The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Catholic school bans 'Harry Potter' books because they contain 'actual curses and spells'

JM_

13 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

This might just be my indoctrinated education at work but I'm fairly certain the Bolshevik Revolution succeeded. 

In the short term, it did.  But the Provisional Government that was attempted to be installed did not last long at all for many reasons.  Most notably because the minds of the Russian people were not ready to accept communism.  That's why Gramsci's plan is genius and is working so successfully.  Get the minds of the upcoming generations, especially in the learning institutions, and what you have is minds that WANT communism instead of trying to force it on people that will ultimately reject it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bocivus said:

In the short term, it did.  But the Provisional Government that was attempted to be installed did not last long at all for many reasons.  Most notably because the minds of the Russian people were not ready to accept communism.  That's why Gramsci's plan is genius and is working so successfully.  Get the minds of the upcoming generations, especially in the learning institutions, and what you have is minds that WANT communism instead of trying to force it on people that will ultimately reject it. 

Man, I’m sure the US would feel silly knowing they engaged in the Cold War for nothing, since you know, there wasn’t a communist superpower who opposed them during it, according to you.

Edited by HerrDrFunk

Almost rather have my kid go to a school that bans fantasy for some insane reason than have them in what passes as a public school room these days. 

Pick your indoc-poison. 

I’d rather my kid be not able to have access to Harry Potter than be surrounded by posters like this one which was on the halls of our local elementary schools.

B4E4939C-3546-4409-9794-7DB679CC9D89.jpeg.90036fa3413307d7259d4ade6ba9186b.jpeg

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Almost rather have my kid go to a school that bans fantasy for some insane reason than have them in what passes as a public school room these days. 

Pick your indoc-poison. 

I’d rather my kid be not able to have access to Harry Potter than be surrounded by posters like this one which was on the halls of our local elementary schools.

Do you not get it? Don’t care? What’s your actual issue with it. 

55 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Pick your indoc-poison. 

I don't see how erroneously banning books that contain "spells and curses" equates to the ridiculous virtue signaling by Teresa Downs.

The private school in Nashville, while epically moronic in their choice to ban Harry Potter books, has the right to do so. That being said, if those schools choose to do so, they shouldn't receive a cent of funding or support from the municipal, state or federal level.

The pretension of the campaign that Downs floated could be cut with a knife. I've personally never benefitted from the color of my skin, so the concept of white privilege is, too me, a hollow, far-left construct. In the neighborhoods that I've lived in, I've noticed that privilege comes with one thing, and one thing only.....money. Not pigmentation.

• Cheers 3

39 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't see how erroneously banning books that contain "spells and curses" equates to the ridiculous virtue signaling by Teresa Downs.

The private school in Nashville, while epically moronic in their choice to ban Harry Potter books, has the right to do so. That being said, if those schools choose to do so, they shouldn't receive a cent of funding or support from the municipal, state or federal level.

The pretension of the campaign that Downs floated could be cut with a knife. I've personally never benefitted from the color of my skin, so the concept of white privilege is, too me, a hollow, far-left construct. In the neighborhoods that I've lived in, I've noticed that privilege comes with one thing, and one thing only.....money. Not pigmentation.

part of the problem is people can take over legitimate concerns with things like posters. If you look at something like the rate people get pulled over by the police, "driving while black" is a real thing, no one got pulled over for "driving while Irish" in the last 75 years. There's other real areas of inequality like jobs, etc. So the idea originally was you are "privileged" by the virtue that you don't have these barriers if you're white in north America. But unfortunately all the different camps come along and twist it and use whatever angle of it to get their point out and nothing has happened to help the original problem. 

Things like this book banning are just publicity stunts. What scares me is how many followers are willing to believe it. 

5 hours ago, Bocivus said:

that, or the fact that we've screwed young people out of housing options. 

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

part of the problem is people can take over legitimate concerns with things like posters.

The poster was a stupid idea that wasn't even discussed with parents in the region before being done.

If you look at something like the rate people get pulled over by the police, "driving while black" is a real thing, no one got pulled over for "driving while Irish" in the last 75 years.

