The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Introducing the 2019-2020 Canucks Power Play (Discussion)

Rate this topic

J.I.A.H.N

Well, with all the additions late last year and this summer, I am interested to see how the Canucks address their special teams. In particular, their power play.

This is what has got me the most excited, as a glimpse of Hughes, Pettersson, and Boeser 3 on 3, just blew me away, at the end of the season, and if the PP coach

doesn't screw it up. I think we will have something special in our man advantages.

It was really seeing teams that could not defend Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser, that go me to thinking how crazy fast and imaginative those 3 were, and how if the Canucks

could add more imaginative and creative players to that trio, how effective our PP could be.

I have 2 PP units in mind, and would like to share why I think they would be effective...…......…......totally different looks

#1. PP...…...…..Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi and Myers...…...…...personally, I would have Myers in the middle, hard up against the Goalie, and let the opponent try and follow the puck while trying to control Myers...…...personally, I don't think many teams could defend, as it basically makes a 4 on 3 PP, goals would be scored down low, but I just don't think they could defend that. it would be exhausting.

#2. PP...………..Horvat, Miller, Ferland, Edler and Benn...………….a totally opposite PP unit that is very heavy, and would really beat on the second string PK unit of the other team, or a very tired 1st PK unit, that could not get off the ice...……..

Like I said, it all depends on who the PP coach is, and how creative he is. 

Man, I can't wait to see those 3 play together...…..I hope they can find player that compliment them style wise

It will be fun!...………….who would like to see out there?..

AS for the PK...……….well you don't take many penalties, if you always have the puck!

Now, Roussel, Eriksson, Benn and Myers

Later...…...Roussel, Gaudette, Benn and Myers

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 4

----------- Horvat ---------
Boeser --- Miller --- Petey

----------- Hughes --------

-------------- Ferland ------------
Baertschi --- Leivo --- Pearson
--------------- Myers --------------

Still have Gaudette, Edler, Virtanen, Goldobin to slot in for different looks.

Myers needs PP time for his value to be worth it. I feel like a bit less PP time for Edler, might allow him to play better defensively. He's going to be needed on the PK a lot.

12 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

1-3-1

Miller

Boeser Horvat Pettersson

Hughes

Either this or (to throw opposing coaches off) we could also swap Hughes for Myers if we want two one-time threats (Pete to Myers or Brock).

Miller can also be swapped for Ferland, but largely agreed we would run a set like this.  Just hope we wouldn't be stacking all our guys in one lineup such that the other is weakened (e.g. depending on how their seasons start, we could swap Bo for Gaudette or Sven to play the bumper role)

I see our PP's lining up as:

PP1:      Miller                         PP2:                            Ferland                                 PP2.5    Ferland

Boeser Horvat Pettersson      Virtanen/Gaudette Pearson/Leivo Baertschi           Boeser Baertschi Pettersson

Hughes                                                            Myers                                                 Myers

I felt one of the weaknesses in the PP last season was that Horvat was not as effective in front of the net as he was when he was the bumper. Miller and Ferland can potentially play net front effectively.

For PP2, if a face off is required, we could have Bo take the draw then switch off. The PP would be run through Baertschi.

The last option is if we decide to double shift our stars on PP2. We saw this happen with Pettersson late on in the season.

Very unorthodox powerplay suggestions.

Your first one has three defensemen, which is almost unheard of and I think lacks both strong offensive options and any good defense (which I believe is required at least a bit in a PP). You also have Juolevi on the PP and I think it's very unlikely that he plays more than a few games this year.

Your second PP is much more reasonable until you get to Benn, who has flashes of offense, but is generally pure defense.

Both of your PP suggestions have the classic 3 forwards - 2 defensemen setup (assuming Hughes is a forward in this case), but this old setup is quite rare in modern hockey. Almost all teams use the 4 fowards - 1 defenseman setup now.

My suggestions for the PP are as follows:

PP1: Miller, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Edler - Miller causes a mess in front of the net, Boeser and Petey can both shoot and pass. Hughes plays as a rover and this operates more like a 4-1 PP than a classic 3-2, despite having 2 defensemen. Edler is a great all-around defenseman. Edler here could be replaced by Myers if we want more balanced PPs.

