The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap Hell for Canucks!!! (GREAT NEWS from Daly re: CAP for next year!!)

Rate this topic

HKSR

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Where is this report? Everything to date has benn Toffoli (and his wife) praising the city and the people/teammates. Whatever he may have felt about being traded, he and his wife may fall in love with being here and it helps that we are a competitive team.

It was Greg Lytisyn from LA I think on the radio saying how upset he was and he referred to him always as a rental.

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Perhaps he does, Let us hope so, as he has been saying all along they have a plan

This is a discussion forum and we just discuss and speculate what that could be, It would be pretty quiet here if no one did speculate and kick around ideas;)

He also said they were not rebuilding, and they would not trade anymore draft picks away and then there is the FACT, that with more than 10 players to sign contracts none of been done yet and what negotiations reported have broken down - Markstrom's

And he said the team is younger, they're not

The started to rebuild after the Sedin's retired

He has never said the team goal was to win a playoff round just be competitive and hope to make the playoffs, a huge grey area.

Too many players needing raised and not enough money, he can't keep burying millions in the minors. Demko is gone though I am sure.

HKSR, I like your take on the cap situation because I think it is quite realistic and obviously the team retains key assets in Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli.

The salary values for resigning are reasonable. I would say that they may be a little on the low side, but I do believe that these players WANT to stay with the Canucks. Marky, Tanev, Virtanen have helped to build this team and will want to resign here to see what it can achieve. 

I believe that trading Benn and Baer will be reasonably straightforward (although we may need to add a sweetener to move Baer without retention - which is critical). Trading Sutter is potentially going to be more difficult because of his modified NTC where he can select 15 teams he cannot be traded to. This may be more of an issue than finding a team willing to accept his full cap hit.

Finally, one other issue that JB will need to consider is the Ferland LTIR situation. If Ferland comes back healthy and starts playing on the roster then JB will need to work out how he fits him in under the cap. It could be a tricky situation...

On 1/23/2020 at 11:25 AM, Alflives said:

I think we have to walk away before we can sign him to less.  He has to become a UFA on July 1, and then we can offer him the same deal as this season.  

Yeah 

Maybe Benning says to him at end of season  - I'd like to keep you, Its a numbers game I can't pay that, you can test the market.  If you want to remain a Canuck after you become a free agent. I would resign you back at this amount

• Cheers 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:08 PM, 24K PureCool said:

Why killing your brain cells worrying about this. You can't do anything about it. 

Let JB and management loss brain cells over it.

This is a discussion forum isn't it?

People just share ideas here on their opinions on how it could play out

Why would you join a discussion if you don't want to talk about issues?

Just read the paper if that is the case

It is obvious to everyone , that JB and ownership will make the decisions over us

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

GREAT NEWS for the Canucks cap situation:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-deputy-commissioner-bill-daly-cap-projected-between-84m-88m-1.1452368

Likely means we can bring Stecher back into the mix!

Oh no....... What are we going to worry about now... 

Sounds like we can move away from he ledge for now, and actually enjoy, what Benning and the boys are trying to achieve.

Thanks. This is great news indeed...

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

GREAT NEWS for the Canucks cap situation:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-deputy-commissioner-bill-daly-cap-projected-between-84m-88m-1.1452368

Likely means re-signing Toffoli, and we could also bring Stecher back into the mix!

Heard on the radio. Great news and should help all the folks fretting to relax a little :lol: 

For anyone wanting to see the actual figures:

Should be even easier to clear some dead weight now too with the floor presumably going up with the cap.

@Provost some good news for you buddy ;) @Jimmy McGill, you'll like this too :) 

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Am I the only one that thinks it would have been figured out anyway and kept our players haha, JB the man.

But yes great news!

Nope. There was some pretty clear paths to doing so. None of which are likely to be too painful. Move Roussel and perhaps Benn, buyout or retain on Baer and right there you've already cleared over $6m.

At that point, we don't even 'need' to, but if you can't convince Eriksson to retire/terminate, retention and bring back +/-$m AHL salary makes him quite moveable/salary neutral as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

The prices for ditching dead weight should go down if there is that much more in the system.  I will have to listen to this because the word from the December BOG meeting was a basically flat cap.  I wonder what changed in two months.  I assume no escalator clause as the escrow is likely to be high this year and players really want to bring that down.