I would say, in various areas within the US, and certainly some in Canada, many law enforcement organizations have either been trained or been indoctrinated to select certain racial profiles for pulling over and interrogating. I'm not denying that discrimination exists, and that it has had a horrific effect on millions of peoples lives.

Being someone of Irish descent, I've heard horror stories from the Troubles and further back in time. Friends of mine who are Italian/Spanish/Portuguese ran into horrible discrimination in Ontario in the 60's as well.

What I'm getting at is that privilege is more often than not, dictated by those who have the power to sway public opinion, and that is usually not possible for those with limited economic means to do.

There's other real areas of inequality like jobs, etc. So the idea originally was you are "privileged" by the virtue that you don't have these barriers if you're white in north America.

I've had to struggle and work hard to get where I am, and have never experienced a situation where I benefited from the color of my skin. Maybe growing up in Vancouver when I did attributes to it, as at the time, it was a pretty equal playing field for everyone, in my opinion. If I grew up in Mobile, Alabama, it might be singing a different tune.

I think though that these statements, like white privilege from the far left, or the denial of racism (and the idea of racial purity) from the far right, are distractions that prevent good people from all over the world from truly getting together.

But unfortunately all the different camps come along and twist it and use whatever angle of it to get their point out and nothing has happened to help the original problem. 

That comes from people actually meaning to sincerely effect change through being responsible to their fellow human. Making posters doesn't effect the change necessary. It's a band-aid solution.

Honestly, anthropology and human origins should be a requisite subject that should be taught to children at an early age. Give kids the facts about the fact that all humans are the exact same species of hominid, and that the differences in complexion and physical structure are dictated by environment and location in reference to the equator.

It's truly fascinating stuff, and would cut through the ideological BS with scientific fact.

Things like this book banning are just publicity stunts. What scares me is how many followers are willing to believe it. 

I think that they might actually be sincere in the decision to ban the books, which is truly frightening. How fiction can become non-fiction to people is stupefying.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The poster was a stupid idea that wasn't even discussed with parents in the region before being done.

I would say, in various areas within the US, and certainly some in Canada, many law enforcement organizations have either been trained or been indoctrinated to select certain racial profiles for pulling over and interrogating. I'm not denying that discrimination exists, and that it has had a horrific effect on millions of peoples lives.

Being someone of Irish descent, I've heard horror stories from the Troubles and further back in time. Friends of mine who are Italian/Spanish/Portuguese ran into horrible discrimination in Ontario in the 60's as well.

What I'm getting at is that privilege is more often than not, dictated by those who have the power to sway public opinion, and that is usually not possible for those with limited economic means to do.

I've had to struggle and work hard to get where I am, and have never experienced a situation where I benefited from the color of my skin. Maybe growing up in Vancouver when I did attributes to it, as at the time, it was a pretty equal playing field for everyone, in my opinion. If I grew up in Mobile, Alabama, it might be singing a different tune.

I think though that these statements, like white privilege from the far left, or the denial of racism (and the idea of racial purity) from the far right, are distractions that prevent good people from all over the world from truly getting together.

That comes from people actually meaning to sincerely effect change through being responsible to their fellow human. Making posters doesn't effect the change necessary. It's a band-aid solution.

Honestly, anthropology and human origins should be a requisite subject that should be taught to children at an early age. Give kids the facts about the fact that all humans are the exact same species of hominid, and that the differences in complexion and physical structure are dictated by environment and location in reference to the equator.

It's truly fascinating stuff, and would cut through the ideological BS with scientific fact.

I think that they might actually be sincere in the decision to ban the books, which is truly frightening. How fiction can become non-fiction to people is stupefying.

yeah I do think there is a lot of people taking over the discussions. Or meme's now, which seem to be stand-in's for actual discussion. As far as the poster-thing goes, I guess we can give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she was trying to do some good? but its just too easy for someone to take that poster and use it as an "example" of how the world is turning to crap or some such other narrative, when in reality it was just kind of one misguided effort at worst (imo anyway).

I always go back to what do the real numbers say. If there's real inequality it will be measurable, If something is working to make it better we will know.