The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Nikolay Goldobin, assign Sven Baertschi to Comets

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Baertschi never got a chance

He did get chances, but he never did enough.

My guess is Baertschi came back to VAN, enjoyed being around the team like old times. He may have thought he did his time in Utica and was now back. He didn't do enough to stay though. Can't blame anyone other than himself. If he wanted more ice time with Bo, then he had to earn it. Two assists in 6 games doesn't get you in the Top 6.

Really want Goldy to succeed and think he has the skill to do so he just needs to work hard up and down the ice.

Unfortunately, I dont see him as a favorite of Green and the other two coaches are idiots so it wouldnt surprise me if its a quick fall down the lineup and then back to the comets. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I can see Roussel slotting in for Schaller.  Motte and Schaller could be the extras if management goes ahead with demoting Eriksson.

The larger question marks in my mind are what happens if Goldobin sticks (like most of us want him to).  With everyone healthy, then there is basically no more room to just demote a player (unless the Canucks demote Gaudette given he is still exempt from waivers).

I can't see the Canucks trading Sutter.  Gaudette has been great but he's not a replacement for Sutter yet.  They have a different skill set but Sutter's face off ability and overall two-way play give coaching more confidence about sending him out in all situations.  I suppose the Canucks could play Beagle in more of that role if Sutter were to be traded, but having Sutter gives the Canucks way more depth at C.

If Sutter doesn't go and Goldobin sticks, then Gaudette has to bump someone off at wing since, I presume, the Canucks aren't just going to let him sit in the pressbox.  Leivo could be scratched but does he really deserve that?  Not sure.  He might not be producing a lot but he's been an excellent complimentary player for awhile now (if only for the way he wins puck battles).  Virtanen has not played poorly this year, but has the ship sailed for him with this management team?  Possibly.  The team always has the option of waiving Schaller or Motte and hoping they clear but they would presumably be extras most of the time on a fully healthy roster so, again, a regular will probably need to be moved.

In the short term, if Goldobin shows that he can stick it out in the NHL and as everyone start to get healthy, then I think management might just demote Gaudette to kick the can down the road.  I would like to think that they would demote Eriksson as well.  We're heading into Christmas so there might be a trade or two in the next couple weeks.  If anything happens, then I'll expect it to happen in the new year.

Of course, if Goldobin can't stick, then it makes management's life "easier".

I want Goldy to stick!! Now that we have more depth, defense ain't a real glaring problem anymore.... we just need Goldy to consistently create scoring chances and well, hopefully popping in a few goals too!! We are running dry with goals again and this is perfect timing for Goldy to slot in!! 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Wrong.

Baertschi never got a chance in the top six...  which is where his skill set works.

Baertschi never got a chance to play with Bo... who he has chemistry with.

The chance he got was on the third line... and he did well enough to set up Gaudette multiple times, with one resulting in a goal.

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/sven-baertschi

In his first 5 games, his most common linemate was Bo. But don't let facts get in the way.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/sven-baertschi

In his first 5 games, his most common linemate was Bo. But don't let facts get in the way.

Well there you go, he did get opportunity with Bo, he just didn't do enough to stay. He was also getting bumped around a bit, wasn't doing too well with the physical stuff, taking hits. He was ineffective. Maybe he gets another chance on another team? I'm sure he can still play in this league, but the Canucks are a pretty decent team now and they've upgraded.   

Ding - Ding - Ding

Let's see, last season when Goldie was playing with Pettersson 5 on 5 goals were being scored and both players were racking up the points AND THEN by some epiphany Goldie is pulled off the line and put on the grinder lines then by miracle of miracles, he is found "wanting", not good enough to play as a 4th liner.

His defense is stated as a problem, but he had better numbers than Sutter, Pearson and Eriksson. Even Jake had better numbers than them

BUT

Those guys are guaranteed a roster spot, Green can't just sit them out because of their contracts nor can he discipline them publicly, again because they are not going anywhere

SO

Green and the media trailing right along, crucify the kids because they can be sent down. Remember Green wanted to send down Boeser at the start of his career too. The kids get treated with less "respect" than the millionaire players with clause contracts.

NOW

With the cap so screwed up with players that will not be sent down and the team in desperate need of 5 on 5 scoring or at least the threat of scoring, one of the cap pawns gets moved

It is a good move to bring Goldy back he IS a player for the future, just 3 years from now over 2/3 this team will be over 30. This move could be a sign of a rebuild all the other crap this year, trading away the future, is for NOW, Capping out is for the NOW not the future.

Edited by ItTakesAnArmy
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, combover said:

I want Goldie to have success but I just don’t see it with greens  dump and chase system. 

He like most of the Nucks aren’t  built to retrieve pucks with an aggressive forecheck. 

Goldie has a very high percentage for zone entries with the Canucks, but it's lost on Green.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

He did get chances, but he never did enough.

My guess is Baertschi came back to VAN, enjoyed being around the team like old times. He may have thought he did his time in Utica and was now back. He didn't do enough to stay though. Can't blame anyone other than himself. If he wanted more ice time with Bo, then he had to earn it. Two assists in 6 games doesn't get you in the Top 6.

Sven was a bit snake bitten, he had some chances to score just didn't get the puck in the back of the net. 2pts in 6gp isn't horrible for a call up. Would've like to see him stay in the top 6 for his entire call up. It must take a bit of adjustment to go from AHL game speed to NHL game speed.

Also, MacEwen has done Ziltch yet he has been flanking Bo in recent games. 0pts in 3gp, it has to be noted if people are going to rag on Sven then it should happen to every player called up given decent ice time/ linemates.

Not sure what the Canucks were hoping from when icing Graovac, MacEwen and LE over players like Sven and Goldy when we had the 4 F injuries. We lacked secondary scoring, yet we chose to go with 4th line talent at best with size...players who don't know how to use their size...good luck ever being an NHL player if you are that size and can't run around like a bowling ball. Heck Virtanen needs to realize that, 4th line with 4F injured...where does that put him in a week or 2 when we have Sutter, Beagle, Ferland, Roussel and Motte back...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2