Even at $84 million, that gives a little breathing room.  On the bad side, it gives breathing room for all the other teams and may raise the prices of UFAs like Markstrom and Toffoli because there may be more teams that have free money.

Yes to all that but it sure makes FAR it easier for Benning to make moves now. That's the best part of all this, even if it costs us a few hundred thousand extra to retain Marky/Toffoli.

We might ACTUALLY be able to move Eriksson now too(without costing an arm and a leg in assets) and have LOADS of space as well.

Move Roussel and Benn, retain/buyout Baer and retain on Eriksson + this cap rise and we have plenty to give Marky a +/- $2.5-$3m bump, Virtanen, Gaudette and Toffoli $1m'ish more each and Stecher and Motte $500k'ish more each and bring back Tanev.  

If we do manage to move Eriksson, we could even explore upgrading on Tanev...:ph34r:

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Heard on the radio. Great news and should help all the folks fretting to relax a little :lol: 

For anyone wanting to see the actual figures:

Should be even easier to clear some dead weight now too with the floor presumably going up with the cap.

@Provost some good news for you buddy ;) @Jimmy McGill, you'll like this too :) 

capfriendly has already adjusted our cap space to be at least 20.5 mil. With potential buyouts we can easily hit 25. If Loui is convinced to retire thats a bonus now. 

• Cheers 2

I wonder if the league and GM’s already talk about this pre trade deadline and don’t announce it until after. Could make sense as to why benning traded for toffoli and didn’t seem worried at all about the cap situation. 

Then again like others have said I’m sure he already had a plan even without knowing this.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I wonder if the league and GM’s already talk about this pre trade deadline and don’t announce it until after. Could make sense as to why benning traded for toffoli and didn’t seem worried at all about the cap situation. 

Then again like others have said I’m sure he already had a plan even without knowing this.

In the December Board of Governors meeting the GMs came out with the impression the cap would stay relatively flat.

(the link quotes Lebrun who talked to several GMs coming out of the meeting)
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2019/12/latest-on-salary-cap-ceiling-for-2020-21.html

The league was way off on their projections last year and it ended up being lower than they announced... but one would think they waited to be much more sure this time around.

There is one kind of exotic reasoning for why the cap could go higher that I hadn't originally given much weight.

It was possible that this coming season was going to be a lockout season with either side being able to opt out, so many players structured their contracts for less "real dollars" being paid this year and had more paid in other years of their contracts.  That artificially lowers their percentage of hockey related revenue which is based on real dollars and not averaged cap hits.  It could offset the fact that almost every team is above the cap floor/ceiling midpoint and the expected resulting huge escrow clawback.  If the players don't get a big escrow hit this year, are they willing to use their 5% escalator clause to raise the ceiling higher than it should be.

Not sure if I described the above to make sense.  It is also kind of a longshot in my eyes as the player agents aren't dumb and know that it would be an artificial bump that could come back to bite them in future years... though they also benefit from having more money in the system to negotiate contracts for their UFAs, and could just hope that the new TV deal money fixes the escrow issue going forward.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

Ufa's are going to love the cap increase

That goes for Markstrom as well

We need to lock up Markstrom and Toffoli ASAP.  We wait too long and the price will certainly go up.

• Upvote 1

On 3/1/2020 at 12:20 PM, The 5th Line said:

Well actually Baertschi and his 3 mil got buried in the minors and Ferland ended up going on LTIR, and we even have Goldy and his 955k also buried.  All happened since Roussel came back

full proof plan by Benning 

This is why you are one of the least respected members of CDC. Strawman tangents seem like your go to move. Don't worry, you're not the only whiner that does that

The thread is about cap hell. My point was that the snivelling whiners relentlessly stated  that we were going to lose players to waivers at the beginning of the season and again when Roussel returned. It didn't happen

To your tangent, definitely that could have been part of Bennings plan. It was a calculated risk that Goldy and Bear cheese would slip through waivers unclaimed. Bear because of his cap hit and concussion history combined made him an unattractive target. Goldy because he is an unproven player who would have to remain on the roster of whomever claimed him.   We also had other players than Ferland on IR that would have worked using LTIR. Coincidentally, that was one of the arguments used by the level-headed posters to justify the opinion that we would not lose players to waivers when Roussel returned. We get many injuries and we will probably have injured players when Roussel returns. Using that as an argument now confirms your hypocrisy.