The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

Captain should play a prominent role on the team in terms of ice time and score sheet and also be a mature person who doesn't lose focus. Sounds like Bo is the guy. Love EP but still too raw in his emotion and dealings with the media.  

I am a supporter of this management group but if there is one thing they can make them lose my support, it would be choosing someone like Sutter or Edler as captain over Bo because of seniority. Well, if not for Bo, Edler may be more deserving of the role but Bo is the closest we have to Linden since, well, Linden. 

C: Bo

A: Sutter/Beagle, Edler

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Rush17 said:

..........Personally I find this distasteful and extremely gross. If you are meant to be captain you shouldn't have to publically lobby for it. It is an honour given and him even expecting his name in the conversation bugs me. 

I think he should stop talking on the matter. Let things play out. Does this bother anyone else?

I really don't think that's the case. BH seems to come off to me as a humble, stand up guy and only stating that if it's to be, he'll take the reigns and be the guy. 

Yes he was touted as future captain material in his draft and the departure of Hank has put that mantle on BH. He knows it, you know it, we all know it. Even Jonathan Toews knows it! A captainless hockey team is not uncommon. That being said..................

Bo is the #1 choice for the "C". Go Bo! 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Rush17 said:

This is the like the fourth time he's talked about the captaincy in the last two years. First his dad came out saying he would be a great captain in Vancouver and here is another comment from Bo himself.

Personally I find this distasteful and extremely gross. If you are meant to be captain you shouldn't have to publically lobby for it. It is an honour given and him even expecting his name in the conversation bugs me. 

I think he should stop talking on the matter. Let things play out. Does this bother anyone else?

I'm actually quite surprised that you feel that way.

I'd prefer Bo to say what he feels rather than pretend to be humble and decline. In my opinion, pretension is more gross and disgusting. If he says something like "no, I don't feel like I'm ready for the role." Then what should the team do? And if the team decides to select him, then should he act all surprised and all? "Oh! no! I didn't expect to be picked! Why me? I'm just a humble hockey player..." That would be gross.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

How about Kurtenbach?

Yes you could include Orland possibly. His sweater is not in the rafters, nonetheless he is in the ROH and was the Canucks first captain. Unfortunately, he is not really known to fans except for us old timers ;) 

10 hours ago, Outsiders said:

@Rush17 You should feel embarrassed. Reading this thread you continue to back track on your original post and I don't have time for it. 

I do not feel embarrassed. I stand by my belief that it is to early to name a captain with so many young core players just entering into the league. 

10 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

@Rush17 highlighting how clueless he can be sometimes. Terrible thread, did Bo steal your girl? Why are you always hating on him? 

:lol:

12 hours ago, Jester13 said:

You're frustrated because you don't know what leadership or captain material is. You think it's based on skill, and staying quiet on the subject when asked, and no one in the hockey world besides you and maybe the crew at 1040 would say such a thing. 

Everyone has pegged Bo as our next captain for many years already because he's the epitome of an NHL leader. He showed it early, his family displayed his values coming from solid roots, and his teammates all know he's their leader. Henrik first had to retire, the team allowed a respectful grace period, and they will soon name Bo on our 50th anniversary. There simply is no argument that holds water which says otherwise. 

I was frustrated yes. The hype around Bo being the chosen one is infuriating. I believe if you have a special player with the right mindset they should be considered for the role. I have cheered on Bo since day one. I remember his first NHL draw vs the Aves.. He is a good guy no doubt. I simply didn't understand the context of the tweet which then in turn makes me look like a fool. I am usually more researched on my posts but this time I was distracted well being out of the house. I do however feel frustrated and irritated by the sheer mass of people who want Bo as the next captain.

I believe Pettersson, Boeser, or Hughes all could fill that role on this club. I think its a touch soon to be labelling Bo and I think it's unfair to the other core players. IMO Pettersson has the intensity, focus, and leadership that very few players have. He is hungry to be the best. You don't find players with high elite skill and that drive to be the best often. That belief and his ability to self actualize his play too me... makes me believe he will one day be a top 5 player one day in the league. Dare I say even higher. My post was off the cuff and I clearly had bias.

