The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canes sign Roland Mckeown

cuporbust

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I wonder if Vey will ever find his way back to the NHL? Similar age KHL players with similar stats seem to get looks from NHL teams every year, some even commanding pretty decent money, and/or assets paid for rights. I’d love to see Vey come back and shock everyone by becoming a legit top-6 NHLer in his late 20s and 30s. Kid went through so much **** over the years, would be a really nice story if he ever managed to put together a successful career in the NHL (not that being a top KHLer is anything to sneeze at really).

Oh, and on topic: McKeown... meh. ;) 

Would be nice to see.  I enjoyed when Rob Brown (one time NHL All Star turned into hockey's version of Crash Davis) got a second career as an older player in his "Penguins Trottier years."

Even old Alexander Daigle got a second kick at the big show way down the road.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Signing] Canes sign Roland Mckeown

Really wish we would've kept that picked and signed a player in free agency to play the role that Vey played. We could've gotten Donato or Montour had we kept that picked. McKeown isn't anything to sneeze at either. I think he can still be a bottom pairing guy and a solid 2nd unit PP QB 

10 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Really wish we would've kept that picked and signed a player in free agency to play the role that Vey played. We could've gotten Donato or Montour had we kept that picked. McKeown isn't anything to sneeze at either. I think he can still be a bottom pairing guy and a solid 2nd unit PP QB 

Vey was a good player. He had good AHL stats and he did produce for Vancouver, although much of the hate seems to be HOW he was deployed by Desjardins. He was definitely "gifted" minutes but did the Canucks really have another option? Our prospect cupboard was so bare. We literally did not have any younger players to fill the gap.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Vey was a good player. He had good AHL stats and he did produce for Vancouver, although much of the hate seems to be HOW he was deployed by Desjardins. He was definitely "gifted" minutes but did the Canucks really have another option? Our prospect cupboard was so bare. We literally did not have any younger players to fill the gap.

They could've signed a UFA

5 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

He was a 23 year old when we acquired him who just had 48 points in 43 games in the NHL and was progressing every year in the AHL. He looked like someone who simply didn't have a spot to crack on a very good LA Kings roster. I think the expectations of what he could've been was much higher than what we got, but I doubt we also expected or knew of the crazy off ice issues he was having.

Easy to say what we could've/should've done at this point, but we also could've drafted any of the 4 guys that went after McKeown that hasn't played an NHL game thus far also. That 2nd was an extra pick we had from moving a vet in Garrison, so they took a gamble on getting someone that could've been more ready now than later. We had already drafted Demko at that point, plus two 1st round picks and Tryamkin not long after the traded 2nd.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

On 9/4/2019 at 3:15 PM, Dazzle said:

not only did you drink the Kool-aid, you continue to serve up the Kool-aid

Aside from Morrssex 95 giving you another option,

they

Probably could have picked Vey off the waiver wire

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, lmm said:

not only did you drink the Kool-aid, you continue to serve up the Kool-aid

Aside from Morrssex 95 giving you another option,

they

Probably could have picked Vey off the waiver wire

It's funny though - we have no way of knowing whether or not Vey would've been available on waivers, since it never happened.

Not sure how that makes your point more valid. It's like saying "I probably will sleep with your wife or girlfriend tonight.". It's the same logic.

17 hours ago, Dazzle said:

It's funny though - we have no way of knowing whether or not Vey would've been available on waivers, since it never happened.

Not sure how that makes your point more valid. It's like saying "I probably will sleep with your wife or girlfriend tonight.". It's the same logic.

see that is the problem with the Kool-aid your drinkin'. It makes you delusional.

Get back to me when you have probably slept with my wife and my girlfriend.

I'll probably shake your hand.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lmm said:

see that is the problem with the Kool-aid your drinkin'. It makes you delusional.

Get back to me when you have probably slept with my wife and my girlfriend.

I'll probably shake your hand.

*you're

Nah. I'm not delusional. Your logic is trash.