The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Boeser & Fantenberg are both in concussion protocol,

Rate this topic

alt kilgore

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I miss Gino, Brashear, Walker, Butcher, Smyl, Snepsts, House, Fraser, Juice, Ciccone, Rypper, Cooke, Coxe, Sutter(not Brendan), Momesso, Hunter, T-Lind, Stern, Schmaltz, Dorsett, May, Tiger etc.  

Mostly I miss old school hockey where it wasn't a question if someone would step in and help an injured teammate.  Like I said in the other thread I am not looking blood but a response as minor as a face wash and we're not questioning if this team is still gutless.    

I miss the days when the Stars were NEVER touched, ever. Goons or enforcers were the police and even when they fought, it was goon on goon. This was rare though because that respect for each other was there. When the instigator penalty came in, guys like Naslund and Kariya realized the cheap shot era had begun. Head shots became the norm and concussions became a common injury. Not saying going back to fighting is the answer I just know this rule gave the little(nobody) guys the licence to injure the stars.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

You guys are overlooking a possible reason for the lack of retaliation.

Everyone knows that Chris Tierney is a trained cage fighter.

So maybe our boys just knew if it came down to chuckin the nucks that they'd be spittin chiclets!

Hide contents

;)

Lol... I can't tell if you're joking or serious?  Tierney doesn't have a single fight to his name in the NHL. 

so if it was regular season Tierney "would" drive the player into the boards? Or just bad choice of words...too many pucks to the head and not many brain cells left?

I say we just go after Chabot or whoever is Ottawa's top iced player tonight, EFF it's pre season...Maybe MacEwen can drop the gloves and destroy someone, wont be serving the suspension in the nhl anyway haha

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I miss Gino, Brashear, Walker, Butcher, Smyl, Snepsts, House, Fraser, Juice, Ciccone, Rypper, Cooke, Coxe, Sutter(not Brendan), Momesso, Hunter, T-Lind, Stern, Schmaltz, Dorsett, May, Tiger etc.  

Mostly I miss old school hockey where it wasn't a question if someone would step in and help an injured teammate.  Like I said in the other thread I am not looking blood but a response as minor as a face wash and we're not questioning if this team is still gutless.    

I don’t consider myself an “old school” hockey fan. Seeing that list of players, and remembering how they’d go through the wall for a teammate...has made me think maybe I am, lol. Gino would not have stood idly by and watched Boeser get nailed into the boards in a mean nothing game.

I like the fast paced, skilled game, but...I hope Boeser throws a Bure on Churla like elbow, next time he encounters Tierney, cuz apparently no one else will, and let’s face it, he’s no shrinking violet.

Man, Gino would have ripped his shirt off taken on that whole Sens lineup 

• Cheers 2

Anyone who thinks the rules are going to protect players...  is delusional.

the players on a team need to accept the instigator, push back, and count on their penalty kill.  This is the only recourse as the rules are a joke...  teams like Boston realized this a long time ago.  The Canucks still don’t.  There is no leadership on the team obviously.

the rules are just too lenient to be effective.  Give a perpetrator of a head shot 5 games without pay.  Then 10, 15, etc.   That will hit them in the pocket book.  And it will stop.   Donate their salary to a charity for the time they are put.

the nhl is hurting themselves by not fixing this - people want to see talent.  When there are so many concussions it hurts the game and their bottom line.  Of all teams.  

Or u subscribe to the gladiator approach.  That it isn’t talent alone we want to see but a spectacle - that a display of talent or fighting or hits or goals or speed is what we want.   And u may be right....

• Upvote 4

I've had 7 diagnosed concussions, knowing the symptoms now I'm sure a few more undiagnosed. 4 of my concussions I have no memory of the  preceding event, just becoming aware afterwards and having some killer symptoms. Would not wish them on anyone. Hope for as speedy recovery as possible  for both Boes and Fant and that T has several rough games against us this year. Wouldn't wish an injury on him though, maybe just the miraculous rescinding of the instigator rule:bigblush:

Edited by CrippledCanuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Horvat and Ferland are potentially both in your top line. That's not a good revenge. Go with a potential AHL player. 

If Bo is to become captain, he could set a stake in the ground with his teammates. I’m not suggesting he does this in every game, if Tierney iced for the game Horvat could have set the tone with the team. 

Re Ferland, he was brought in to play this role. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HarryCanuck said:

If Bo is to become captain, he could set a stake in the ground with his teammates. I’m not suggesting he does this in every game, if Tierney iced for the game Horvat could have set the tone with the team. 

Re Ferland, he was brought in to play this role. 

That's only one of the things Ferland was brought in for. Are you suggesting that we got him as a full-time enforcer? That's one expensive enforcer. And he should not be getting penciled in for a top 6 role. Furthermore, Ferland just came back from an illness, and he needs to get caught up in time for the start of the regular season. 

On 9/25/2019 at 5:18 PM, EdgarM said:

I miss the days when the Stars were NEVER touched, ever. Goons or enforcers were the police and even when they fought, it was goon on goon. This was rare though because that respect for each other was there. When the instigator penalty came in, guys like Naslund and Kariya realized the cheap shot era had begun. Head shots became the norm and concussions became a common injury. Not saying going back to fighting is the answer I just know this rule gave the little(nobody) guys the licence to injure the stars.

Stars have always been targets why would the GMs surround stars with the types of players they did if they were never touched by virtue of a sense of honor i guess? The farther back you go up until a certain point the more this was true. We are just now trending away from that, you now notice less brawlers in the league. 

Edited by Shirotashi

13 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

That's only one of the things Ferland was brought in for. Are you suggesting that we got him as a full-time enforcer? That's one expensive enforcer. And he should not be getting penciled in for a top 6 role. Furthermore, Ferland just came back from an illness, and he needs to get caught up in time for the start of the regular season. 

Not really.  The top enforcers we’re making 2 million plus  before  the salary cap came in - they were valued and for good reason.   Ferland isn’t an enforcer in the traditional sense - but is a deterrent and in a way a policeman in today’s game.   No way he’d have sat by idly and watched this play if he was iced - Tierney might have still made that hit if his comments are honest - but he would have paid for it nonetheless.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Not really.  The top enforcers we’re making 2 million plus  before  the salary cap came in - they were valued and for good reason.   Ferland isn’t an enforcer in the traditional sense - but is a deterrent and in a way a policeman in today’s game.   No way he’d have sat by idly and watched this play if he was iced - Tierney might have still made that hit if his comments are honest - but he would have paid for it nonetheless.  

"before the salary cap came in"