The love for Bo as Captain has really bothered me and I should have framed the post different. Targeting Bo was incorrect and I see that now. But.. I still do believe the media and us fans should take a chill pill and let things unfold as they are meant too. From every media piece ive heard over the years. I've listened to every single one of them... From the Sedins.. to Jim... to to Travis. None of them have felt Bo "is ready" and I get the impression my own interpretation that I don't think Bo is their first choice.

How Jim and Travis has described a captain to me it sounds more like 40 then 53. but that is just me. I should have changed the original post to something else after realizing I was wrong but I felt it was good to keep the convo going lol. I can careless about reputation. I am a straight shooter and I will always fire from the hip. I accept I misunderstood the context of the tweet! Same with his dads video i didn't realize it was a question lol. I put my own filter on it - but I personally don't feel his dad should of said anything on the subject. It bugs me he did. But he is only human so what can I expect? lol. I am a tad bit to idealisitic sometimes. 

• Like 2

I believe that the Locker room should determine who wears the "C" with endorsement from management. Yes, its not a democracy... but who do the majority of your team respect and look up to?? Plus its one more voice on the ice to talk to the refs.(don't get me going here on the quality or bias of NHL F...ing Reffing). Did we not get a glimpse of EP calling Bo "cap"?? that would clearly decide it for me.

22 hours ago, Rush17 said:

This is the like the fourth time he's talked about the captaincy in the last two years. First his dad came out saying he would be a great captain in Vancouver and here is another comment from Bo himself.

Personally I find this distasteful and extremely gross. If you are meant to be captain you shouldn't have to publically lobby for it. It is an honour given and him even expecting his name in the conversation bugs me. 

What was he supposed to say, when asked?

At least he has the balls to not swerve the question.... exactly what you'd want from your captain, belief in his ability to lead.

Whether Bo will become Captain or nor remains to be seem, but I would be very disappointed if he didn't answer like that.

Just as I would be disappointed if Edler or Pettersson would be vague or swerve the question.

Leaders is what need, players who want to be the go to guys.... Not players hiding be it from tough issues or tough questions.

Good on Bo.

• Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Toews said:

True but we also have to recognize that we aren't part of that team and we don't observe those guys on a daily basis which is what Benning's job entails. It could be Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, imo we aren't qualified to judge. Therefore having strong opinions and being adamant that it must be Bo seems to be a little disrespectful of the other players who could have a legitimate claim as well. I don't agree with anointing leaders. I believe it must happen organically and you shouldn't force it to go a certain way.

Maybe the other players already see him as being the next captain?

Could it be that within the quad he is already seen as the Captain of the team?

Believe both Brock and Elias has being referring to him as captain?

If the players are happy for Bo to be their leader, maybe so should we?

Edited by spook007

43 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I do not feel embarrassed. I stand by my belief that it is to early to name a captain with so many young core players just entering into the league. 

I was frustrated yes. The hype around Bo being the chosen one is infuriating. I believe if you have a special player with the right mindset they should be considered for the role. I have cheered on Bo since day one. I remember his first NHL draw vs the Aves.. He is a good guy no doubt. I simply didn't understand the context of the tweet which then in turn makes me look like a fool. I am usually more researched on my posts but this time I was distracted well being out of the house. I do however feel frustrated and irritated by the sheer mass of people who want Bo as the next captain.

I believe Pettersson, Boeser, or Hughes all could fill that role on this club. I think its a touch soon to be labelling Bo and I think it's unfair to the other core players. IMO Pettersson has the intensity, focus, and leadership that very few players have. He is hungry to be the best. You don't find players with high elite skill and that drive to be the best often. That belief and his ability to self actualize his play too me... makes me believe he will one day be a top 5 player one day in the league. Dare I say even higher. My post was off the cuff and I clearly had bias.

The love for Bo as Captain has really bothered me and I should have framed the post different. Targeting Bo was incorrect and I see that now. But.. I still do believe the media and us fans should take a chill pill and let things unfold as they are meant too. From every media piece ive heard over the years. I've listened to every single one of them... From the Sedins.. to Jim... to to Travis. None of them have felt Bo "is ready" and I get the impression my own interpretation that I don't think Bo is their first choice.

