The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Predators re-sign Austin Watson

12 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Glad it's not us taking that kind of chance.

Nashville said they were dealing with his off-ice issues as a family matter, and that you don't drop family but instead try and help them get better.

At 1.5M - he's the perfect 4th liner and one of their few physical players.  Laviolette says there's no one he trusts more than his line to protect the lead with 30 seconds to go.

He's productive too in that shutdown role.  16 pts in 37 games last season and had 14 goals the season before.  Also 19pts in 41 playoff games while intimidating opponents.  

Was drafted 18th overall to be a top-6 power forward but was putting too much pressure to score early in his career and looked on his way to never make it.  They even waived him before recalling him a few games later.

Laviolette explained that you can't play if your mindset is to not make mistakes.  You have to dare to influence the game positively and make something happen.  When he came back up it finally clicked.  He started not caring about production and just played a physical game while focusing on shutting down opponents. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville said they were dealing with his off-ice issues as a family matter, and that you don't drop family but instead try and help them get better.

And I'm glad we have a GM who values character.  If any family member of mine pulled the garbage Watson had, they'd be completely ostracized and on their own.  Zero respect for this pitiful excuse of a "man".

Good player on the ice but no room on this team for character issues.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And I'm glad we have a GM who values character.  If any family member of mine pulled the garbage Watson had, they'd be completely ostracized and on their own.  Zero respect for this pitiful excuse of a "man".

Good player on the ice but no room on this team for character issues.

The players and their wifes/girlfriends supported them.  His wife by the way said she started it.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

The players and their wifes/girlfriends supported them.  His wife by the way said she started it.

I don't care who started it;  you don't raise your hand to a woman.  I highly doubt our group of class acts would be quite as welcoming towards this dirtbag.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

26 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't care who started it;  you don't raise your hand to a woman.  I highly doubt our group of class acts would be quite as welcoming towards this dirtbag.

I’ve never hit a woman. But woman want to be equal to men and if a woman wants to fight I will take her down until she is calm. I don’t care. Woman have to be respectful just as men. They can not sit there and say well he’s a man if they want to be equal. I’m glad she came out and said she started it. That takes a lot to do.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Cheers 2

He made a mistake, they both made a mistake. I'm not interested in judging somebody I've never met by one of their worst mistakes.

Good on the Preds for supporting him and his family through this, not all teams would. It reflects well on the organization from the top down. 

• Cheers 1

"Austin is the ultimate team player and we look forward to continuing to see him thrive and be an impactful member of our team," Poile said. "The Predators organization continues to support Austin and his family and are pleased to take this next step forward with them. His hard work, coupled with a caring environment has him in a good place to be successful on and off the ice. Austin sticks up for his teammates and does whatever is necessary to help this team win hockey games."

"My family and I love Nashville and are excited to continue to be a part of this organization," Watson said. "I am grateful for the support provided to us by the Nashville Predators, my teammates and the entire city of Nashville, and am excited to continue to move forward with the franchise in our pursuit of the Stanley Cup."

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1