The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks interested in Wayne Simmonds

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if he'd be a fit with CBJ... they have the cap space and are still in a good position in the standings to add. 

Good call.  He may be a Torts kinda guy....

And they have an insane volume of injuries including Anderson (Josh), Dubinsky and Texier....

I think you could be onto something there.

Send Roussel to Columbus

Use that return, in part, to dump Baertschi into a Simmonds deal....

Rent Thompson.

EP Miller Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Boeser

Gaudette Sutter Simmonds

Thompson Beagle MacEwen

(LE, Schaller)

[Motte, Ferland, Leivo]

Cap cleared for next year = Roussel 3.0, Baertschi 2.292/3.367, Schaller expires 1.9,  Leivo expires 1.5....

'Chemistry' may be an issue - but realistically, these are bottom six moves - a bottom six that has been in constant flux all season, regardless.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd trade for Simmonds even with Ferland coming back.  I'd want both in the lineup for the playoffs so our skill guys don't get rag dolled and we punish the other teams.  The playoffs are a whole different level than the regular season.  it will be a war of attrition.  Even a guy like Reaves can be effective in the playoffs as was shown over the last couple years in Vegas.

Miller        Pettersson  Boeser

Pearson   BO             Simmonds

Ferland    Gaudette    Virtanen

Roussel   Beagle       Motte

That is a very good lineup to start in the playoffs.  Big physical wingers up and down the lineup.  I'm not sure the cap implications of adding Simmonds and Ferland but I am sure Benning can figure it out.  We can get rid of Schaller or Leivo to make room for Simmonds, plus New Jersey could always retain.  We could send them a young prospect and either Schaller or Leivo to even out the salaries for the trade while New Jersey retains.  

If you're going to pencil them both into your lineup (and a healthy Motte) = I'd move Roussel. 

Very unlikely you see Sutter(who you appear to have forgotten) in the press box in favour of a Roussel imo

32 minutes ago, oldnews said:

If you're going to pencil them both into your lineup (and a healthy Motte) = I'd move Roussel. 

Very unlikely you see Sutter(who you appear to have forgotten) in the press box in favour of a Roussel imo

That’s a good point. Either Motte or Roussel can sit for Sutter and Sutter can slide onto the 4th line. My lineup has more truculence which I know will be needed come playoff time. But Sutter is still in the equation. He could even replace Gaudette on the 3rd line if he struggles at all in the playoffs.  

For me Sutter is the guy you keep and he can slide onto pretty much any line. Good versatility to have come playoff time. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

The more I think about Nate Thompson - the more I'd be looking into making that deal happpen (and don't expect 90% of these boards to 'get it').

He is about as good 'insurance' imo as will be available at reasonable price - he not only fortifies the bottom 6, but he could make a potential key loss - ie Beagle or Sutter manageable.  As it is imo if the team losses another one of their hard to play against forwards - at center - and it's in trouble.

Adding another heavy forward, faceoff and shutdown guy would mean not having to rely on a guy like Pearson - who could save that jump for 2nd line secondary scoring.

I also think I'd move Roussel - moveable cap imo - and do it promptly - at this deadline.

It's not that I don't like him as a player, but that is cap that could be cleared, probably even bring a return (that may in part be used to move other cap) and in the end, I'm not sure a hungry young player like MacEwen doesn't bring what Roussel can/does.  In the meantime they have LE to placehold, Schaller as a 13th man, and the return of any of Motte, Ferland or Leivo pushes LE out of the lineup....

I've been thinking Rous was a prime candidate for a cpl months now.

Roussel coming back mid-season from that injury was always going to be sketchy.  

Short term he’s been underwhelming but I think he’ll be back to his pesky self next season.  

I’d flush Schaller way before Roussel.. probably easier to do, too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Roussel coming back mid-season from that injury was always going to be sketchy.  

Short term he’s been underwhelming but I think he’ll be back to his pesky self next season.  

I’d flush Schaller way before Roussel.. probably easier to do, too.

Fair enough - Roussel doesn't really look like himself - but Schaller expires anyway - no real need to move him.  Moving Roussel would partially be a cap move - I don't want to get too critical of him - overall a good player - but if the 3rd line is not going to lean towards the shutdown side....he's not that fast, not that big/heavy, doesn't really separate people from the puck, not the most effective forechecker, not particularly tough = pest, yes, tough, meh....works hard, has some two way upside - but I'm not sure he's not peripheral in the near future in any event and I think I might get out ahead of it.  If on the other hand Sutter moves back to center - they made a good complement.

• Cheers 1

On 2/8/2020 at 9:13 AM, Canucklehead73 said:

I dunno... kinda like ericksson... 20/30 goal scorer and looks to be falling off a cliff production wise.... should scare most of us away after watching ericksson the last few years...

But pearson turned it around coming here...

I'd rather not myself unless its to get out of erickssons contract somehow without giving up much... 

Also doubt there is much pressure for nj to take on bad contracts to get rid of an ufa

2 completely different players. Simmonds contract is also ending this year. 

On 2/8/2020 at 10:08 AM, kenhodgejr said:

I would be more interested in a real heavyweight like Ross Johnston 

Just signed a 4 year extension. They aren't about to trade him. We could've traded for Reaves prior to Vegas. That type of player is clearly not of interest to this organization. 

On 2/8/2020 at 9:02 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

That seems like a lot to pay considering the last two years that Simmonds has played. He is still young enough that a change of scenery should help his game but I think that either or of Sutter or Lockwood is enough and no pick should be included.

Im not saying i would do it. If it was me, i would stand pat at the tdl. The team is not good enough yet. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If they want truculence, get the Vancouver native out of Calgary. 

This serious issue with softy McSmurf play from our veteran support/role players is killing our team.  However, is it how Green coaches that’s creating this, or is it the players!  If it’s Green, then move on.  If it’s the players, then that’s on JB.  If it’s both (my belief) then Aquilini needs to step in, and hire an experienced man as President.  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This serious issue with softy McSmurf play from our veteran support/role players is killing our team.  However, is it how Green coaches that’s creating this, or is it the players!  If it’s Green, then move on.  If it’s the players, then that’s on JB.  If it’s both (my belief) then Aquilini needs to step in, and hire an experienced man as President.  

I think it’s a bit from both columns. That doesn’t help Pettersson, Boeser, or Hughes though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think it’s a bit from both columns. That doesn’t help Pettersson, Boeser, or Hughes though. 

What are those three elite young stars learning about their support players?  What are they learning about their coach’s ability to get those role/support players to play the right way?  What are they learning about their GM to get the right support players?  Petey already made a comment (yes he was clearly frustrated) about other players, coaches, and management being responsible to help protect him.  Trots was available to coach, and we didn’t even make a call.  Gallant and Babs are available and has there been a call?  Aquilini is a great owner for us to have.  Clearly he loves the team, and our city.  I just wish he had a strong character with a lot of NHL experience as his President advising him.  (Lou Lam for example) 

38 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

31 years old 

steady decline in stats for five years

the same size and weight as Pettersson. 

Simmonds will fight ANYONE and always sticks up for his teammates. He may not be the offensive player he once was but he has the heart and grit that every team needs. I assume you being a Canuck's fan, it's hard to understand that concept. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Simmonds will fight ANYONE and always sticks up for his teammates. He may not be the offensive player he once was but he has the heart and grit that every team needs. I assume you being a Canuck's fan, it's hard to understand that concept. 

His haymakers are legendary. 

• Like 1