How Jim and Travis has described a captain to me it sounds more like 40 then 53. but that is just me. I should have changed the original post to something else after realizing I was wrong but I felt it was good to keep the convo going lol. I can careless about reputation. I am a straight shooter and I will always fire from the hip. I accept I misunderstood the context of the tweet! Same with his dads video i didn't realize it was a question lol. I put my own filter on it - but I personally don't feel his dad should of said anything on the subject. It bugs me he did. But he is only human so what can I expect? lol. I am a tad bit to idealisitic sometimes. 

You've distinctly said that you don't want Bo to be captain. If you feel there are other candidates, then that is fine. There is certainly that argument to be made, but it seems you've decided that Bo should not be captain and that's what is triggering people.

Perhaps Bo won't be the next captain, but people are allowed to have an opinion. I'll support whatever decision they make because surely the team decided and didn't listen to the media and fans for their decision.

The dad commented because he was asked. Should he have said no comment instead? He's proud of his son and his son has been a leader throughout juniors and he's shown a lot of attributes that a good leader would show, so of course he will believe his son would be a great captain. Bo has said it would be an honour to wear any letter and he will continue to be the best player he can be with a letter or not.

If you can admit that you've misread or misunderstood some items, then perhaps you've mistook the comments from the Sedins, Jim and Travis in regards to the situation. The Sedins went through a few captains before Henrik was named captain. Travis has gone through hardships before making the career he had. Benning understands patience will reap greater rewards. They all understand that it takes time and better to let things marinate a bit longer. We have seen teams thrown in a young guy and the teams aren't much better for it. If Bo isn't ready, then what makes someone like EP further ahead? How did Jim and Travis describe a captain? Just curious because I want to know they described a captain that isn't like Bo, but rather EP instead.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Very well said Rush I think people get caught up and emotional about certain players without looking at the big picture and look at the team as a whole. Who knows maybe Bo is the right man for the job and that will be great. However, I don't want to see a broken record and witness another generation of "gentlemanly" hockey for the next 10 years or so. If Bo can bring Linden type leadership then I will support him 100%. 

I have been an adamant supporter of Bo until I seen the relentless drive and competitiveness of a rookie in Petey. With his size and lack of NHL experience, he was able to compete at a very high level and fight through a lot of adversity and finishing checks at every opportunity. Bo, at times, exhibits the non-chalantness of his predecessor and lacks  intensity day in and day out. Maybe he ramps this up in the playoffs but we don't know that because we are not there yet. So , for this reason, I support your idea that we are being a little premature in choosing a Captain at this time.

I think this year we will see the leadership skills from our young guys and we may even see what they can do in the playoffs. I don't see what the big hurry is and would like to see at least another season to see where the team is at.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Be neutral about it. You can say it would be an honour but don't act like you want it. A leader shouldn't want to be a leader. A leader should just be a leader imo. 

He's a good guy no doubt. I think his fathers comments have skewed me the most on the matter lol. 

Here is his dads comment:

Sounds like it may have been phrased as a question. Something I may have missed at the time.

Rush I fail to see, what his dad has said in that interview, that can be seen as him promoting Bo ahead of anyone else?

He does not say anything, that I, if I had as talented a kid as Bo, wouldn't have said as well. 

As Canucks fan we should be over the moon that his heart beat so strongly for the City and the club.

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Strange thread.

I’d have a problem too if (and this is a big “if”) Horvat was out there openly campaigning for the captaincy in the media and continually telling people he’s the best man for the job and that it’s time and he really deserves it.

But he’s not doing that. Not even close.

Bo will answer the question when asked, but he’s never the one bringing it up. And when asked, he’s actually quite measured in his responses, and pretty careful not to say anything controversial. I don’t know what else we can expect of the young man. And quite honestly, I feel like Horvat has handled questions from media regarding team leadership and the captaincy like, well... pretty much how you’d want the team’s captain to answer these kinds of questions.

The boys all call him “Cap” already. He’s been part of the leadership group pretty much since he arrived in Vancouver his rookie year. The Sedins have suggested several times he’s the heir apparent. He’s been the transitional leader for this team, and, having been around for a while now (5 seasons—my, how time flies) has really become a link between the old guard and the new kids. He’s been serving as the de facto “captain” for a while now. Everyone knows it. Everyone feels it. And it would seem, everyone, in the room anyway (which is what’s really important), respects and appreciates Horvat’s leadership and sees him as their captain.

