The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Feb. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

The team learned about losing now they've learned how to win.  It's way better.  I think it'll stick as they've seen both sides and are learning along the way.  Won't be clear sailing, but they will know not to get too desperate and discouraged.  Sounds so cliche but, as they say game in and out, stick to their game plan and don't start doing crazy stuff in response to being down.   To have patience and no sense of panic.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

This Hughes kid is unreal. How can a player play like this? His skating is so good that you almost think he never stops moving his feet. He can beat you easy with just one change of stride and no one can do anything, absolutely nothing about it. I honestly wouldn’t trade him for anyone at this point, kid could be a legendary defenseman for us and we’ve never had anyone like that ever. 

Is Maker really better than Hughes? I haven’t seen many Avs games lately. Saw a couple earlier on in the season but don’t quite recall how Maker plays. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Yes...he is.  That might change after Makars game but he is currently one point ahead of Makar in rookie scoring at the end of today's Canucks Islanders game or as of the time I wrote that comment as per NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/rookies.htm

Ya i thought u meant makar was one point ahead . Lol. Misunderstanding.  

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Hughes Interview - When we lost 3 in row in December people were losing it

haha you know who you are 

They are the bandwagon crew that will be saying they've been supporting this team all along when we make the playoffs. Until then, they're simply just waiting for the team to falter to pounce again.

cat surprise GIF

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Really enjoyed the game.  The team battled hard and came very close to getting the reg. win.  They were playing a great defensive game and keeping the NYIs away from the net.

The OT showed us just how dominant this team is when they are in a pinch.  It felt Sedin like during their reign.

Miller. 

22 minutes ago, Pete M said:

If Miller keeps producing, he may pass EP40 in points ...52 games and 52 points; only six more points and he will have matched his best point total in his career (58 points).

Love Miller!

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

This Hughes kid is unreal. How can a player play like this? His skating is so good that you almost think he never stops moving his feet. He can beat you easy with just one change of stride and no one can do anything, absolutely nothing about it. I honestly wouldn’t trade him for anyone at this point, kid could be a legendary defenseman for us and we’ve never had anyone like that ever. 

Is Maker really better than Hughes? I haven’t seen many Avs games lately. Saw a couple earlier on in the season but don’t quite recall how Maker plays. 

Seems totally crazy to be able to agree with that. But I do. I would not let him go for any other player in the league right now.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, cory40 said:

I have bad news for you then. Quinn will win the Calder because he is better suited for the long season with his effortless skating!  

::D It would not be bad news for me my friend. I’ll be happy for the boy, but I’m far more interested in the team continuing their impressive run. 

I expected/hoped we would be a bubble team this season, and hopefully sneak in. However the play of the team has me hoping for more, and its only going to get better. 

If Hughes wins the Calder it will be deserved, as he’s been magic, but for me the most important part is the team. 

Hughes keeps this up, the Calder will take care of itself. :towel:

Edited by spook007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

???  They are on a 14-3 run.    Far from a sustainable pace and today was the first official goalie pulled goal on Vancouver all year (leads the NHL).    

Team on historic run (certainly in terms of recent history) and people are not satisfied.    The joy of professional sport.

Better believe it. We shouldn't be satisfied until we have playoff success, a 14-3 run is cute but when it comes down to it, late in the game in the playoffs, we need to be able to hold on to leads and push. Blowing another 3-1 lead is pathetic.

Doesn't matter how you look at it, we've blown leads all year long. You could argue that the modern day NHL allows for more goals and comebacks, but if we play like this with a lead in the playoffs we're going to get spanked the way Tampa and Florida destroyed us.

So to answer your question no, we shouldn't be satisfied with regular season success. Yes, this season's goal was to make the playoffs but looking at how weak and tight the Pacific is, why stop at there?

• Wat 2

13 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

“Yeah it's great. You can't say enough about him, he's playing so well. He's such a good kid. The guys like him too, they appreciate guys that are talented yet humble and he's got both of those elements.” - Green on Hughes

yeah there's a trend... BH, BB, EP, QH... Brilliant...

https://media1.giphy.com/media/PTSIHXfd6dUiI/giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Has a team ever had 3 calder candidates in a row?  This team is so good its hard to believe it's us!!

Somewhere JB is sitting feeling pretty good about himself just now... In JB we trust..

Edited by spook007