The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Injuries] Canucks Injuries 2019/20

Rate this topic

86Viking

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

I got to the point in martial arts after many concussions that I would get woozy even if lightly hit in sparring and wearing full head gear.

20 years later, and I can’t be in loud places, have to wear sunglasses all the time, and have almost no short term memory.  These things come home to roost when you get older.

If this is another concussion he really does need to stop.  He gets the rest of his contract in insurance and can be comfortable his entire life.

That really sucks. We know so much more now about concussions than we did 20 or 30 years ago, if he has another concussion, they really need to just shut him down for the season and get an opinion on whether he should ever play again. Its not worth it, he has a family and kids to think about, needs to see if he can find another job in hockey that doesn't involve physical play. Scouting or consulting or something.

Some players try and stay too long when their bodies are giving them REALLY clear warning signs.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I got to the point in martial arts after many concussions that I would get woozy even if lightly hit in sparring and wearing full head gear.

20 years later, and I can’t be in loud places, have to wear sunglasses all the time, and have almost no short term memory.  These things come home to roost when you get older.

If this is another concussion he really does need to stop.  He gets the rest of his contract in insurance and can be comfortable his entire life.

Everyone's different........I've had a dozen, easily, and I have no discernible after effects.

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

Everyone's different........I've had a dozen, easily, and I have no discernible after effects.

so you believe, but have you talked to your friends and family for their input?

I though I was fine after my last concussion, everyone else found me to be an argumentative, annoying, depressing jerk though.

1 minute ago, gurn said:

so you believe, but have you talked to your friends and family for their input?

I though I was fine after my last concussion, everyone else found me to be an argumentative, annoying, depressing jerk though.

I have no after effects of my long history of concussions.

Matt Dunigan has talked of his last concussion and how he finally realized it was past time to hang up his cleats.

Injured in a road game, was taken to the hospital for an overnight stay. Checked himself out part way through the night, taxi to the airport and book flight.

Take the flight home, taxi home everything just fine. pay for the cab, walk to the front door, gets keys out of pocket..... but can't figure out how to make the key open the door.

Found on doorstep by his wife 3 or 4 hours later.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, BlastPast said:

Iirc it seems that when a player gets put in concussion protocol it gets announced fairly quickly. That it hasn't been announced yet is encouraging. Hopefully just a tweak and ZM just up as a precaution .

Maybe Furley tweaked his lower back, or hurt his shoulder?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Exactly.  That's the weird part about concussions and why they are so hard to treat properly.  Some people are back to normal quickly, for others it takes years or perhaps the effects are permanent.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:47 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

This is probably true Alfie.  If Loui stays on the roster the entire year and a guy like Schaller gets waived then most likely there is an agreement for Loui to retire in the summer once his bonus is paid.  I can't see any other logical reason as to why they would keep Loui on the roster over any other player.

And when every Canuck fan knows what is happening it probably means Bettman knows as well. Time for another Lou rule to screw the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Matt Dunigan has talked of his last concussion and how he finally realized it was past time to hang up his cleats.

Injured in a road game, was taken to the hospital for an overnight stay. Checked himself out part way through the night, taxi to the airport and book flight.

Take the flight home, taxi home everything just fine. pay for the cab, walk to the front door, gets keys out of pocket..... but can't figure out how to make the key open the door.

Found on doorstep by his wife 3 or 4 hours later.

Great story. Dunnigan is one of my favs and happy to see he could carry on with an active life. Hope its a minor injury for our big guy and not a concussion. Was so excited for this signing. When he's in the lineup we are a better team.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If it's a concussion, I agree. They might have to consider shutting him down, I'm sure they'll look at all their options.

This really sucks though, I was excited to have him as a Canuck but he can't catch a break. He could be a good piece for us.

He was signed after the free agent frenzy at below market value. Clearly all GMs felt there was risk. Jim made a gamble and lost. Too bad for us, and more  unfortunate for Micheal Ferland.

I think if you asked Jim in confidence, he'd say he knew this might happen.

Not a lot different than the Kassian to Montreal trade, Bergavin knew what he might get and knew that he might not.

What Kassian and Ferland can bring the same, but why they may not bring it is different.

19 minutes ago, lmm said:

He was signed after the free agent frenzy at below market value. Clearly all GMs felt there was risk. Jim made a gamble and lost. Too bad for us, and more  unfortunate for Micheal Ferland.

I think if you asked Jim in confidence, he'd say he knew this might happen.

Not a lot different than the Kassian to Montreal trade, Bergavin knew what he might get and knew that he might not.

What Kassian and Ferland can bring the same, but why they may not bring it is different.

Signing guys who've had concussions is always a risk, with hockey being a contact sport there's always the chance more concussions happen. His tenure hasn't gone the way we'd like but that's just how it goes sometimes. We've got the same concerns with Baer and he's still playing. 

I don't think you'd need to ask him in confidence, the risk of players who've gotten concussions playing contact sports potentially having it happen again playing contact sports is a pretty basic thing to understand. All you one can do is hope for the best.

Hopefully this isn't a concussion, but if it is I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull a Baer. 

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Signing guys who've had concussions is always a risk, with hockey being a contact sport there's always the chance more concussions happen. His tenure hasn't gone the way we'd like but that's just how it goes sometimes. We've got the same concerns with Baer and he's still playing. 

I don't think you'd need to ask him in confidence, the risk of players who've gotten concussions playing contact sports potentially having it happen again playing contact sports is a pretty basic thing to understand. All you one can do is hope for the best.

Hopefully this isn't a concussion, but if it is I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull a Baer. 

sure, but what do you mean "pull aBaer"?