The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Slavery back?.....

RowdyCanuck

25 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

We're all slaves to some extent. Especially in a society where we have to pay more and more every year and see less return on that 'investment.' It slowly equates to longer hours and or more days, more years, to the point where many won't get to retire because they've spent so much capital just getting through the days and years. This is the growing paycheck to paycheck crowd and those that aren't far from being on that same boat. 

If you want to know who your real masters are check out government payrolls and benefit packages. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Increased taxes. Increase general cost of living. I know you got wrecked in the other thread a while back but you can cut the attitude, son, quit being so bitter and grow up. 

taxes aren't slavery. Give it up.

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Increased taxes. Increase general cost of living. I know you got wrecked in the other thread a while back but you can cut the attitude, son, quit being so bitter and grow up. 

Who got wrecked? Where?

Said by a man who desperately wants everyone to know how oppressed he is because he's white and pays taxes. 

Increased cost of living and taxes are issues but calling them slavery? You sound like a complete child. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Who got wrecked? Where?

Said by a man who desperately wants everyone to know how oppressed he is because he's white and pays taxes. 

Increased cost of living and taxes are issues but calling them slavery? You sound like a complete child. 

I think what torts means in North America  the slaves get paid next to nothing and the government keeps raising the price of living , so in a sense we are all slaves to our jobs........( I don't disagree with this but this is using the word slave in a different context) 

is that what your aiming for? @Tortorella's Rant

Edited by RowdyCanuck

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

BC spot prawns are amazing, no slavery needed either. It surprises me that a lot of people don't know how good our local prawns are. 

I get one good feed of them every year from my brother...they come straight from the boat to me.

I'm SOOOO leery of food products and read labels as much as possible.  Thing is, some is so deceptively marketed.  

My ex's dog is allergic to pretty much everything but duck and vegetables.  Went to a known/trusted pet store to buy him some treats (the dog, not my ex).  Found some "pure duck" with a red Maple Leaf on the front.  Product of Canada...apparently, meaning ONLY that we've imported it from China!   Dogs have been killed by this brand and I freaked out/called me ex with a frantic 'DON'T FEED HIM ANY MORE'.

I hate the greed in this world...it's at the root of all evil.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Who got wrecked? Where?

I never said nor implied I was oppressed by being white and paying taxes. Fallacy 101; don't hurt yourself reaching there trying to 'zing' me

But yes, effectively more and more people in this country, for starters, being driven towards poverty because of these things is effectively a form of slavery because it forces you to work more hours, more days, more years, and in some cases right until you're in the grave, all so you can pay off the mortgage on that postage stamp sized apartment. But don't get excited about that because even death costs a pretty penny unless you're fine being fed to the wolves. An increasing number of people every year struggle to make ends meet; debt is at an all time high, increasing inflation. Your money buys you less and less every year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I never said nor implied I was oppressed by being white and paying taxes. Fallacy 101; don't hurt yourself reaching there trying to 'zing' me

But yes, effectively more and more people in this country, for starters, being driven towards poverty because of these things is effectively a form of slavery because it forces you to work more hours, more days, more years, and in some cases right until you're in the grave, all so you can pay off the mortgage on that postage stamp sized apartment. But don't get excited about that because even death costs a pretty penny unless you're fine being fed to the wolves. An increasing number of people every year struggle to make ends meet; debt is at an all time high, increasing inflation. Your money buys you less and less every year. 

I was simply summing up your whinging over the last couple of weeks. 

For what it’s worth, I do agree that rising costs of living and stagnating wages are issues we need to deal with, but to say we’re all slaves based on that (in a thread featuring people being sold at full blown slave auctions) is just asinine. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

That iPod or phone you use was likely built with what is effectively slave labor. 

Pretty much any phone, laptop, probably your computer components. Or anything you get in a dollar store these days.

Or your shoes, clothes, etc.

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Slavery never went away. The slave masters just found it was easier to have the slaves provide their own housing and food and call it "earning a living".

no unfortunately , it hasn't  I wonder how many personal" housekeepers" are being taken advantage of in the lower mainland , thousands I bet  

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Pretty much any phone, laptop, probably your computer components. Or anything you get in a dollar store these days.

Or your shoes, clothes, etc.

People need to stop blaming corporations or governments and look in the mirror. Stop 'racing to the bottom' by purchasing the cheapest product and/or products knowingly made by slave/child/highly impoverished labour. Support local companies, local (and/or domestic) workers and when buying goods (foreign or domestic), companies who pay actual living wages.

We and all our consumer spending hold the lion's share of the power to create change. But it requires educated and discerning consumers. 

• Cheers 4

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We and all our consumer spending hold the lion's share of the power to create change. But it requires educated and discerning consumers. 

Agreed. Unfortunately, the vast majority of society worldwide are severely undereducated. Sucks.

But further on the slavery front. Maybe I can get my roof redone, now.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, the vast majority of society worldwide are severely undereducated. Sucks.

But further on the slavery front. Maybe I can get my roof redone, now.

This is why voters should also demand more money spent on education and associated infrastructure ;) 

• Upvote 1