The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

My hype has come back to earth.

Just want good team play. No magic hattricks necessary, no magic end to end rushes mandatory, just clear the zone and make the most of the chances that are given. 

Our team is still relatively young. 

Clean passing, keep the puck ahead of you.

And dammit someone get to the front of the net and keep your stick on the ice.

Edited by Hairy Kneel

3 hours ago, clutesi said:

All things considered, Hughes looked great and he's going to be a beauty. He's not just a great skater, he handles the puck with no fear and makes smart plays. This kid is a first line D man. 

some posters here are pretty blind. Anyone that says Hughes is a bad defender needs their head examined. He is our best skater and one of the shiftiest along with Petersson. Have Hughes and Petersson out at the same time and they will circle players around them. The canucks need those type of defensemen, since lack of scoring from blueline was their big weakness last year. Hughes was great in his first game of the season and I hope they use him on the 1st PP

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I blame the 19 hour pregame celebration where everyone in Edmonton and their cousin was introduced.  With the seizure inducing music accompaniment.

They were in shock, plain and simple.

I wonder if their pregame discussions/pep talks try to keep them calm, level headed and sticking to a program and they go out there "prepared" but not fired up?  Just a thought.  They need to ditch the hokey pokey Sutter/Hutty country music, turn up some rage and punch the wall on the way out.  Something like that.

It was far more painful to watch live Deb - even some Oiler fans thought it was a little overdone

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Really, a couple of controllable bounces? Controllable, not bad bounces. Marky leaving a big rebound for Kass to quick tip over to Draisaitl for goal one.  A sloppy pass by Sutter ended up being the winning goal by McDavid. It could be argued Smith interfered with Pearson, leaving one player late & a lane open for Kassian to get a transition goal. That was a bad bounce, but the other two goals?

Gave Edmonton the game to steal.

But the real reason we lost the game?

It could be argued we were a little chaotic. Not in perfect sync. I don't blame that, its just game one. 

It was our PP. Edler scored as one PP had just elapsed. Boeser 4:04, Miller 4:40, Petey 4:32. Its tooooo much PP time without sustained pressure by our top unit.  The 2knd PP looked more dangerous. Attacked pucks to win & keep possession.  Not that same desperation in the 1st unit. 

Our PP needed to win us that game! 

The lack of possession on the pp was deflating for sure. It was disjointed and totally unorganized, zone entries were awful, too much rushing around trying to force the play instead of proper possession / cycling.

On the bounces. Even the best goalies cough up juicy rebounds sometimes,it happens, but ideally your players stay with their checks. That didn't happen on the Drais goal. Bo lost his man, $&!# happens.

Smith played a stellar game, unfortunately for the coilers there's no way he'll be able to sustain that level of play when facing 40 shots every single night. 

• Like 1

Losing sucks, especially having blown the lead. 

Quinn played well. 

Tough to blame Marky on the goals but his s% doesn't look good. He'll rebound next game. 

Edler going for Norris. Buckle up! 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, luckylager said:

His clapper has some heat. No comment on the wrist shot though

yeah I just recall some of the scouting being a Stecher type marshmallow of a shot. Hate to see an injury but good to know he's got some jam on it. 

It wouldn't' surprise me if this team goes like 4-7 or something like that to start the year, so many new moving parts and more skill thats going to need time to gel. Thankfully the Paciifc looks to be a sad sack division again so i don't think thats going to harm their playoff chances. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah I just recall some of the scouting being a Stecher type marshmallow of a shot. Hate to see an injury but good to know he's got some jam on it. 

It wouldn't' surprise me if this team goes like 4-7 or something like that to start the year, so many new moving parts and more skill thats going to need time to gel. Thankfully the Paciifc looks to be a sad sack division again so i don't think thats going to harm their playoff chances. 

Oh man, team tank would be back in full force if we start 4-7. The I told you so's would be out in full force ready to lynch JB and trading everybody would be on the table.

Not sure I could handle it seeing as I'd only want to fire the entire coaching staff.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

hate to break it to you Phil, but evrything we do here is redundant.

We as a group are a bunch of fans with nothing better to do than disect yesterdays game and prognosticate about the next one.

the world wouldn't stop spinning if we all died off.

Too true, lmm. 

Just now, luckylager said:

Oh man, team tank would be back in full force if we start 4-7. The I told you so's would be out in full force ready to lynch JB and trading everybody would be on the table.

Not sure I could handle it seeing as I'd only want to fire the entire coaching staff.

yeah but we'd go on a  10-0 run after that :P 

just think they boys are going to need a few games to get their timing down. 

I really loved the Horvat line tho. Maybe thats enough to pull out some extra wins in there somewhere too. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Bo's line was dangerous. It's going to be really fun watching them give teams full on meltdowns.

They're gonna draw a lot of penalties. Better fire Brown ASAP and bring in someone to run the PP

maybe they can just forget "Drop Pass" Brown in security area of the Calgary airport. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3