The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Yeah what the hell was that.  From the assistant boot licker to McDavid all the way up.

They introduced about 50 people.  From the guys in the Oiler's jackets through the cheap suits all the way up to the players.  

Can I just say accept in very rare circumstances they should not show the pre-game ceremonies on Tv at all and should do the anthems earlier as well.  7:00 game should have puck drop at 7:05.  Anything that needs to go before they should start earlier.

butbut but what about all those freat 50 year ceremonies to come this year?

pvr is your friend

4 hours ago, MikeyD said:

You could make that argument with literally anything. I find it hilarious that you think Drew Doughty is an elite defender, when he's been undressed by Goldobin twice in the past few years that led to goals. He's hardly any better than Burns is defensively. Both have great games defensively and both have weak games defensively. Keith in my opinion isn't as talented offensively as either of those two even though he is a great offensive talent. I don't think he controls the play the way Doughty and Burns do offensively, but defensively he does. 

I don't think anybody is expecting Quinn to be a #1 dman. A top 2 dman for sure that WILL drive the play offensively as once he's allowed will be a one man breakout machine, he already patrols the line as good as Doughty and Burns and honestly for his size and age, isn't as bad defensively as people say he is. He's got a great stick 95% of the time. The problem is he still hasn't put on any weight. Once he gains 20-30 pounds, he won't get thrown around like he did against Draisaitl. He's also learning the strength of the top end athletes and how they use leverage on smaller players too so that'll also help him. His one major deficiency though is he'll likely never be able to clear a crease which will severely hinder his defense. An active stick can definitely be good enough to make up for a lack of physicality.

With that said, shipping Quinn Hughes out sounds like one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. What exactly is he going to net you that fills a hole on this team? By sending him out, you take away the hole he fills that desperately needs help and that's control along the blue line, puck moving ability and the ability to skate the puck out from pressure. All three of those qualities in one defenseman are super rare. You can't analyze every team and think we're just like they are. A more comparable player to Hughes is moreso the potential to have a better version of an Ellis, or a Tyson Barrie. Still elite defensemen that any team should want to have and would be stupid to trade away unless you need desperate cap relief or an abundance of talent to replace them. You don't look at those players and go, "We should get rid of them because they won't pan out to their fullest potential" do you? 

He's a difference maker that's tough to replace, and the kid is playing his first full season in the NHL. That's incredible. 

The difference between those high end prospects that get pushed onto the team early panning out vs the prospects that get pushed out early that don't pan out is hockey IQ. Hughes has that in spades. Yakupov didn't have that, Virtanen doesn't have that, Puljujarvi doesn't have that. They all have amazing high end skill, but they don't know how to apply it to the NHL. That's why Pettersson does well, why McDavid does well, why Matthews does well. They have elite level skill (as does Quinn), but they also know how to use it. 

I just don't understand how you'd net a return bigger than the one you lost if you ship Hughes out. He's exactly what this team needs. Last game was literally the first game in a few seasons where offense from defense was prominent and look at some of the control this team had. We haven't seen control like that since the Sedins (in regular time anyways). 

... And the kid still put up a point last night...just sayin .

Cheers

• Upvote 1

I know it is the first game of the year, but I am concerned.

2 weeks ago I was extremely optimistic about the season. When Beartschi and Goldobin got sent down my optimism turned sour and warped itself into anxiety.

Like another poster said - two scoring lines and two checking lines is outdated. Deploy the best offensive team you can IMO. Or atleast guys with some jump. The league is all about speed and creativity. That's the way it has been leaning for 15 years.

I hope I am wrong, but I'm nervous that we have a terrible start to the year and miss the playoffs by a hair due to poor coaching decisions.

This is coming from someone who has put full faith behind Green & our coaching staff.

11 minutes ago, Maginator said:

2 weeks ago I was extremely optimistic about the season. When Beartschi and Goldobin got sent down my optimism turned sour and warped itself into anxiety.

Like another poster said - two scoring lines and two checking lines is outdated. Deploy the best offensive team you can IMO. Or atleast guys with some jump. The league is all about speed and creativity. That's the way it has been leaning for 15 years.

