The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

That is unfortunate to hear. I think it was Craig Button that had him way lower in the draft due to his low hockey IQ, maybe Button was right about that. Kind of sad if he doesn't know where he needs to be after being around the club for a few years now. I want him to succeed but his chances are running out with the Canucks, 1 maybe 2 more years before we might see him moved if he can't improve

His ceiling may be low... but there's way to overcome the "low IQ".... it's call giving a damn and listening to the coaches.  

Raffi Torres should be a model to what JV should be.  Whatever Torres' reputation became, he was a very physical and strong player.... just his style of play isn't appropriate in the NHL anymore.  Torres' game was relatively simple.... skate hard, aggressive fore check, crash/bang around the net.  He was usually noticeable.  

JV just needs to do the same.  He will never be good enough to be an elite player in the NHL, so either he will need to play with the tools he has, or he'll just be a less aggressive version of Zack Kassian.... teams always taking a chance in "unlocking him" due to his size and skill.... or playing in other leagues.  

Sometimes I wish that Bieksa was still around (or some veteran/leader) on the team will just totally smack him around for him to get with the program.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I agree he was drafted as a LW in junior. He is built like Ovie, who also plays the off wing. Would love to see him get a long look on the LW, but we are quite deep on the right side...

The Hitmen post their opening lineup with positions - they had Virtanen playing RW as the season went along.  In his draft+1 he started at RW all games save 1 - there was a blog that tracked all opening lineups and someone posted all the opening lines on HF - it's probably still up there.  His main opposite wingers were Rankin and Helgesen who are both LWs.  Benning talked of how Kassian was a RW and trading for Prust a LW would open up a spot for Virtanen as he is a RW like Kassian.  Green calls him a natural RW.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

That is unfortunate to hear. I think it was Craig Button that had him way lower in the draft due to his low hockey IQ, maybe Button was right about that. Kind of sad if he doesn't know where he needs to be after being around the club for a few years now. I want him to succeed but his chances are running out with the Canucks, 1 maybe 2 more years before we might see him moved if he can't improve

Probably should have happened sooner but this organization has been burnt too many times on giving up on powerforwards too early.

6 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Top excuse of getting kicked out of the lower seats when you actually have the nose bleed sections ;)

Haha. I uploaded a photo of my other seat. :D I was in section 112 when I was meant to be in 113 lol. Same seat and row tho! I was close

1 hour ago, kirk mcleans baby said:

Well that was definitely worth the $5 fee!  What a great day, and got 25 sigs to go with an awesome experience..... Including Pettersson and Hughes!!! ::D :frantic:

Oh.... how can I forget?! :picard:   I also saw my 'dad' there, Captain Kirk himself!  He was just taken' it easy with us fans in the stands!! :wub:

jersey.thumb.png.57c2537e0e721f0320c2cbbbddd5ef84.png

Did Virtanen sign anything ? :unsure:  I thought he was pretty fan friendly before, but heard he was jetting quick this camp after sessions

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

His ceiling may be low... but there's way to overcome the "low IQ".... it's call giving a damn and listening to the coaches.  

Raffi Torres should be a model to what JV should be.  Whatever Torres' reputation became, he was a very physical and strong player.... just his style of play isn't appropriate in the NHL anymore.  Torres' game was relatively simple.... skate hard, aggressive fore check, crash/bang around the net.  He was usually noticeable.  

JV just needs to do the same.  He will never be good enough to be an elite player in the NHL, so either he will need to play with the tools he has, or he'll just be a less aggressive version of Zack Kassian.... teams always taking a chance in "unlocking him" due to his size and skill.... or playing in other leagues.  

Sometimes I wish that Bieksa was still around (or some veteran/leader) on the team will just totally smack him around for him to get with the program.  

Oh man if JV can be anything like Raffi Torres when he was here that would be awesome. Torres was a bit inconsistent in terms of goal production, but physicality, that was consistent. Every game you can count on a big hit or a pissed off defenceman taking a penalty. Ive said this many times, Torres contribution to the Canucks making it to the finals is very very understated

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TU90 said:

Had a lot of fun there today - went by myself (no kids) so I could take it all in.

Miller really impressed me all camp - great pickup.

Petey is a man among boys. Just unbelievable. Stayed again after for so long to sign something for everyone - no one else out there with him.

Bo looked really good in the scrimmage as well - had some really nice moves.

Virtanen has no idea what he's doing out there. Bumps into people on the boards sometimes and skates to the bench.

Gaudette looks much improved which is great to see. Just need to get Sutter out of here so he can take his place in the lineup.

As I was leaving (stuck around for the start of Group C), I ran into Baer, Gaudette and Schaller walking down the street. Didn't say anything though.. should have.

With or without Sutter, our boy Gaudz gets double digit goals this year. Bank on it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Thanks for the rundown...it's good to hear the Baer is back...

This could be quite a year...there are as many as 8-9 possible 20 goal scorers as well as 3 locks to hit 30 if healthy...given that BB is here from day 1...

EP, BB, BH, Ferland, Miller, Baer, Sutter, Virtanen, Pearson and even Goldy or Gaudette if he got the season in...

That's 11 guys without mentioning Eriksson....!

Gaudette, or Miller picking up pivot shifts?  We need a 3rd C driving offense.

• Cheers 2