The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Habs @ Canucks Dec. 17 7:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Interesting observation. Could some of the players be tuning Green out? I know they like to use injuries as an excuse, but lots of teams have injuries. Look at PIT missing Crosby. Now that's a big loss, but the Pens still remain competitive (tied with CAR in their division). IMO, they are not getting enough from Horvat, Boeser, Stecher and Myers.   

Some of the players that usually have a good work ethic, such as Bo, are looking rather "uninterested". I commented about his hitting lately and now his goal scoring has become somewhat sporadic. I am thinking something is up. Even Petey doesn't look like his regular "feisty" self. Just some observations but who knows unless you are in that locker room.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I don't buy that. We are playing differently now then the beginning of the season. The intensity is not there and we are back to the days when we thought we were "too talented to play a full 60 minutes". We are not finishing checks and we are playing "tentative" and "reactive". We were breaking out of our zone with authority and one or two passes and we were back on the attack. Now we are trying to dump it out to relieve the pressure and change lines. We get manhandled off the puck in the O zone and then we are back in our own zone again. Like others have said, we have become far too predictable.

In the beginning of the season, the defense was way more involved in the play. That's why I mentioned that it doesn't look like they are playing 100% (and certainly miss having someone like Edler taking the brunt of the minutes). When the defensemen aren't supporting the forwards, then it creates a gap that makes passes tougher. If the forwards drop back, then you're allowing their defense to control the neutral zone.

We were given more time and space at the start of the year and teams have closed that gap. Green does need to figure out something that works with what he has now. With that said, our top line has been pretty dangerous the last few games despite the results. It's no surprise Benning is suggesting he wants another top 6 forward, Ferland was suppose to be that guy, but seems less likely now.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Some of the players that usually have a good work ethic, such as Bo, are looking rather "uninterested". I commented about his hitting lately and now his goal scoring has become somewhat sporadic. I am thinking something is up. Even Petey doesn't look like his regular "feisty" self. Just some observations but who knows unless you are in that locker room.

maybe it's from playing 25 minutes a night, taking every important faceoff, and carrying the defensive responsibilities through a month of injuries?

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

JV had 10 goals through 34 games last season and 9 this season. Its not how you start its how you finish. If Jake has 15 goals by the AS break then i'll take notice.

And Jake is like 8 points from matching last season's totals in half the games. He's getting more assists this year because he's creating more havoc and opening up ice for his linemates. Goals are not the only indicator of improved play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Saw a stat on Twitter that shows how poorly Green’s staff has prepared the team: 71 of the last 116 games they’ve given up the first goal, record during that span 17-42-12. For those who are going after the fire the coaching staff crowd you cannot deny that stats an indictment on them not being prepared to start games, it’s costing them wins and will be the number 1 reason they miss the playoffs. 

They are also 2-10-1 when trailing after the 1st and have been tied or trailing after the first in 22 of 34 games.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

maybe it's from playing 25 minutes a night, taking every important faceoff, and carrying the defensive responsibilities through a month of injuries?

Please no more excuses. The playoffs is a far more gruelling grind that lasts for the better part of 2 months for some. A lame excuse.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And Jake is like 8 points from matching last season's totals in half the games. He's getting more assists this year because he's creating more havoc and opening up ice for his linemates. Goals are not the only indicator of improved play.

3 more assists over the first 34 games compared to last season is barely an improvement for a 5th year pro. If he finishes with 20+ goals and 40+ points like he is on pace for then I'll believe it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Please no more excuses. The playoffs is a far more gruelling grind that lasts for the better part of 2 months for some. A lame excuse.

what's your point? expecting bo horvat to produce at a 30-goal, 70-point pace is simply unreasonable and unrealistic during periods when he has to carry the team in so many other areas. it's pretty simple. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I recall vividly, the hard crisp passing at the start of the season. They made it look easy to possess the puck, and make plays, lot of time in the O zone. They could almost score at will. I'm not sure other teams have "caught on" so much as the Canucks stopped playing the way they were to start the season. There is a lot more dumping and chasing, lazy plays, hate that. It's like "Here's the puck! Now, I'm going to chase you!" lol  

Dump and chasing and lazy plays go hand in hand? Seems contradictory to me. If I was going to argue against dumping and chasing, I'd say it requires too much effort to do it night in and night out and may have gassed the players especially when the injuries started to roll in.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

3 more assists over the first 34 games compared to last season is barely an improvement for a 5th year pro. If he finishes with 20+ goals and 40+ points like he is on pace for then I'll believe it.

In the meantime, there's no reason to dump on Green for his deployment while he is currently at that pace.

Meh, who knows with this team at this stage....my prediction is that if they give up the first goal they will lose....and they have given up a lot of goals of late....collectively the team D has hit a slump and the goaltending well they are human afterall....don't have a good feeling about this one.....the Nucks seem to have hit a wall could be on the edge of a long slump....

16 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

A philosopher told me that unrequited passion leads to conditional love.

17 minutes ago, tas said:

what's your point? expecting bo horvat to produce at a 30-goal, 70-point pace is simply unreasonable and unrealistic during periods when he has to carry the team in so many other areas. it's pretty simple. 

The point is that it could be a lot of things including a undisclosed injury and it could be that he is not totally agreeing with his coach. Like I said, we don't know, we are not in that locker room. But to say its because he has to do his job during regular season play is a weak excuse and not realistic considering how old Bo is and how he plays.