The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WASTING POWER PLAYS

Rate this topic

rainel

5 hours ago, rainel said:

A group of us watch the games and we have just been dying  lately whenever  Canucks have power plays.  The  guys seem to be  wasting the whole time  passing, passing, and passing. When the team started up  last year they would just shoot those nice hard shots. Now, not so much !  Let's get back to those shots on the net ! JUST SHOOT ! 

Also..................we really missed seeing Trevor Linden at the  festivities  

No team has scored more power play goals. We are 4th for PP%. You and your friends apparently need to learn hockey before you criticize it.

This is why we need downvotes. Enough of these safe spaces.

Edited by 5Fivehole0

9 hours ago, rainel said:

A group of us watch the games and we have just been dying  lately whenever  Canucks have power plays.  The  guys seem to be  wasting the whole time  passing, passing, and passing. When the team started up  last year they would just shoot those nice hard shots. Now, not so much !  Let's get back to those shots on the net ! JUST SHOOT ! 

I'd give you a laugh reaction, but not worth giving you an upvote. Let's just make a quick comparison shall we?

More shooting -> More shinpads (how many did Edler hit last year?)

More passing -> PK forced to shift -> Shooting lanes open up -> Shots on goal -> Goal/2nd, 3rd opportunities on the rebound/O-zone faceoff

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Power Play is one of the few parts of the Canuck team game which is working as it should.

I have no complaints... other than that the team is relying on it to generate goals too much.

No complaints, but going to complain anyway.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

I'm no expert, but sometimes the shooting lanes we think we see on TV are not the shooting lanes the players actually see at ice level.

Also, yelling 'Shoot!' at the TV does not actually make a player on the ice shoot the puck, This, I do know.

Wait are you serious, god damn it. How do I get them to shoot when I want them to then??

14 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Send the 2nd unit out first.  The 1st PP knowing they don't have as much time as before may create a greater sense of urgency.  

I thought of this too.  In fact, I think the coaches actually do this sometimes.  The second unit plays less of a finesse (passing) style than the first unit which I think wears down the other team's first pk unit.  They shoot more and cause more chaos.  That would make the job of our first pp unit easier... to face a tired first pk unit or a less effective second unit.

22 hours ago, rainel said:

Think there's 26 other teams that would like our PP...

Nearly 30% over the last 7 games...I'd say thats pretty damn good.

Maybe just leave it for now....

Edited by spook007

I didn't realize Trump comes on these boards to troll Canucks fans, wonder if he hits up the other Canadian teams forums lol.

PP is forth best with more PP goals than any other team. Canucks have 41 PP goals through 42 games. They had 43 PP goals all of last season, but yeah we should get back to that. Thanks OP

10 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

I didn't realize Trump comes on these boards to troll Canucks fans, wonder if he hits up the other Canadian teams forums lol.

PP is forth best with more PP goals than any other team. Canucks have 41 PP goals through 42 games. They had 43 PP goals all of last season, but yeah we should get back to that. Thanks OP

A very good PP makes the opposition think twice before they make a sketchy play.  If they can maintain these kind of numbers, it's extra protection for the players.