The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Okay, Save the Laffs..PLEASE!

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

If you are owned by a pension fund does success matter as long as the dollars come in.

Ownership is no different to Melnyk or even the Glazers at Man U as long as the team generate revenue that’s the primary focus and having the media push the narrative each year suits them. 

Only difference between them and the sens is the media coverage and revenue they make from marketing and brand

I've never really bought these forms of argument. If dollars flow in despite being some inept, sad-sack, laughing-stock.. well then what kind of dollars would flow IF they were run properly, & had become a winner?

I've been thru these debates & discussions with posters(some hardcore Laff-backers included) over the yrs. Back in the Burke yrs(on another puck site), it all raged a'plenty.

It frustrates me. With their resources, all they'd need is the patience to leverage it(say acquiring young assets, alongside bad contracts). They should've done this almost 2 decades back.

No patience, & they always wind up flushing good money after bad...

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've never really bought these forms of argument. If dollars flow in despite being some inept, sad-sack, laughing-stock.. well then what kind of dollars would flow IF they were run properly, & had become a winner?

I've been thru these debates & discussions with posters(some hardcore Laff-backers included) over the yrs. Back in the Burke yrs(on another puck site), it all raged a'plenty.

It frustrates me. With their resources, all they'd need is the patience to leverage it(say acquiring young assets, alongside bad contracts). They should've done this almost 2 decades back.

No patience, & they always wind up flushing good money after bad...

The fact is the income isn’t a bottomless pit, if they fill the building, maximise the concessions and match day revenue, and are willing to spend up to the cap - if they also want to be a winning team, it will cost them more in the back office and what significant gains would be made from it?

People still will buy tops regardless. With  the media coverage they get sponsorships won’t really care to much about if they win or not as it’s the leafs. 

Because they are a big corporate machine, winning is a byproduct not the end goal

Edited by UKNuck96

4 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

The fact is the income isn’t a bottomless pit, if they fill the building, maximise the concessions and match day revenue, and are willing to spend up to the cap - if they also want to be a winning team, it will cost them more in the back office and what significant gains would be made from it? People still will buy tops regardless? Which the media coverage sponsorships won’t really care to much about if they win or not as it’s the leafs? 

because of big a corporate machine they are winning is a byproduct not the end goal

& thus what should be sporting fans, often wind up sounding like hybrid apologist-accountants for a major, shady corporation.

Your last couple posts might explain it (the phenomenon of their profitable-ineptitude); yet justification is nowhere to be seen. This franchise has denigrated & disrespected itself for 5 decades, dating back to the start of the dreaded Ballard-era.

As a Cdn hockey fan, who feels the nation deserves good, or at the very least, decent, teams to back, can only shake my head at their past 5 decades.

• 1 month later...

Schadenfreude at the plight of The Laffs runs high through the heat of the summer. Can't help glancing at their HFpage, as they come to realize their ballyhooed(soon to be) Utopia, was indeed drunken, media-painted myopia. Their fanbase appears to be splitting between desperate Dubie-loyalists, vs enraged, but addicted long-timers, who taste the poison in the koolaid.

A wk ago they started a poll-thread entitled, "What has been the Laffs Biggest Mistake?" The 3 or 4 most popular options are eerily reminiscent of what was laid out(2 yrs back!) on the first page of this here thread.

Like uhhh, Gosh..we TRIED to warn them, eh?

the winning option: Hiring a rookie President, who hires a rook GM, who then hires a rook-coach

How longggggg did the wh*ring media tout the ShanaSCAM as a genius initiative? Meanwhile, seemingly everyone out east has portrayed JB's scenario as impending doom. As our youth starts to blossom & form the basis of sustainable-ascent, I imagine that whole Hogtown empire will be tossed into the abyss. Shouldn't take much longer...

