The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Simmonds

I know we have a few extra middle six players but no one is a fighter like Simmonds or have the hands in front of the net, his one of the best at tipping pucks.

his on a one year deal worth 5 million, so with the right package we could get the Devils to retain salary.

also I could be wrong but I don't think Simmonds has had any head problems like ferland in his career, even so his a one year rental and maybe he sees a bright future and a chance to win a cup and signs for a lil less, if he plays good here. 

I want a guy like Simmonds to keep the rats away and he would be real handy in the playoffs also he plays a simple game but he could look good riding shot gun for petey or with bo. 

Even if Simmonds is on the fourth line it's good to have a guy willing to fight anyone....

I dont know know what to really offer so I would say a  second and someone to make the cap work and a c or B level prospect.

• Upvote 1

Would have to be money out money in deal, and I don't know if I see the need for him.  The team has done well sticking up for each other this year, so taking his physical prowess out of the conversation, he just adds to our already sizeable middle six player log jam.

16 minutes ago, Type R said:

Would have to be money out money in deal, and I don't know if I see the need for him.  The team has done well sticking up for each other this year, so taking his physical prowess out of the conversation, he just adds to our already sizeable middle six player log jam.

I think Simmonds is an upgrade and we need a fighter sorry but we need someone to help make Jake and the boys play big every night not just once in awhile. 

Also either power play he would be a bonus in front of the net. 

37 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I think Simmonds is an upgrade and we need a fighter sorry but we need someone to help make Jake and the boys play big every night not just once in awhile. 

Also either power play he would be a bonus in front of the net. 

I'm not so sure about that anymore.  Miller and Bo have been experts in tips and screens on PP 1, and hasn't Pearson been doing the same on the second unit?

If they would take 2 years of Sutter for a UFA Simmonds then I'd probably do it if we need to do money in for money out deal.  At least it helps get cap off the books and we could potentially flip him again at the deadline, teams believe they need guys like him to win in post-season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I know we have a few extra middle six players but no one is a fighter like Simmonds

Even if Simmonds is on the fourth line it's good to have a guy willing to fight anyone....

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

20 or so total playoff fights 3 years ago.  8 two seasons ago in the playoffs.  3 all of the post-season last year.  Notice a trend.......? 

But yeah, I guess we need a fighter:picard:.......  I'm not saying Simmonds wouldn't add a certain 'element', but you're not selling me by advertising his fighting, especially for playoff purposes. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

20 or so total playoff fights 3 years ago.  8 two seasons ago in the playoffs.  3 all of the post-season last year.  Notice a trend.......? 

But yeah, I guess we need a fighter:picard:.......  I'm not saying Simmonds wouldn't add a certain 'element', but you're not selling me by advertising his fighting, especially for playoff purposes. 

Simmonds isnt a goon who only is on the ice to fight. He hits, had a knack for scoring quite regularly and is well known for standing up for his teammates. All good qualities to have in a player we could maybe look to add to our team for the playoffs.

Has Simmonds play fallen off, sure has but that is why he won't cost a ton to acquire. I don't see us in on him, I see Calgary or Edm sniffing around on him as a cheap rental option for a playoff push.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Okay I rather have Simmonds if we get the flames in the playoffs or the oilers....

I agree fighting has gone down but with MT playing the way he is does and Kassin and then you add reeves......yea I want a fighter and not a pest. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, xereau said:

We could dream it would be that easy, but Simmonds will be in demand to a lesser degree at the TDL, especially if NJ retains 50% to make it easier for teams to acquire him. 

For us to send Sven back they are taking an additional year of cap hit they will want a pick or prospect in return. I think they can move Simmonds to another playoff team easier

11 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We could dream it would be that easy, but Simmonds will be in demand to a lesser degree at the TDL, especially if NJ retains 50% to make it easier for teams to acquire him. 

For us to send Sven back they are taking an additional year of cap hit they will want a pick or prospect in return. I think they can move Simmonds to another playoff team easier

Same deal just add William Lockwood....b level prospect kinda like how we go motto

I'm not overly concerned about having a guy who will throw, we've got a bunch of large bodies up front and on the back end and fighting has been on the decline for years. 

I'd be more concerned about what we'd have to give up to get him and make the cap work along with adding another body to an already crowded forward group. 

let's propose instead

simmonds

for

loui

(and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2022

if nj resigns him for a contract extension of not less then 3 x 3 million)

let's make the devils bad for a least the next 5 seasons

so let's vet this deal:

the salary cap exchange works (both teams can accommodate the new contract they get)

given that it is 1 player for 1 player, it clearly does not mess up number of contracts each team has

the nucks still have their 2022 2nd round pick available to move

i see no other issues that create flaws in this trade

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

let's propose instead

simmonds

for

loui

(and a conditional 2nd round pick in 2022

if nj resigns him for a contract extension of not less then 3 x 3 million)

let's make the devils bad for a least the next 5 seasons

so let's vet this deal:

the salary cap exchange works (both teams can accommodate the new contract they get)

given that it is 1 player for 1 player, it clearly does not mess up number of contracts each team has

the nucks still have their 2022 2nd round pick available to move

i see no other issues that create flaws in this trade

I see a flaw in that your thinking is all messed up! Why would anyone trade for Lui and then a draft pick two years from now. Then need a pick this year and probably a player like Virtanen going back, why else would they trade.

33 minutes ago, the grinder said:

I don't think that is enough money out to make it work , if NJ retains I think they would want more than that coming back,  right type of player that we need  to target

3.3m plus 1.9m would cover simmonds but NJ probably gets a better offer

10 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I see a flaw in that your thinking is all messed up! Why would anyone trade for Lui and then a draft pick two years from now. Then need a pick this year and probably a player like Virtanen going back, why else would they trade.

how will anyone know if the condition is met

if nj cannot resign loui till the last year of his current contract

you think they should get the 2nd round pick early

and then end up not complying with the condition

what if loui chooses to retire?

you clearly do not understand how contract extension signings work