The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You’re so 100% right on this topic.  Oil is the lifeblood of our current comfortable lives.  Oil is in almost everything we use.  If people want to be good little tree huggers, then they need to give up all products with oil in them, staring with their phones.  Then give up all transportation that uses oil.  That means walking, and not in comfy shoes.  Oh, and only eat locally produced foods.  Ships and trucks, that bring us things like coffee) burn a lot of diesel.  

Yup.  Tree huggers are bigger hypocrites than the biggest trees they hug..  

of course they are  its embarrassing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

cool stuff. A totally unsubstantiated (and disputed by the RCMP btw) report from The Guardian as retold by a biased reporter at The Tyee. 

I consider myself an environmentalist, but I don't put any stock whatsoever in articles from The Tyee.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You’re so 100% right on this topic.  Oil is the lifeblood of our current comfortable lives.  Oil is in almost everything we use.  If people want to be good little tree huggers, then they need to give up all products with oil in them, staring with their phones.  Then give up all transportation that uses oil.  That means walking, and not in comfy shoes.  Oh, and only eat locally produced foods.  Ships and trucks, that bring us things like coffee) burn a lot of diesel.  

are they supposed to get their message out by carrier pigeon too, or is it OK to use a computer? By this logic you should do your own home surgery if you want to see the health system changed. 

You're not a hypocrite if you want to see change but are forced to use some parts of the system you don't like. Some people can't afford expensive alternatives but would love to switch products if they could. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I consider myself an environmentalist, but I don't put any stock whatsoever in articles from The Tyee.

I don't like whats happening in a certain segment on the left, its too much like the alt-right now with over simplifications, symbolism and hyperbole taking over discussions. 

There are so many good ideas that get drowned out that it makes me wonder if these folks are just doing more harm than good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

are they supposed to get their message out by carrier pigeon too, or is it OK to use a computer? By this logic you should do your own home surgery if you want to see the health system changed. 

You're not a hypocrite if you want to see change but are forced to use some parts of the system you don't like. Some people can't afford expensive alternatives but would love to switch products if they could. 

I am all for peaceful protest that doesn’t infringe on the rights of others.  When protesters affect the rights of others, then they are crossing the line IMO.  They are then hypocrites, if they in any way use any products which use oil.  Or if they eat any food that is not locally produced.  If people want change that’s fine, but don’t infringe on others’ rights to affect that change.  

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Or, how are they supposed to go oil free when the alternatives haven't been developed yet?  It's a chicken and the egg scenario.  There was a time when solar panels were obscenely expensive.   Now the cost has come down substantially.  A lot of people can't jump on the alternatives train until costs, availability improve.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I am all for peaceful protest that doesn’t infringe on the rights of others.  When protesters affect the rights of others, then they are crossing the line IMO.  They are then hypocrites, if they in any way use any products which use oil.  Or if they eat any food that is not locally produced.  If people want change that’s fine, but don’t infringe on others’ rights to affect that change.  

ah OK I think I get your point now. 

Well,  suppose there must be a few true hippies out there making their own soap and walking to the protest. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't like whats happening in a certain segment on the left, its too much like the alt-right now with over simplifications, symbolism and hyperbole taking over discussions. 

There are so many good ideas that get drowned out that it makes me wonder if these folks are just doing more harm than good. 

'Agreed. Although, truth be known, The Tyee has been that way for a long time.

I remember several years ago, they were caught out posting decades old photos of clear-cuts and passing them off as current (at the time) logging practices in BC.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It’s the ANTIFA movement coming up here, or at least their philosophical approach.  These extremists vilify anyone who does not agree with their political views.  That’s what’s happening.  It extends to every aspect of our current society.  Defend, in any way, what the extreme left is proposing, and be called racist, racist, women hater, gay bashed, environment rapist, etc.  And you know what; it happens on CDC (multiple times) every day.  These people are simply bullies.  They ban together (just like here) and bully those who propose other/different views.  Not all, of course, but many.  I see people representing the far left hiding behind masks to attack those with different views, when in public.  It’s exactly the same as how some posters on CDC hide behind the anonymity of the Internet.  It’s actually a very sad affair all round.  