13 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

How longggggg did the wh*ring media tout the ShanaSCAM as a genius initiative? Meanwhile, seemingly everyone out east has portrayed JB's scenario as impending doom. As our youth starts to blossom & form the basis of sustainable-ascent, I imagine that whole Hogtown empire will be tossed into the abyss. Shouldn't take much longer...

I can’t stand the media’s constant negativity towards Benning, especially from Eastern media.

Every story has some little dig towards him and a clear anti Canucks bias. Meanwhile Dubas has bungled so much in his time there and gets continuous praise.

Yes Benning has made some poor decisions with contracts and the cap but at least those issues aren’t crippling the team. The Leafs with the way they’re structured have such little room to improve their roster and they keep trading away their picks. Basically they’re just gonna keep trying to do the same thing until their core ages out.

I like our future much more.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

So today I'm seeing on HFLaffs page, they hired a 'tender coach(D Imoo), but then did a 180 & reversed the decision? Apparently he stands accused of 'liking' controversial notions/movements, etc... on twiddler?

Speculation that the Laffs are a main brand carrying the mail for the lamestream, multimedia, Cdn conglomerates.. & their hirings must always be kosher & pc

Who knows? Does appear in this day & age, if you're employed in pro sport, it's prob wisest just to avoid all forms of social media.

To the Laffs...

image.thumb.png.e26a4fb4be5a57de6a9a9f7ee3dd75b4.png

(I only took a screenshot, in case the rest of the scene was inappropriate for some.  I remember liking this movie, but not sure how well it aged.  John Carpenter, so can it be all bad?  At least it had Alice Cooper in it.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Loser Leafs will struggle to get 5th in their division.  It’s going to be a glorious year watching their media and fans suffer.  

Florida

Tampa

Boston

Ottawa

Montreal

Loser Leafs

Detroit

Buffalo

Buffalo could finish higher than them if they get a decent return for Eichel.  Their D is miles better already.

The "Boy Wonder" was the stupidest move this billion $ entity has likely ever made. Do we blame ShanaScam? Who cares?..

Imagine in 2015 roles were switched: Babcock hired as GM(!) & Dumb_ss hired as coach(coach?who the hell is this guy?)

I bet today their fortunes would be significantly better. Simply because Babcock knows there are more diverse elements required in composition of a true team.

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The "Boy Wonder" was the stupidest move this billion $ entity has likely ever made. Do we blame ShanaScam? Who cares?..

Imagine in 2015 roles were switched: Babcock hired as GM(!) & Dumb_ss hired as coach(coach?who the hell is this guy?)

I bet today their fortunes would be significantly better. Simply because Babcock knows there are more diverse elements required in composition of a true team.

Dubas just not really ready. 

Screenshot_20210812_061646.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/13/2021 at 12:33 AM, UKNuck96 said:

If you are owned by a pension fund does success matter as long as the dollars come in.

Ownership is no different to Melnyk or even the Glazers at Man U as long as the team generate revenue that’s the primary focus and having the media push the narrative each year suits them. 

Only difference between them and the sens is the media coverage and revenue they make from marketing and brand

Might want to catch up on business news. Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund sold their 79.53% ownership of the team to BCE (Bell Canada's parent company) and Rogers for $1.32 Billion dollars back in 2012. The team is split between Bell and Rogers owning 75%, and Larry Tanenbaum's Kilmer Sports owning 25%. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Might want to catch up on business news. Ontario Teacher's Pension Fund sold their 79.53% ownership of the team to BCE (Bell Canada's parent company) and Rogers for $1.32 Billion dollars back in 2012. The team is split between Bell and Rogers owning 75%, and Larry Tanenbaum's Kilmer Sports owning 25%. 

Wasn’t aware - thanks 

• Cheers 2

18 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Or even if they had promoted Mark Hunter instead of an idiot who keeps getting beaten up for his lunch money by the players' kids.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

For anyone with a Bell or Rogers subscription, thank you for supporting your Toronto Maple Leafs::D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Just in case it wasn't clear enough why the media props the Laffs up so much.  :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1