The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo comments on captaincy again..

Rate this topic

Rush17

My original post is more about my frustration with the Bo is our captain movement. I wish he would be a better leader and be more neutral on the matter. Bo is a good leader no question. But I don't think rushing the decision is wise.

• Wat 9
  • Upvote 1

I believe this is an important conversation to have. I am okay with me looking like a fool is how we have this conversation. I don't have care my public image lol. 

My point is.. I don't think we as a fanbase should be saying Bo should or is our next captain. Let's let coach and team decide what is best. 

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I believe this is an important conversation to have. I am okay with me looking like a fool is how we have this conversation. I don't have care my public image lol. 

My point is.. I don't think we as a fanbase should be saying Bo should or is our next captain. Let's let coach and team decide what is best. 

Who cares what YOU believe, if you believe crap like this is "important"?

Who cares what YOU think "we as a fan base should be saying"?

This is a crap thread compounded by your crap responses.

Quit starting new threads; give us all a break.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

To be honest Phillip Bo has been one of my favorite players. It isn't an axe to grind with Horvat. It's rather that I feel its unfair for us all to label him as the air apparent. I have made this claim for 2 years now.. I don't think saying Bo should be the captain is the right idea when we have so many talented young players still joining the team.

Do you honestly think that fans discussing Horvat's suitableness for captaincy has any effect or sway with Aqulini, Benning, and Green? I don't.

The next core is just arriving in the NHL.. I think it a touch early to start naming the oldest core player as the next captain. Bo was an icon and a symbol of hope for our franchise. He represented the youth movement that is now emerging. He has been our knight in shining armor. But I don't believe he should just be given the C because he's been there for us in hard times. He has provided a lot of hope and optimism for our fanbase.. trust me we have needed it. But I want this decision to be based on what is best for the long term success of this franchise. I want a dynasty with this group.. I don't think naming your 2nd line C the captain for the reasons above is a good idea. If the team deems him the best choice I will 100% support him! I just don't like the undying loyalty to Bo. Lets see how the other kids do and see who becomes the teams true leader.

Bo's performance on the ice and in front of the media makes him an ideal candidate, in my opinion. If he is given the C, it'll be because of those aspects of his overall body of work, and not because of where he fits in chronologically. In my humble opinion, a team captain represents the team on a whole and isn't always the team's best player. Is Shea Weber the best player on the Canadiens?

Bo's been the transitional leader from the older core to the newer one, and has never let up or lost focus. When Desjardins spoke about him as being a fourth line grinder, he took that on and persevered, never complaining to the press.

There will be a team captain this fall, by all accounts, and the probability of Bo being the captain is pretty high. I don't see that being a detraction or distraction to the team at all.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Personally this no Captain crap by Vancouver Management last year has been more of a joke and just has created more drama regarding it then good imo. How do you blame a player who by the looks of it last year was basically groomed by Vancouver to show he will be the next Captain, but Vancouver still didn't give it to him, then when asked about it what's he supposed to say, no I don't want it stop asking me about it..... Then what you attack him for saying no he doesn't want it... Can't believe the OP actually attacked BO regarding this matter when it's Management who has made the problem in the first place, but hey let's blame the player instead :picard:

• Upvote 2

Nothing wrong with the guy stepping up and saying he wants to lead the team.  I'm actually happy he did so.  Just the media doing what they do best and trying to create controversy when it isn't there.  OP fell for the bait hook, line, and sinker.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

Be neutral about it. You can say it would be an honour but don't act like you want it. A leader shouldn't want to be a leader. A leader should just be a leader imo.

How is he not being neutral about it??

"I'd be ready to make that next step."  - neutral version = I'm not sure if I'd be ready to be captain? 

"It wouldn't change who I am and it wouldn't change the type of player I want to be ... I'd just try to be the best leader I can be." - can't even think of a more neutral version of that quote..

You are really reaching here man.... :mellow:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

It's rather that I feel its unfair for us all to label him as the air apparent. I have made this claim for 2 years now.. I don't think saying Bo should be the captain is the right idea when we have so many talented young players still joining the team. The next core is just arriving in the NHL..

I actually agree with you on this, and it has nothing to do with how I feel about Bo being captain or him as a leader.

He was being hailed as the next captain from the first season when he was the only young player representing the future. He was here nearly three full seasons before the real youth movement started to arrive. Labeling him the heir apparent so early really left no room for another potential captain to emerge. That is unfair to the overall process of allowing the captain to emerge organically and give other players/leaders a fair shake.

I think Bo would make a great captain. I also think Pettersson would make a great captain. Who knows, Hughes could be also be C material along with others who aren't here yet. I get what you're saying. And that's not to say Horvat shouldn't be C. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

My original post is more about my frustration with the Bo is our captain movement. I wish he would be a better leader and be more neutral on the matter. Bo is a good leader no question. But I don't think rushing the decision is wise.

I was originally on the "Bo is our Captain" movement for awhile to and I have realized that it is a position that dictates what the team culture is going to be like and I don't think It should be taken lightly. It has been thrown around so quickly around here that our goalie was given it for a spell. Really?

I really think the playoffs will  bring out the true "Leaders" and this is where we should be seeing who should don the "C". 

We are not considered "contenders" yet so I don't see what the big rush is. No pun intended. ::D

Let it happen naturally and let see what the final product is looking like before we make any hasty decisions.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I was originally on the "Bo is our Captain" movement for awhile to and I have realized that it is a position that dictates what the team culture is going to be like and I don't think It should be taken lightly. It has been thrown around so quickly around here that our goalie was given it for a spell. Really?

I really think the playoffs will  bring out the true "Leaders" and this is where we should be seeing who should don the "C". 

We are not considered "contenders" yet so I don't see what the big rush is. No pun intended. ::D

Let it happen naturally and let see what the final product is looking like before we make any hasty decisions.

Bo has been on the team for 6 years and we had no captain last season, how would naming him captain this year be a “hasty decision?” 

• Cheers 2