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think this is an important distinction that often gets overlooked.

I'd love to own a hybrid, or a Tesla and I'd love to go Geo-thermal with my home, but both are financial pipe dreams unless I hit the lottery.

It doesn't mean that I can't care about the environment and do my best to reduce my carbon footprint in other ways. This "all or nothing" argument is pure ignorance.

However, you could eat a local diet (unless health reasons don’t allow that).  It’s not about going all in, or you’re a hypocrite.  It’s about doing what one can do, within their personal and financial constraints, while not infringing upon others’ rights.  I’m a huge hippo.  

there are similarities to the oka situation ….proposed golf course on a burial site JUST WRONG!  The haida's lyell island protest. All 3 situations gained  support  fast......you either understand the wrongness of this against the Unist'ot'en  land rights and title ….or you dont!      this has nothing to do with being a tree hugger or not   being pro oil or anti oil  or not  . but upholding their right to the land. end of...……….

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

However, you could eat a local diet (unless health reasons don’t allow that).  It’s not about going all in, or you’re a hypocrite.  It’s about doing what one can do, within their personal and financial constraints, while not infringing upon others’ rights.  I’m a huge hippo.  

:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s the ANTIFA movement coming up here, or at least their philosophical approach.  These extremists vilify anyone who does not agree with their political views.  That’s what’s happening.  It extends to every aspect of our current society.  Defend, in any way, what the extreme left is proposing, and be called racist, racist, women hater, gay bashed, environment rapist, etc.  And you know what; it happens on CDC (multiple times) every day.  These people are simply bullies.  They ban together (just like here) and bully those who propose other/different views.  Not all, of course, but many.  I see people representing the far left hiding behind masks to attack those with different views, when in public.  It’s exactly the same as how some posters on CDC hide behind the anonymity of the Internet.  It’s actually a very sad affair all round.  

ANTIFA has been around for 100 years, nothing new there. I have no issues with people shouting down Nazi's. 

I don't like the shouting down of discussions tho. 

• Cheers 1

It appears as though the Wet'suwet'en met recently and asked coastal link to move their line less than 7 total kilometers to avoid going through what they consider culturally and environmentally sensitive areas to them.

Coastal refused.

That is when the RCMP were called in.

Whether this is true or not depending on the official timeline it makes coastal Link and the government look mighty bad as there's numerous amendments in every title holder contract regarding the right to ask a project to move, or to withhold right of access via contract cancellation.

Guess we'll find out.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It appears as though the Wet'suwet'en met recently and asked coastal link to move their line less than 7 total kilometers to avoid going through what they consider culturally and environmentally sensitive areas to them.

Coastal refused.

That is when the RCMP were called in.

Whether this is true or not depending on the official timeline it makes coastal Link and the government look mighty bad as there's numerous amendments in every title holder contract regarding the right to ask a project to move, or to withhold right of access via contract cancellation.

Guess we'll find out.

Could you source that please Hip?

I read an article recently that said Coastal had requested a face to face meeting with them and were rebuffed. Clearly, someone isn't being completely forthcoming. :unsure:

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

ANTIFA has been around for 100 years, nothing new there. I have no issues with people shouting down Nazi's. 

I don't like the shouting down of discussions tho. 

I don’t think it’s the citizens responsibility to interfere with another’s right to speak.  That’s the police force’s job.  It’s anarchy when citizens play the role of the police.  Unless, of course, a person’s safety is in jeopardy.  Then we should step in.  But if someone is saying stuff we don’t like, that’s their right.  If it crosses the line of freedom of expression it’s our responsibility to report that to the authorities, and nothing more.  

50 minutes ago, chon derry said:

there are similarities to the oka situation ….proposed golf course on a burial site JUST WRONG!  The haida's lyell island protest. All 3 situations gained  support  fast......you either understand the wrongness of this against the Unist'ot'en  land rights and title ….or you dont!      this has nothing to do with being a tree hugger or not   being pro oil or anti oil  or not  . but upholding their right to the land. end of...……….

so its not quite as simple as 'they have title' and thats that. The crown can still infringe on aboriginal title if: the impact is minimal; theres fair compensation made available; and the duty to consult has been attempted.