The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Rangers re-sign Jacob Trouba

Just now, Alflives said:

Could be.  Jets lost three important D men.  

Yes, gained one though. Pionk.

Not a good net outcome.  But kept Byfuglien & Morrisey.  Most important lefty & most important righty.  Short term anyway.

There window is much more positive if Buff stays healthy.  Obviously, they would have preferred Trouba (younger, would have been long term best righty).  But have to deal with cards dealt.

Just now, Canuck Surfer said:

Yes, gained one though. Pionk.

Not a good net outcome.  But kept Byfuglien & Morrisey.  Most important lefty & most important righty.  Short term anyway.

There window is much more positive if Buff stays healthy.  Obviously, they would have preferred Trouba (younger, would have been long term best righty).  But have to deal with cards dealt.

And the Laine stuff too.  I could see them dropping 10 points.  

Buff is great though.  Wish we had him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Touba is only 25yrs old and has just had a breakout season.  This contract; for a big, hard hitting puck moving RD is pretty darn good.  I'd take him over Meyers every day of the week.

I don't think Trouba had any interest in going to a CDN team though.

The talent's there but later on the Rangers will probably regret it.  He's missed 20-25 games each season in his young career, and if PWF's are any indication, physical guys tend to wear out pretty quickly.  Hope he can be healthy and productive enough to make this worth it.

4 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Myers contract seems more reasonable at 6M. Would love to see Myers bump up to a near 50 points now that he is a top 2 defender. 

If that's what you want to see then we'll all see it. 

It should come to no one's surprise if Tyler surpasses his 48 point rookie season at some point in this contract. Likely next year. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

Meh, Trouba hasn't really earned a payday like that. I get that he will probably be worth $8M per at some point throughout this contract, but he's only had one legitimately good year offensively and 5 decent years.

Trouba was always stuck behind Big Buff on Winnipeg's depth chart but now he will be the "guy" for the Rangers on their backend, quarterbacking their PP for years with the likes of Panarin and Kakko.

Trouba will be worth every penny as he is an all around stud when it comes to playing defense in today's NHL. He is big, fast, has good vision and a balanced blend of stay at home shutdown as well as push the pace-create offense, skill set. I would happily have a player of his ilk on Vancouver for that term and price.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

I know the Jets got fleeced but it was getting pretty obvious that Trouba didn't want to be in Winnipeg anymore. He's clearly been wanting to return to the US since his first round of RFA. The Jets had a chance to win a cup with him on the roster but it didn't work out.

The Rangers will be a pretty dangerous team in like the next 2 years with guys like Trouba, Fox, Skjei patrolling the blueline and guys like Panarin, Buchnevich, and Kaako up front. Only big question mark for them long term is who'll be the next Rangers goalie because Lundqvist isn't getting any younger and I don't believe Alexandar Georgiev is gonna turn into a bonafide NHL starter.

Igor Shestyrokin.

General consensus is he's one of the top 3 "prospect" goalies in the world, except he's been playing against men in the KHL for the past 3 years. He is the heir apparent to the King. If he pans out like pundits think he might, Rangers are loaded, if not, they need a goalie badly lol.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

You're asking a lot. Myers is likely a 35 point guy, but he wasn't brought here to be a 50+ point guy. Quinn has that role covered. 

Im sure you will agree, there is more than enough room for two 50 point defenceman on our roster..

• Upvote 1

I just question the contracts they're throwing out with what they're going to need over the next two years.

They'll have space via expiring contracts but not a lot as they'll need to retain or replace some quality players.  Next year they'll have roughly $16 million in space to sign 8 players on the roster while qualifying up to 9 total players in the system or in the minors.  With the following year being the one in which effectively half of their total defence become UFAs and Lundqvist is gone.

I said before I envy their paper depth but I do not envy their current spate of signings. 

Trouba is a great young player, but one break out year in with he finally played a full season got him a payday that might be hard to justify if he doesn't keep progressing or the Rangers lose some key depth because of it.

Jets did just fine in their deal knowing they were losing a player no matter what who was effectively dictating his market

Edited by Warhippy

7 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Trouba is very good player, I will take his cap hit over what PK, Weber, OEL and Ekblad are making. 

Trouba is unreal and I agree, I'd take him over PK and Ekblad in a heartbeat. OEL, I feel, is very underrated mainly because of the team he plays for.

Weber, on the other hand, has been for several years and when healthy is still arguably the best all around defenceman in the league. If I'm building a team to win now, I take Weber, no question. 

That said, Trouba plays a very similar game to Weber and these kinds of players are very rare. The other one that comes to mind that I'd like to see in Vancouver is Matt Dumba.

I would've loved to have seen Trouba on the Canucks even at 8 mil a year if not for his, me first, american attitude (see Kesler, Ryan). 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, zduck14 said:

Trouba is unreal and I agree, I'd take him over PK and Ekblad in a heartbeat. OEL, I feel, is very underrated mainly because of the team he plays for.

Weber, on the other hand, has been for several years and when healthy is still arguably the best all around defenceman in the league. If I'm building a team to win now, I take Weber, no question. 

That said, Trouba plays a very similar game to Weber and these kinds of players are very rare. The other one that comes to mind that I'd like to see in Vancouver is Matt Dumba.

I would've loved to have seen Trouba on the Canucks even at 8 mil a year if not for his, me first, american attitude (see Kesler, Ryan). 

You would take an aging 33 (34 year old next month) recently injury prone dman who's missed 80 games in the past 2 seasons over a 25 year old Trouba?  Weber is on the decline and Trouba is in his prime. I know you mentioned building a team to win now but with Weber's foot issues, I would go with Trouba.

6'4 229 Weber - 58GP 14G, 19A, 33Pts +15

6'3 202 Trouba- 82 GP, 8 G, 42A, 50Pts. +8

Both physical of course.

I am not sure what you mean by me first American attitude?  Ryan Kesler was Ryan Kesler.  Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg because of his wife's career situation and he had to play on the left side (as they had enough right handed shots on the depth chart.) 

https://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/jacob-trouba-trade-rangers-winnipeg-1.32576195