PP2: Baertschi, Horvat, Ferland, Pearson, Myers - This PP is a bit more based on hard work in the corners and in front of the net by Pearson and Ferland, but Baertschi and Horvat have shown chemistry and could make some pretty plays. Myers has shown a penchant for playing the PP and should provide a strong level of offense from the blue line. The one thing this line does lack is strong defense from the back end, as Myers has also been known to burn his teams defensively sometimes. Could be exchanged with Edler for more stability.

• Upvote 2

Whatever the combinations, there are much more solid options for Green for 1 great unit and 1 decent unit.

The additions of Myers, Hughes, Pearson, Ferland, Miller, and with Baertschi hopefully being healthy, our pp will no longer involve Eriksson or Hutton.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Very unorthodox powerplay suggestions.

Your first one has three defensemen, which is almost unheard of and I think lacks both strong offensive options and any good defense (which I believe is required at least a bit in a PP). You also have Juolevi on the PP and I think it's very unlikely that he plays more than a few games this year.

Your second PP is much more reasonable until you get to Benn, who has flashes of offense, but is generally pure defense.

Both of your PP suggestions have the classic 3 forwards - 2 defensemen setup (assuming Hughes is a forward in this case), but this old setup is quite rare in modern hockey. Almost all teams use the 4 fowards - 1 defenseman setup now.

My suggestions for the PP are as follows:

PP1: Miller, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, Edler - Miller causes a mess in front of the net, Boeser and Petey can both shoot and pass. Hughes plays as a rover and this operates more like a 4-1 PP than a classic 3-2, despite having 2 defensemen. Edler is a great all-around defenseman. Edler here could be replaced by Myers if we want more balanced PPs.

PP2: Baertschi, Horvat, Ferland, Pearson, Myers - This PP is a bit more based on hard work in the corners and in front of the net by Pearson and Ferland, but Baertschi and Horvat have shown chemistry and could make some pretty plays. Myers has shown a penchant for playing the PP and should provide a strong level of offense from the blue line. The one thing this line does lack is strong defense from the back end, as Myers has also been known to burn his teams defensively sometimes. Could be exchanged with Edler for more stability.

Actually AJ

The problem with the Canucks PP, was that they were using a 4-1, but it was very static, with little player movement, and whether you are running a traditional 3-2 or a more contemporary 4-1, they are very easy to defend if stationary.  now, as for the PK, if your opponent is busy trying to move a stationary screen, while trying to follow a puck, that is being moved quickly, and while players are not stationary, outside of the screen, well that is very hard to defend against. What I see with Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes is a 3 man cycle, in comparison to the Sedin's old 2 man cycle. IMO, they are in a very select group that can pull this off. What I seen of these 3 last year was the unpredictability of when they break in and how fast they get to a shooting lane or a passing lane. It is very Harlem Globe Trotters like, if you will. Extremely hard to defend against. So much movement.

I will say this, if the screen is a little higher in the slot, it makes it very hard for defenders to get around from one side or the other, or it take 2 defenders to pass off the screen, when the puck changes sides of the ice. All this creates calamity, which is what you want as a PP unit. And that puck moves a lot quicker than stationary PK players.

Now, I added Juolevi, because of his passing ability and his ability to move in from the point and use his wrist shot. IMO, he ran the Finnish PP is juniors that way, and he was outstanding doing it. It may end up being why he gets kept up, or called up early. (That will depend on a lot of things) But people seem to not understand his upside is very offensive, and very much focused on his passing and IQ. (Juolevi will be good on the PP if given time to mold with the other 3 IMO)

As for Myers being the screen...….it could be anyone, and he may not be the right guy and better off on the 2nd unit.

I will say this about PP configurations, and who mans them. A 4-1 vs a 3-2, is a interesting dilemma as, it totally depends on who you have to put into those positions. for example, if you have big point shot guys, you may want to have a more traditional 3-2, but then again, if you have 2 very mobile defensemen or 2 that have very high IQ. you may be able to pull the PK guys out of position.....but again, it all depends what personnel you have, and if your coach utilises them properly.

But, in saying all that......it won't matter a pinch of Coon shat, if the PP coach is out of his league...…..personally, I do not care what and who are used outside of keeping those 3 together on the PP, it will be where they shine. I personally think you are going to see a lot of highlites from them. (And I can not wait to watch it happen in Vancouver) 

But the whole point of posting this thread was to draw out other opinions, so I hope you find it interesting...…..

PS....good points and suggestions in your response, just thought I would answer you why I thought it that way...……...not the end all to be all...…..just an idea.

