The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Nikolay Goldobin, assign Sven Baertschi to Comets

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

13 hours ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Credit to Goldy.  He didn't complain or sulk and just put his head down and went to work.  I'm rooting for the kid and hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

Ok I'll credit him for not bitching about being sent down but you guys are dreaming if you think he'll work out this time. He's soft, gritless and the type of player we have no space for , he a spitting image of Raymond, lots of skill with no finish. Its easy to see the type of team Benning is building now and Goldy doesn't fit in it. Maybe he has a stint this time of success and we get a chance to trade him, that would be the best result here.

12 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I can see Roussel slotting in for Schaller.  Motte and Schaller could be the extras if management goes ahead with demoting Eriksson.

The larger question marks in my mind are what happens if Goldobin sticks (like most of us want him to).  With everyone healthy, then there is basically no more room to just demote a player (unless the Canucks demote Gaudette given he is still exempt from waivers).

I can't see the Canucks trading Sutter.  Gaudette has been great but he's not a replacement for Sutter yet.  They have a different skill set but Sutter's face off ability and overall two-way play give coaching more confidence about sending him out in all situations.  I suppose the Canucks could play Beagle in more of that role if Sutter were to be traded, but having Sutter gives the Canucks way more depth at C.

If Sutter doesn't go and Goldobin sticks, then Gaudette has to bump someone off at wing since, I presume, the Canucks aren't just going to let him sit in the pressbox.  Leivo could be scratched but does he really deserve that?  Not sure.  He might not be producing a lot but he's been an excellent complimentary player for awhile now (if only for the way he wins puck battles).  Virtanen has not played poorly this year, but has the ship sailed for him with this management team?  Possibly.  The team always has the option of waiving Schaller or Motte and hoping they clear but they would presumably be extras most of the time on a fully healthy roster so, again, a regular will probably need to be moved.

In the short term, if Goldobin shows that he can stick it out in the NHL and as everyone start to get healthy, then I think management might just demote Gaudette to kick the can down the road.  I would like to think that they would demote Eriksson as well.  We're heading into Christmas so there might be a trade or two in the next couple weeks.  If anything happens, then I'll expect it to happen in the new year.

Of course, if Goldobin can't stick, then it makes management's life "easier".

If he manages to produce trade him, thats the best option. He's not the type of player we need, too soft

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well there you go, he did get opportunity with Bo, he just didn't do enough to stay. He was also getting bumped around a bit, wasn't doing too well with the physical stuff, taking hits. He was ineffective. Maybe he gets another chance on another team? I'm sure he can still play in this league, but the Canucks are a pretty decent team now and they've upgraded.   

If you think Sven wasn't physical enough just wait til Goldy is here, wrong type of player for our new team. Goldy is soft on the floor check and has no interest in mucking it up. People are saying put him with Petey? Are you kidding me, Petey needs guys who can go get the puck and finish when opportunities arise. From what we have seen from Goldy in the past that's not him at the NHL level

16 hours ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Credit to Goldy.  He didn't complain or sulk and just put his head down and went to work.  I'm rooting for the kid and hope he makes the most of his opportunity.

Confidence is key with him he’s a good player with an interesting skill set.

I do blame Green a little here he doesn’t seem like a very up lifting and patient.

But all in all this is on Goldy if he can stick.

5 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Confidence is key with him he’s a good player with an interesting skill set.

I do blame Green a little here he doesn’t seem like a very up lifting and patient.

But all in all this is on Goldy if he can stick.

Green has shown incredible patience with Virtanen and his development. Goldy was here for a solid 2 seasons to demonstrate growth and willingness to find another level to his game. I think Goldobin did both in his shirt time here, but players have been passing him at his growth rate and if you can't keep up, then you fall behind. This is another opportunity to prove to Green that he's willing to take it to another level, so it's all on Goldobin at this point.

As for being uplifting, Green shows a sense of humour with the media, so surely he's even more free behind closed doors. Green was called a players coach, so I can't see him being one of those tough guy coaches that rides their players. Green has an open communication policy with all his players to discuss issues. The fact that Goldy hasn't complained about being sent down likely means he's been communicated with and he understands the situation. Willie D in comparison has had several complaints in regards to communication, so Green must be much better as he's still coaching today.

Green isn't perfect, but he's not the reason why Goldobin hasn't become an NHL regular yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Goldobin is a playmaker. He might get 10-15 goals a year in the NHL. If Green utilizes Goldy’s skill set (ie playmaker) I could see him with 30-40 assists a year. I think having someone with his ability to make that tough pass to someone who can shoot, is just as good as the shooter. We saw him with Pettersson before, he looked good. I could see him being a good PP guy. If Goldy works hard getting back no reason he can’t stick with Bo.

