The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

14 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

If the Canucks can exchange Baertschi for Simmonds, then I think that works out for all parties.  If I'm not mistaken, combined with Ferland on LTIR, then NJD wouldn't need to retain.  Who knows, maybe Hischier wouldn't mind playing with a fellow Swiss player.  The Devils aren't really in dire straits with their cap so they could afford this.

Why would they be interested in Baertsch given that he’s got another year left on his contract.  There was no interest in him when he was on waivers.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Why would they be interested in Baertsch given that he’s got another year left on his contract.  There was no interest in him when he was on waivers.

They wouldn’t.  But if Baer was attached to Lockwood, that might peak their interest.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Dumping those guys and their contracts would be great, but IMO a guy like Baer will need to be attached to a decent prospect (Lockwood?) to move.  

Lockwood is unlikely to be sufficient.   He is a NCAA player whose rights expire this August.  Too much risk that he goes UFA if the Canucks trade his rights.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

Lockwood is unlikely to be sufficient.   He is a NCAA player whose rights expire this August.  Too much risk that he goes UFA if the Canucks trade his rights.  

Shhhhh.  That’s why I floated his name.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Shhhhh.  That’s why I floated his name.  

One of the reasons for firing Shero was that ownership wanted a larger group involved in the decision process including their analytics department.  Tyler Dellow is their head of analytics.  He used to be a stat writer and has criticised Benning enough for the Baertschi trade.  Given his previous takes and now that he is in the AHL doubt that they would be interested.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Lockwood plus Baer work? 

Unfortunately not. Lockwood isn't enough to entice a team to take on Baertschi's contract, nevermind the cost of acquiring Simmons. Lockwood alone for Simmons might be enough if Lockwood is willing to sign in NJ. Maybe send a 6th or 7th round pick NJ's way as well. But we're going to have to give up at least a 3rd round pick or a B prospect to get rid of Baertschi's contract. I'd probably rate Lockwood as a C prospect at best. My 2 cents.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Not sure why we'd waste a roster spot on Simmonds. I don't see what he adds. 

He's likely better than Schaller, MacEwen and Bailey. Even if he's our 13th forward, you need depth in a playoff run. There's bound to be injuries. He also plays a playoff style game. If the cost was minimal, it wouldn't be a bad acquisition. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Like the player, don't like the price.

Do you mean his contract? $5M is definitely steep. Like a previous poster mentioned, this is likely in case Ferland ends up back on LTIR and if that happens, NJ would need to eat salary to bring it down to $3.5M. No one is going to take on that salary at full value.

As far as the price goes, it can't be much more than a C prospect and late round pick. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

He's likely better than Schaller, MacEwen and Bailey. Even if he's our 13th forward, you need depth in a playoff run. There's bound to be injuries. He also plays a playoff style game. If the cost was minimal, it wouldn't be a bad acquisition. 

this version of Simmonds? it's hard to say because we haven't really seen much of Bailey and big Mac. 

3 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Do you mean his contract? $5M is definitely steep. Like a previous poster mentioned, this is likely in case Ferland ends up back on LTIR and if that happens, NJ would need to eat salary to bring it down to $3.5M. No one is going to take on that salary at full value.

As far as the price goes, it can't be much more than a C prospect and late round pick. 

Don't want to give up futures for rentals.  We'd also have to give extra to get rid of a bad contract of our own.

Edited by King Heffy