Cheers!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, with all the additions late last year and this summer, I am interested to see how the Canucks address their special teams. In particular, their power play.

This is what has got me the most excited, as a glimpse of Hughes, Pettersson, and Boeser 3 on 3, just blew me away, at the end of the season, and if the PP coach

doesn't screw it up. I think we will have something special in our man advantages.

It was really seeing teams that could not defend Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser, that go me to thinking how crazy fast and imaginative those 3 were, and how if the Canucks

could add more imaginative and creative players to that trio, how effective our PP could be.

I have 2 PP units in mind, and would like to share why I think they would be effective...…......…......totally different looks

#1. PP...…...…..Hughes, Pettersson, Boeser, Juolevi and Myers...…...…...personally, I would have Myers in the middle, hard up against the Goalie, and let the opponent try and follow the puck while trying to control Myers...…...personally, I don't think many teams could defend, as it basically makes a 4 on 3 PP, goals would be scored down low, but I just don't think they could defend that. it would be exhausting.

#2. PP...………..Horvat, Miller, Ferland, Edler and Benn...………….a totally opposite PP unit that is very heavy, and would really beat on the second string PK unit of the other team, or a very tired 1st PK unit, that could not get off the ice...……..

Like I said, it all depends on who the PP coach is, and how creative he is. 

Man, I can't wait to see those 3 play together...…..I hope they can find player that compliment them style wise

It will be fun!...………….who would like to see out there?..

AS for the PK...……….well you don't take many penalties, if you always have the puck!

Now, Roussel, Eriksson, Benn and Myers

Later...…...Roussel, Gaudette, Benn and Myers

using 5 d men on the power play units  who gonna play d after pp is over ?   the d men aren't gonna last  if you did that 

• Haha 1

1st PP:                  Horvat

Boeser - Baertschi - Pettersson

Hughes

Go with a 4 forward set. Horvat centers, plays the net front presence, end boards puck retrieval, Petey and Boeser from the half walls, Baer in the high slot, Hughes QB.

2nd PP:                Ferland 

Leivo/Virtanen - Miller - Goldobin/Edler

Myers/Edler

Miller as center, setting up in the high slot, Ferland as net front pain in the ass, rebound pouncer on-er, Leivo has a good shot from the half wall (Virtanen, if he shows more offensively early season), Goldobin, if we want to go with a 4 forward set on both (Edler if we want a 2-D set up), Myers hammering from the point (unless 4 forward set, then Edler).

4 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Just hope we wouldn't be stacking all our guys in one lineup such that the other is weakened (e.g. depending on how their seasons start, we could swap Bo for Gaudette or Sven to play the bumper role)

I worried about exactly this, when I posted my proposed PP units.  My own guess is one of Horvat or Miller will centre the 2knd PP.

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

1-3-1

Miller

Boeser Horvat Pettersson

Hughes

This just looked soooo good!

30 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

1st PP:                  Horvat

Boeser - Baertschi - Pettersson

Hughes

This could be a great alternative. Baer add's more puck skill, less bang and battle. If I add Baer I'd probably have him set up in Gretzky's office to make passes out front.

Baertschi

Boeser Horvat Pettersson

Hughes

It also leaves the 2knd PP with Miller and Ferland, then one of Pearson or Leivo.  For a 2knd unit that could bang & crush away as an identity.  Jake could find his way on there as well?  

Ferland Miller Pearson

Myers Edler

I am way more confident in that 2knd unit with Miller as its pivot? Than Gaudette.

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Now, I added Juolevi, because of his passing ability and his ability to move in from the point and use his wrist shot. IMO, he ran the Finnish PP is juniors that way, and he was outstanding doing it. It may end up being why he gets kept up, or called up early. (That will depend on a lot of things) But people seem to not understand his upside is very offensive, and very much focused on his passing and IQ. (Juolevi will be good on the PP if given time to mold with the other 3 IMO)

I like this post Jan!

In the short run, I believe Hughes is just more compelling in doing the same thing. And Juolevi has to make the team out of camp? I also have one of my sets as 4 forwards.  Therefore 3 D men for the two units.  And I saw veterans Edler & Myers as more likely to contribute, both offering a bigger shot!

In the long run, two years from now? He will at some stage pass Edler on PP depth charts as Alex's career winds down. I then see Juolevi a key contributor!

Boeser Horvat Petey

Juolevi Hughes

Edited by Canuck Surfer
  • Upvote 1