I hope I am wrong, but I'm nervous that we have a terrible start to the year and miss the playoffs by a hair due to poor coaching decisions.

This is coming from someone who has put full faith behind Green & our coaching staff.

Not sure the anxiety is warranted yet. Yes, every point matters and has an impact on the potential post season, but don't get too bent yet.

Funny thing is, I don't have full faith in our coach staff at all. I havent been shy to criticize Baumer and Brown for the last couple of seasons and now Green's reluctance to make a change there has me souring on him a bit, especially after he waived Baer over a fair share of plugs that offer absolutely nothing in the O zone.

So yes and no.

We've got four games in the first two weeks to see if this stupid balancing act will make me lose my $&!#, or prove me wrong, but I'm of the opinion you're always best to ice the best players available and that isn't happening yet.

Kinda feel like I called telus and am on hold. It's gonna take forever, but something is going to happen

Eventually

Maybe

Edited by luckylager
  • Upvote 3

The bottom 6 could be a problem.  Most teams have a 3rd line that can score - we are using it to place unreadable players no team would want.... (for their salary).  

To really succeed there must be a meritocracy.   We will see how the season unfolds...  but the first game isn’t looking good for that 3rd line.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Maginator said:

Me too. I don’t know if there is enough offensive skill on the team now. Atleast one of them should have stayed up imo. I think we’ll see Baer soon though with our injury luck.

I also think Boeser should play with Horvat. Brock’s too slow on the forecheck half the time and they don’t have the puck enough. Pettersson also tries to set Boeser up too much sometimes. Boeser plays his best with Horvat imo.

If they still aren’t clicking after a few games would be nice to see

Ferland-Pettersson-Miller

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Petey’s better when he’s shooting more and makes more sense to have our 2 elite snipers on different lines imo.

• Upvote 2

Everyone needs to chill a bit.

Canucks faced a hot goalie and did not get much puck luck.  Thats hockey.  Canuck D  core will take some time to jell and mistakes will be made in the meantime.

Overall, canucks played well enough to win.   ON to the next game and hopefully the Canucks can string a few wins together soon before  our impatient fan base freaks out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Not sure the anxiety is warranted yet. Yes, every point matters and has an impact on the potential post season, but don't get too bent yet.

Funny thing is, I don't have full faith in our coach staff at all. I havent been shy to criticize Baumer and Brown for the last couple of seasons and now Green's reluctance to make a change there has me souring on him a bit, especially after he waived Baer over a fair share of plugs that offer absolutely nothing in the O zone.

So yes and no.

We've got four games in the first two weeks to see if this stupid balancing act will make me lose my $&!#, or prove me wrong, but I'm of the opinion you're always best to ice the best players available and that isn't happening yet.

Kinda feel like I called telus and am on hold. It's gonna take forever, but something is going to happen

Eventually

Maybe

You must be new to being a Canucks fan; Nuxiety 365 is documented malaise.  

This season is going to kick ass.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

You must be new to being a Canucks fan; Nuxiety 365 is documented malaise.  

This season is going to kick ass.

Is that why I feel short of breath and a bit nauseous all the time?

Damn son

(Yes, this season will kick ass as soon as Baumer and Brown are &^@#ing fired)

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

Jake could possibly work on this team if he wasn't on a line with two checkers. I don't think he'd drag a Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen line down.

You can put Virtanen on McDavid's wing and even McDavid won't be able to get Virtanen to score. Just look at WJC when Virtanen was placed on the line with McDavid, completely f**ked up that line and Virtanen was quickly removed from McDavid's line.

1 hour ago, Maginator said:

Yeah, not sure about Greener

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Canucks home opener is going to drag on even longer than Edm, so whoever was talking about that...That's what teams do to start the year, its like an all start presentation of the team to the fans to say hey...come spend your hard earned $ again, we promise to be better this year!

Think I will show up 20 minutes late and will be right on time

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

You can put Virtanen on McDavid's wing and even McDavid won't be able to get Virtanen to score. Just look at WJC when Virtanen was placed on the line with McDavid, completely f**ked up that line and Virtanen was quickly removed from McDavid's line.

Emphasis on when I said 'possibly'. Nothing is for sure with Virtanen. :(

Sometimes he looks so good, but it's not often.