Edited by #Canucks
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

Goldobin is a playmaker. He might get 10-15 goals a year in the NHL. If Green utilizes Goldy’s skill set (ie playmaker) I could see him with 30-40 assists a year. I think having someone with his ability to make that tough pass to someone who can shoot, is just as good as the shooter. We saw him with Pettersson before, he looked good. I could see him being a good PP guy. If Goldy works hard getting back no reason he can’t stick with Bo.

I think we have to take this with a grain of salt. He looked good for maybe less than a month, but he doesn't add size or defensive play (which puts even more pressure on EP to do so). I don't mind them together on a PP, but I just don't see it being effective long term and especially the playoffs. Ideally he's put on a line with good two way guys with size, but he's still has to put in an effort because the other guys shouldn't have to take on more to cover his deficiencies. The only way he can avoid this is if he suddenly becomes a prolific point getter (at least 0.8 PPG, not his career 0.5 PPG so far).

10 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Like the move 

we need offence 

need to push Leivo and Tanner And LE down the depth chart ....or off 

Get Beagle, Ferland and Roussel in .... now we are talking 

Since when has Pearson become a whipping boy? He's been pretty solid for us. He's a 40 point player... Don't know what you expected

Goldy is in an interesting spot career wise. He's had the right attitude and work ethic after being sent down, and produced on a level of what the organization expects from him - 8g, 12a for 20pts in 18gp.

He's been great with Boucher, really nice playmaking. I'd love to see him with Miller. I think there may be some similar magic there. Even Boeser.

Just based on the Utica highlights so far this season, it looks like Goldy's really gotten confident in setting up goal scorers. 

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Green has shown incredible patience with Virtanen and his development. Goldy was here for a solid 2 seasons to demonstrate growth and willingness to find another level to his game. I think Goldobin did both in his shirt time here, but players have been passing him at his growth rate and if you can't keep up, then you fall behind. This is another opportunity to prove to Green that he's willing to take it to another level, so it's all on Goldobin at this point.

As for being uplifting, Green shows a sense of humour with the media, so surely he's even more free behind closed doors. Green was called a players coach, so I can't see him being one of those tough guy coaches that rides their players. Green has an open communication policy with all his players to discuss issues. The fact that Goldy hasn't complained about being sent down likely means he's been communicated with and he understands the situation. Willie D in comparison has had several complaints in regards to communication, so Green must be much better as he's still coaching today.

Green isn't perfect, but he's not the reason why Goldobin hasn't become an NHL regular yet.

I do blame green A LITTLE... Didn’t say it all fell on his shoulders

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Didn't do much. Doesn't have long to impress till the others come back.

I thought Goldy was great. Barely got a look with Pete. He batted a pass over to Pete out of the air that Pete couldn't get. He had a hit, and a blocked shot That he wasnt awarded. 

He looked good in the 8 minutes that he played.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I thought Goldy was great. Barely got a look with Pete. He batted a pass over to Pete out of the air that Pete couldn't get. He had a hit, and a blocked shot That he wasnt awarded. 

He looked good in the 8 minutes that he played.

Have to agree and where he was noticeable to me was in defensive plays. He seems to be showing that he now gets that he has to play 200 feet to stick in the NHL. Blocked shot, takeaways, big hit creating a turnover, smart puck decisions while trying to get the puck out of the Canucks end. He still meanders a bit without the puck, but he’s a lot better then before. Hope he gets more than one game.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:34 AM, theo5789 said:

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/sven-baertschi

In his first 5 games, his most common linemate was Bo. But don't let facts get in the way.

2 games and not 5 - 2nd game was a split between Sutter/Horvat.  He only played 6 games so it's easy to look up TOI with Horvat.  He was often benched and didn't play much in 3rd periods despite Green saying he was playing well in those games.  Using Natural Stat Trick:

@ Jets - 8:15  with Horvat  most common centre

vs Devils - 4:40 and 4:54 with Sutter

vs Predators - 6:30   most common centre.  Beagle was missing and Sutter went down early in that game.

vs Dallas - didn't play together

vs Avalanche - didn't play together

@ Dallas - didn't play together

Henrik had that interview about how skilled players need to be around the puck and that they need ice time.  He was explaining how tough it is to play 13-14 minutes and expect to produce.  Baertschi didn't even get that kind of minutes and he wasn't even on the PP initially because there was Sutter.   He averaged 1:30 on the PP.  

Henrik was saying that a skilled player needs confidence.  When there is a 50/50 play if you are confident you will go for it, but if you don't have that confidence you are more likely to avoid making the play or you react too late and the play is gone.  Also without confidence you are less likely to be able to make a skilled play.  Laviolette says skilled players have to dare to create - they can't play to avoid making a mistake.  With so little ice time and getting benched regularly despite having a good game you play to not make mistakes. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3