The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NO! (Discussion)

I am not against having fun and posting a proposal...….hey fill your boots!

But In real life, I do not want the Canucks to do anything, but clear cap.

We just can't be adding anyone until we do. The problem is, the other team will

either be clearing their own cap, or wanting prospects and picks...….

Even lateral moves where we up grade a position really is questionable, 

as we truly have to clear that cap and not add to it.

And as Coastalview always asks, why would another team give you a good asset

with not asking for something of equal value back?

So, yes propose until your blue in the face, but lets hope Benning takes a very conservative

approach to this years TDL...………..lets be a seller, not a buyer

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

Schaller and Tanev traded. Eriksson waived if his performance remains subpar.

Play MacEwen and Bailey instead of Schaller.

Play Rafferty, Tryamkin and Juolevi instead of Tanev.

Play a car crash dummy instead of Eriksson

That's mean...a car crash dummy has a feelings too.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Schaller and Tanev traded. Eriksson waived if his performance remains subpar.

Play MacEwen and Bailey instead of Schaller.

Play Rafferty, Tryamkin and Juolevi instead of Tanev.

Play a car crash dummy instead of Eriksson

Schaller. Forgot about him. He can hit the road too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WCE said:

Clear cap Cap out Eriksson, Sutter, Schaller, Stecher, Tanev if not re-singed by deadline. Would also move Markstrom if not re-signed, if re-signed 2-3 year extension at 5 million per or less 

What team with  cap space is going to want any of those guys? 

• Upvote 1

It isn’t just about clearing out cap space, it is clearing out inefficient cap usage.

That points to Eriksson, Baertschi, Schaller, Sutter, or Benn.  

Moving any of them costs us picks or prospects and that is just the price to pay at this point.

Clearing put useful players who are efficient uses of cap space is just a bad idea.  Tanev or Stecher make us better now and we shouldn’t be moving them.  That would be a terrible message to a team currently fighting for top place in the division, and could have serious consequences going forward re-signing our own guys.  Players have short careers and robbing them of a playoff run would be deeply resented by the exact guys we want to rely on going forward.

Benning hasn’t shown a creative side to making moves, but if we can make a trade that clears cap and laterally moves some pieces in and out, that is the kind of move we could use.  

A roster player, a couple of futures, and a cap dump for a guy like Dumba would be exactly the kind of move that we should try to swing.

... or locking up Markstrom for 4 years at a decent cap hit and trading Demko packaged with a cap dump added.

Edited by Provost

3 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I am on team sell. Don't care where we are in the standings.

Selling will improve the team for years to come when we'll need it most.

No we won’t.  We will be spending extra to re-sign our RFAs because they will want nothing to do with wasting their prime years on a team that is intentionally trying to lose in several years of their very short careers.

Any futures we get aren’t going to be ready to play for 2-3 years, and replacing the guys we sell off for equivalent UFAs will be more expensive than just keeping our own players.

There is no such thing as a constant rebuild that eventually goes somewhere. Your players come off their ELCs really quickly and you have to pay them market rate.  

4 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I am on team sell. Don't care where we are in the standings.

Selling will improve the team for years to come when we'll need it most.

Imagine the message that would send to the fans? Yeah we’re right in the thick of it for not only a playoff spot but top spot in the division as well but let’s sell. 

54 minutes ago, Pears said:

Imagine the message that would send to the fans? Yeah we’re right in the thick of it for not only a playoff spot but top spot in the division as well but let’s sell. 

I think your point is valid, Pears

But there are some small moves that could be done...…...

I think for a Playoff team short on wingers Baertschi and Sutter could be moved for little cost, and would save us money, 

On Defense, I don't see much difference in Fantenburg, Benn and Stecher, so I think Stecher could be moved, IMO

Knowing Benning, he is not moving Tanev, Markstrom, or Demko at this TDL, but could be forced to at the draft...…...

I also see Eriksson gone by summers end.....

But this TDL, we should not be adding...……..

IF, as some have suggested in other Threads, we added Kreider or Simmonds, the cost is too much...…….and what does it say

to the other players, that we are adding a high profile player, to take ones place...…...

If any of the 3 suggested players were to leave, I don't think anyone would be bothered, and the reduced cap pressure may ease the team

as we would be reducing cap, which I am sure they are totally aware of.

19 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think your point is valid, Pears

But there are some small moves that could be done...…...

I think for a Playoff team short on wingers Baertschi and Sutter could be moved for little cost, and would save us money, 

On Defense, I don't see much difference in Fantenburg, Benn and Stecher, so I think Stecher could be moved, IMO

Knowing Benning, he is not moving Tanev, Markstrom, or Demko at this TDL, but could be forced to at the draft...…...

I also see Eriksson gone by summers end.....

But this TDL, we should not be adding...……..

IF, as some have suggested in other Threads, we added Kreider or Simmonds, the cost is too much...…….and what does it say

to the other players, that we are adding a high profile player, to take ones place...…...

If any of the 3 suggested players were to leave, I don't think anyone would be bothered, and the reduced cap pressure may ease the team

as we would be reducing cap, which I am sure they are totally aware of.

Baertschi and Sutter I’d be ok with moving since we’ll need the cap and they won’t have a spot on next years team anyway. 

• Cheers 1