So really, when Horvat gets asked about the captaincy, how is this a “gross” response:

“I'd be ready to make that next step. It wouldn't change who I am and it wouldn't change the type of player I want to be ... I'd just try to be the best leader I can be."

For me, he’s saying exactly what he should. He’s ready. Of course he’s ready. He’s already basically been doing the job for this team. He wouldn’t change the type of player he wants to be. The “wants to be” part is crucial here. Bo isn’t saying he doesn’t need to change and improve. He’s saying that his goals, as far as the player he wants to be, aren’t really affected by the captaincy. He wants to be the best player he can be. That includes being a player who deserves to wear the “C,” but he will challenge himself be that kind of player (and leader) regardless of whether or not he’s ever actually named captain. He’s going to just try to the the best leader he can be. Simple as that. Horvat will do the best he can for this team. If he’s ever officially asked to wear the “C,” he’s ready and will take on that mantle. But whatever happens, he’s going to strive to be the best player he can for his team, and the best leader he can be, on and off the ice.

Total class from Horvat IMO.

Nothing “gross” here.

Pretty much bang on the dollar....

Well put SID.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

If they DON'T name Bo captain now, after all of this lead up,  the whole organization will look like fools.  It now goes beyond if Bo would be the perfect captain.  The momentum that has been building for him named captain for years now.....allowed to be built by the Canucks, with a lot of help by the local sports media....if it all came crashing down, they'd have a public relations nightmare.  It would also be a kick in the nuts for Bo, who I think is strong enough to shrug it off, but an amateur looking move by management.  Especially if they just threw it to some unproven new acquisition like Myers or Miller, or a rookie no matter how much promise.

I do have reservations about Bo as captain.  He checks a lot of boxes, but IMO he shies away from physically engaging when things get heated. In that way, he's not that much different than a Henrik or a Nazzy. The difference is that he was brought up in Canada, and playing North American hockey, and so I have faith he would know when to push himself to be more aggressive and physical when he has to...like in the playoffs. Something Henrik and Nazzy never got. Never had that instilled in them at an early age.

I think we'd see another more physical side to Bo if he was made captain. He is smart enough to understand that part of the responsibility as a captain of an NHL team would be to stand up even more for his team mates in any situation. I'm confident that, say, in the playoffs, he'd stand out even more than he does now. Once that mantel of a C is given to him to hold, he'd step it up even more. I think he's holding back a bit now just because of how well he was raised, how good a character he has, doesn't want to presume any authority before it is handed to him as deserving. I now think he'd grow into it and we'd see another level of Bo as captain. 

Just Do It already.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, shiznak said:

Why does the most skilled player needs to be the captain?

Avalanche  - Landeskog

Bruins - Chara

Blackhawks - Toews

Flames - Giordano

Wild - Koivu

Devils - Greene

Blues - Pietrangelo

Jets - Wheeler

Kings - Brown

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Fair enough, but I would put money on it that if you asked #40 who should be captain, he would 100% say Bo Horvat. I agree with you that Petey could be a good leader, in a sense, but what he doesn't have that Bo does is an assertive-type, confident, outspoken behaviour that can speak up in a dressing room with his peers and hold them accountable. Petey is waaaaay too green to say that he is or can be this type. He freezes often in interviews, for example. Maybe one day he will display that, and maybe one day Bo will groom him as our next captain, but Bo clearly checks all the boxes that make the best NHL captains out there. 

You're simply not giving Bo enough credit with who he is as a person and player. Sure, guys like Henrik and Nazzy were good leaders, in their own quiet right, but they were always missing the Linden-esque qualities of wear-your-heart-on-your-sleeve and battle hard (physically) every shift, especially when it mattered most. This is not to take away from the aforementioned captains, but guys like Linden, Toews, and Bo are next-level captains that teams die to have lead their players. I would bet that having the type of captain that Bo will be will also garner the Canucks more respect around the league moving forward. 

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Since probably the 80's each Canuck captain has rubbed shoulders with the preceding captain.  Linden played alongside Smyl, Naslund under Linden's tutelage, Henrik learning from both Trevor and Markus, and now Bo who spent years under Henrik's wing.

Lets continue the long lineage of our great captains influencing the next.  Its only fitting for Henrik to pass it to Bo.

I think you forgot messier in you lineage lol