The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL.com Fantasy: Canucks could surprise this season?

Rate this topic

Disgruntler

Thing is analysts always want to be safe in their predictions otherwise if they’re different than everyone and they’re wrong they’re gonna look stupid.  That’s why all analysts tend to stay the course with their predictions.  Even with the huge turnover of playoff teams from year to year, analysts still always choose 14-15 of the same teams from last years playoffs to be in this year.  They only ever spit old news.  Therefore it’s come to be expected, but I think the Canucks could even challenge for the division this year with San Jose and Vegas getting significantly weaker, and who knows what the Lames do.

I don't really see us passing Vegas.

1.San Jose

2.Calgary

3.Vegas

Almost guaranteed. Wild card will be between Arizona and Vancouver. And Arizona got a lot better this offseason and, if healthy, could knock the Canucks out.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

1.San Jose

2.Calgary

3.Vegas

Almost guaranteed. Wild card will be between Arizona and Vancouver. And Arizona got a lot better this offseason and, if healthy, could knock the Canucks out.

Yeah now that the mighty Phil Kessel has landed in the desert, we better watch out for those Coyotes :bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Baer. said:

They would have made the playoffs last year if they were healthy.

Yes and we might have as well. (If healthy)

I think we're more improved than they are to be honest. And since the Doaner retired they've had no leadership lol

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

Yes and we might have as well. (If healthy)

I think we're more improved than they are to be honest. And since the Doaner retired they've had no leadership lol

True I guess what I am saying is don't underestimate Vegas or Arizona (or Vancouver for that matter) I think all 3 have an equal shot at making the playoffs. Vegas maybe having a slight edge of Fleury stays healthy

Figured id post the part about the Canucks for anyone that doesn't want to go on NHL.com (lol)

Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver hung around the playoff race for a while last season before fading down the stretch and missing out for the fourth consecutive season. Offense was again an issue for the Canucks, who were tied for 25th in goals per game last season (2.67) and rank last in the NHL (2.44) over the past four seasons.

However, the Canucks have a bright future with elite center Elias Pettersson, who led all rookies with 66 points (28 goals, 38 assists) and won the Calder Trophy last season despite being limited to 71 games because of injury. Center Bo Horvat took a big step forward on a separate line from Pettersson last season, scoring an NHL career-high 61 points (27 goals, 34 assists) and leading the League with 2,018 face-off attempts (won 53.7 percent). Right wing Brock Boeser was also limited by injury but had 56 points (26 goals, 30 assists) in 69 games.

This offseason, the Canucks acquired forward J.T. Miller (from Tampa Bay Lightning on June 22), who had 47 points (13 goals, 34 assists), 20 on the power play, in 75 games in mostly a third-line role last season. Miller scored at least 22 goals in each of the prior three seasons and will likely play with either Pettersson or Horvat at even strength. Vancouver also signed wing Micheal Ferland on July 10; he has had consecutive seasons of at least 40 points and provided strong hits coverage (182 in 71 games) for the Carolina Hurricanes last season.

The Canucks defense should also be improved after they signed Tyler Myers (31 points; nine goals, 22 assists with Winnipeg Jets last season) and Jordie Benn on July 1, and Vancouver will have rookie Quinn Hughes, the No. 7 pick in the 2018 NHL Draft who had three assists in five games, for a full season. If sleeper goalie Jacob Markstrom can perform like he did in his final 40 games (20-14-6, .921 SV%), Vancouver could claim a wild card or possibly even sneak into the top three of the Pacific Division.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Baer. said:

1.San Jose

2.Calgary

3.Vegas

Vancouver got alot better this summer as well, like Arizona we will have to wait and see how it turns into results on the ice

• Upvote 2

We didnt have a very good record against San Jose or Vegas last season. We have improved greatly and should give them both a better run for their money.

We may not have the same depth as Vegas but we should be more competitive against them head on.

San Jose is not the team they were last year even with Thornton back,

Calgary just something about that team does not smell of success, their goal tending is suspect again, I still see the Canucks being in the games with them as they were last year.

I think the teams we have to beat on a regular basis to make the playoffs are in California, Have a winning record against the Kings Ducks and Sharks and we should move up in the standings. We have given up too many points the last two years to those teams.

GM improved the team a lot in this summer. He added three wings (including Pearson), and 2 quality defense.  If Marky could keep his level as the second last of prior season, and the team does not hurt too much by injury, Vancouver most likely will be one of the first three rankings in the division. I guess Vegas, Vancouver and Arizona will be very close in the coming season, and over SJ, Ducks, LA, Oilers and Flame.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I been saying all summer I believe in this team. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest to pass one or both of San Jose or Calgary for a divisional spot.

I think we pass Vegas too.  We will finish top of our division.  

Vancouver

Calgary

Vegas

• Upvote 1

I don't see us beating out Vegas but I could see us stealing a spot from either Calgary or San Jose. San Jose's best players are getting up there, even with Pavelski moving on, and I feel like a lot of folks are underestimating our roster. Calgary doesn't scare me either, they still need to sign Tkachuk and they swapped goaltenders with Edmonton which doesn't say much for them. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't see us beating out Vegas but I could see us stealing a spot from either Calgary or San Jose. San Jose's best players are getting up there, even with Pavelski moving on, and I feel like a lot of folks are underestimating our roster. Calgary doesn't scare me either, they still need to sign Tkachuk and they swapped goaltenders with Edmonton which doesn't say much for them. 

And the Flames swapped Neal out for Lucic.  :lol:

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Vegas

San Jose

Vancouver

Calgary

Arizona

Edmonton

Anaheim

L.A.