The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

Oh FFS now he doesn't even get to be called Brock Boeser anymore? Come on, guys lol

Keep in mind we have some very young fans on this board.  It's to be expected.  Hopefully Brock will be signed very soon and all will be well in Canuckland; if only for a few moments.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

Keep in mind we have some very young fans on this board.  It's to be expected.  Hopefully Brock will be signed very soon and all will be well in Canuckland; if only for a few moments.

Yeah I just think it's insane that people are already saying "Oh let's just throw Gaudette or Goldobin on the first line, we'll be fine" as if Boeser not being in the lineup is somehow easily replaceable. But yeah. Internet gonna do internet things!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BrockBoester said:

Yeah I just think it's insane that people are already saying "Oh let's just throw Gaudette or Goldobin on the first line, we'll be fine" as if Boeser not being in the lineup is somehow easily replaceable. But yeah. Internet gonna do internet things!

to be fair, it's BB who has decided to miss camp.  Of course there's going to be blowback from that........all things considered it's been pretty civil.  However, the long this goes on, the higher the probability that we might not see BB in blue and green

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, brownky said:

He might be.

Maybe Gaudette decides that BOOM he's Willy Karlsson now that he gets a shot at the scoring line. Who knows?

He does have a nice one timer and wrist shot. I believe his playmaking is good two.

The thought of him on the first line isn't far fetched as he has the tool box. Before we got Ferland and miller I had him auditioning for a top 6 RW spot

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wanless said:

He does have a nice one timer and wrist shot. I believe his playmaking is good two.

The thought of him on the first line isn't far fetched as he has the tool box. Before we got Ferland and miller I had him auditioning for a top 6 RW spot

When a guy's "position" is pre-determined by his draft slot, on 'either end', is kind of unfair. It's really easy to take a guy drafted in the first round and plunk him on the expected first line... line... meanwhile a guy picked in the 4th is "destined to be a checker forever".

Meanwhile, all it really means is X player "was" good when he was 17/18/19 playing against 17/18/19 year olds.

I'm far from "good" but if someone drafted me 10 years ago compared to now, it wouldn't even be remotely close - I'm *way* better now than I was then. It stands to reason that other players will go down the same road.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, the grinder said:

yep he has good positioning .good stick. , he may have a problem with playing against  bigger players , but he will figure it out 

He is adapt at lifting sticks and stealing pucks.  With his skating and IQ, I don't think he will be a liability defensively, but he will get out muscled when his bag if tricks isn't an option.  

If the puck lands on his stick, it's going the other way.  

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Vanisleryan said:

Was at the scrimmage today, few observations. The obvious...Petey and Hughes are amazing. Ferland looked great with EP40, he’s a big boy too, so glad he’s on our team now. Jake was just out there running around with basically no purpose or direction half the time, a few times he actually turned to the refs looking for calls, couldn’t believe it. I’m all for packaging him in a Loiu trade at this point. Gaudette looked great, looking much stronger on the puck a long the boards too. MDP looked good, he’ll develop nicely over the years. We’ve got good goaltending between the pipes for years to come. Myers is huge and has a cannon of a shot. Can’t wait for the season to start.

Its almost like JV is putting JB into a spot to have to deal him.  

9 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

I would say he has the makings of being better than Reinhart.  

i agree, but only time will tell. imo, reinhart was the best offensive d-man we’ve had here. he and macinnis was one of the greatest pp tandems in the league. if he had played his career here, instead of just 2 years, people would hold him in higher regard. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

i agree, but only time will tell. imo, reinhart was the best offensive d-man we’ve had here. he and macinnis was one of the greatest pp tandems in the league. if he had played his career here, instead of just 2 years, people would hold him in higher regard. 

For sure.  Reinhart would have been better appreciated had he spent more time here. 

It is telling how much we need Hughes when his only comparison in our club history is Reinhart.  

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

It's amazing, especially considering that this is the same board that was mocking the TO fans for $&!#-talking Marner when he wasn't signed. 

If we start the season without Boes for a significant amount of time, I think people are going to be surprised by how woefully inept we'll be on the wing, considering that outside of Boeser, we only have one guy that generally averages more than a half PPG pace in Miller.