The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser & Fantenberg are both in concussion protocol,

Rate this topic

alt kilgore

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

If they have instruction from the coach not to retaliate I these occasions then they are sealing there fate by going after him.

LOL...  really???  You think Green would have said to the guys specifically "yo Mac & Schall!! I don't want you to anything nasty to Tierney! Just not cool!!"

Another question I battle with and that I’ve been worried about with Brock is his ability to stay healthy. I get my thoughts  will be controversial, but here I go,  although it’s a borderline questionable hit....Is Brock just an injury prone player at some point you can’t deny some players just seem to get hurt more then others.

Wether it’s their style of play or maybe lack of awareness??? there is a theory that players have something intangible and it’s called hockey sense. Hockey sense is often used in regards to play making or ability to see the play but to me  in some cases it’s awareness of keeping yourself from getting injured and in my opinion should include the ability of not putting yourself into compromising body positioning to the boards and taking contact when your not in good body position. Connor McDavid is classic example of my comment or point. Connor is an elite playmaker and off the charts ability to beat most players in the league with offensive hockey sense but seems to lack common sense when it comes to allowing his play to put him at serious injury risk because he puts his body first over backing off. Theres a fine line of being great and winning battles because it was an even battle to begin with vrs a battle you are most likely losing because your too late to the play. To prove my point,  if Connor beats the D man at 100 miles an hour because it’s a clear beat great for him but  if he gets clipped on a play he was hoping to win at that speed with out protecting himself near the end  boards he’s no doubt getting hurt flying into the boards at his speed and it’s happened twice now. I’m all for players to compete and win battles but you have to recognize you can’t win them all that’s hockey sense maturity and unless it’s the Stanley cup you have to play 82 games if your going to be successful in your career. 

My hope over all is that Brock learns how mature his game to play at top level while making sure he positions his body and  play to prevent putting himself at risk. The greats who last and go season over season injury free seem to have figured that out. 

Just saying. 

Edited by Bertorama
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Trebreh said:

the more i watch it and hear nothing from the league, the angrier i get. 

like who the f hits a star player from behind right in the numbers in a preseason game?!

if Tierney is playing tomorrow, somebody has to get in his face and beat that ass. 

if MacEwen or Schaller wants to make an impression, going after Tierney tomorrow is a good way to get attention.

The thing is ... it is almost better if the Canucks run Tkachuk instead....  a super good  open ice hit or boarding on him....  That will send a message. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

The thing is ... it is almost better if the Canucks run Tkachuk instead....  a super good  open ice hit or boarding on him....  That will send a message. 

Disagree... The Canucks don't need to resort to being goons and double the chances our stars will be run.

Go after the dipsh*t who committed the action, don't go after someone who has nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 1

Green is only in year 3 of pro experience. This is the greasy area of hockey he should get advisement on from Smyl.

Responding in the right way will build team chemistry.

There's an elephant in the locker room otherwise. 

I miss Dorsett, he knew when and how to answer.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Disagree... The Canucks don't need to resort to being goons and double the chances our stars will be run.

Go after the dipsh*t who committed the action, don't go after someone who has nothing to do with it.

No one ran ottawas stars when Boeser got hit

• Upvote 1

Coach Ghandi returns for another season of peace and love 

2 points in a meaningless exhibition game are far more important than sending a message to the rest of the league 

once Green is fired (probably during the season or shortly thereafter) I hope he looks back at his peace and love approach to hockey 

open season as always on the Canuck star players 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Green is only in year 2 of pro experience. This is the greasy area of hockey he should get advisement on from Smyl.

Responding in the right way will build team chemistry.

There's an elephant in the locker room otherwise. 

I miss Dorsett, he knew when and how to answer.

He coached in the AHL and then the WHL before that, plus years of NHL experience as a player, during the enforcer era.  I'm sure he appreciated someone standing up for him once or twice.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Viper007 said:

If Brock wasn't hurt would you be caring about it?? I don't think you would be.  Was it a dirty play?  Yes.  But it happens.  Until the DoPS starts suspending more harshly for these incidents, these hits will continue to happen.  The referees should have called this a 5 min. penalty in my mind, and suspended the guy.  

Also people need to use common sense, is a girl walking in a dark alley in the middle of a night a smart thing to do? I would say no.  Doesn't matter what she's wearing.  She shouldn't be walking down the dark alley in the first place.  It's again all about common sense.  Don't put yourself in a situation where things can happen.

Seriously? You totally contradict yourself ... first blame the DOPS and then blame Boeser? 

You think no other NHL player or any other hockey player has never faced the boards? Put himself in a “situation” ??? 

Edited by canuck2288

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He coached in the AHL and then the WHL before that, plus years of NHL experience as a player, during the enforcer era.  I'm sure he appreciated someone standing up for him once or twice.

I dunno looks like he's trying to do the right thing too much. Over thinking this one. Rather than saying out loud what we're all thinking. He seems to clam up and says play on.

14 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Disagree.

A great hit on one of their young stars will send the right message.......    The code in hockey is strong.

One of your plugs runs  one of our stars.... we run one of your stars...   That is the best approach.    Running one of their plugs after he hits one of our stars still leaves them ahead....   Target a skill guy on their club for retribution. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Seriously? You totally contradict yourself ... first blame the DOPS and the blame Boeser? 

You think no other NHL player or any other hockey player has never faced the boards? Put himself in a “situation” ??? 

Actually players are taught to put their back to the opposition as they won't be hit...... 

The hit was classless .  Super dangerous. Should be a suspension.

Since the NHL doesn't protect our players.. We need to respond.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No problem.

Hey, do me a favor. I accidentally quoted my tweet instead of the Canucks tweet, and I used some...profanity. Do you mind editing that out of your post?  :P

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Sorry.  I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of it ?

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Oh well. Maybe a mod can edit it out xD

I got it. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Here's the thing.  

1 the nhl protocol on concussions is designed to protect the league from lawsuits.  It is not designed to protect players.

2 If coaches or management speak out they are subject to fines/censure. So they say things like it's unfortunate but it's a hockey play. 

3. The players know you can injure people and the repercussions are always less for the injurer than the injuree.  

This is the reality. Sad that this league protects itself and it's owners while exposing it's young stars. Sad. Sad.

This. 

39 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Here's the thing.  

1 the nhl protocol on concussions is designed to protect the league from lawsuits.  It is not designed to protect players.

2 If coaches or management speak out they are subject to fines/censure. So they say things like it's unfortunate but it's a hockey play. 

3. The players know you can injure people and the repercussions are always less for the injurer than the injuree.  

This is the reality. Sad that this league protects itself and it's owners while exposing it's young stars. Sad. Sad.

Probably the one thing I miss about Torts, along with obviously guys like Burke and Crow.  If the coach isn't willing to eat a fine to stand up for the players, what kind of message does that send?

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Actually players are taught to put their back to the opposition as they won't be hit...... 

The hit was classless .  Super dangerous. Should be a suspension.

Since the NHL doesn't protect our players.. We need to respond.  

Played my whole life and that is hockey 101 BUT does no good when it’s a cheap shot 

you wouldn’t expect that hit coming in an exhibition game 

• Upvote 1