The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

Were all the deadline deals just a meaningless giveaway of picks and prospects? I hope the season returns in April.

If you can re-sign them than no. However if the season is over and Toffoli doesn’t re-sign it will really sting if Madden continues his development and turns into a solid NHLer. Hopefully Vancouver gets more than 10 games from Toffoli for that price tag.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If you can re-sign them than no. However if the season is over and Toffoli doesn’t re-sign it will really sting if Madden continues his development and turns into a solid NHLer. Hopefully Vancouver gets more than 10 games from Toffoli for that price tag.

Madden most likely wouldn’t have signed with the Canucks.  Benning isn’t stupid.  
That and best case he serves as a 4th line center, something I’m sure he does not want and why he prob wouldn’t have signed 

50 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Madden most likely wouldn’t have signed with the Canucks.  Benning isn’t stupid.  
That and best case he serves as a 4th line center, something I’m sure he does not want and why he prob wouldn’t have signed 

Well that’s just an assumption that he wouldn’t sign. He doesn’t seem like the stick it out through 4 years of school. Also just because he’s a Center doesn’t mean he can’t play on the wing. With his size I’d say there’s a better chance he plays wing in the NHL.

• Upvote 1

On 3/7/2020 at 8:56 AM, ba;;isticsports said:

\ytHypothetical Question-

If You were the manager and Tylers agent said we will Only sign a 5.5 1 yr contract, do you sign that or just take it that the agent is being greedy to get him a big raise from any team, for what would be another breakout year for him playing along EP and Miller a whole year and pass on the offer? That would not sound like a team player and someone interested in staying, but at the same time it gives a prospect winger  more time to develop, but now, you also have to give up that other draft pick for signing him. I personally want players on the team that want to be here for the team, as players do too

If I'm Tyler Toffoli's manager, I'm first asking what he wants for his future and if it's in Vancouver.

If Vancouver is realistic, I'm placing a value on Tyler that he's happy with.

The real strategy is whether he takes a longer deal based on his performance, thus far, in his career, or does he bet on himself continuing to light it up with Petey and JT over the course of a shorter deal to really go for the big money later.

If I'm his agent, I'm all for him betting on himself.

He lit it up after the trade, getting 10 pnts in 10 games. That's a huge improvement,projection-wise and has to be quite tantalizing for JB and could be career changing for Tyler.

1yr @ 6 million

This deal gives Tyler a healthy raise and isn't terrible for the team.

If he does continue his torrid pace, or close to it, the deal provides value for the team as well. 

It also doesn't lock either party into a long-term, undesirable position if things go south, giving both sides freedoms at the end of it to either renegotiate a long-term deal or walk away.

19 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

If I'm Tyler Toffoli's manager, I'm first asking what he wants for his future and if it's in Vancouver.

If Vancouver is realistic, I'm placing a value on Tyler that he's happy with.

The real strategy is whether he takes a longer deal based on his performance, thus far, in his career, or does he bet on himself continuing to light it up with Petey and JT over the course of a shorter deal to really go for the big money later.

If I'm his agent, I'm all for him betting on himself.

He lit it up after the trade, getting 10 pnts in 10 games. That's a huge improvement,projection-wise and has to be quite tantalizing for JB and could be career changing for Tyler.

1yr @ 6 million

This deal gives Tyler a healthy raise and isn't terrible for the team.

If he does continue his torrid pace, or close to it, the deal provides value for the team as well. 

It also doesn't lock either party into a long-term, undesirable position if things go south, giving both sides freedoms at the end of it to either renegotiate a long-term deal or walk away.

Haha...Toffoli is not signing a 1 year deal. Come on.....

21 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

What kind of salary would we expect? He signed 3 x 4.8 as an RFA coming off of 34 points. 6x6? At least he would probably we worth it, unlike Loui

As a top line capable player I don't see why he would ask for anything less.

54 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

What kind of salary would we expect? He signed 3 x 4.8 as an RFA coming off of 34 points. 6x6? At least he would probably we worth it, unlike Loui

JB absolutely must dump Loui, so we can sign Tofu.  It’s a bug lose if we still have Loui next season, and no Tofu.  

6 hours ago, sassbs said:

Why wouldn't he have signed with the Canucks? Could you please elaborate your actual knowledge of this?

Unless if it's just your opinion that you consider to be a fact somehow. I know that it's fun to pretend to know what you're talking about. I once pretended I was a dragon.

Edited by The Lock

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Why wouldn't he have signed with the Canucks? Could you please elaborate your actual knowledge of this?

Unless if it's just your opinion that you consider to be a fact somehow. I know that it's fun to pretend to know what you're talking about. I once pretended I was a dragon.

IMO it was the wrong time to make the Tofu trade.  We are still rebuilding, and need all our top prospects and picks.  However, I also believe Madden would not have signed with us.  He’s a very light guy, 150 pounds, who wants to play centre.  He’d need to gain weight (physically mature) to compete for a spot on our team.  (Our centre depth is excellent)  That would mean he’d have to do this maturing physically in the AHL.  IMO, Madden would choose to develop in college.  He’d be able then to pick the team with his best chance to take a centre spot.  I think he’s extremely happy going to the Kings.  Now he can come out of college early, and do his maturing on an NHL club.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMO it was the wrong time to make the Tofu trade.  We are still rebuilding, and need all our top prospects and picks.  However, I also believe Madden would not have signed with us.  He’s a very light guy, 150 pounds, who wants to play centre.  He’d need to gain weight (physically mature) to compete for a spot on our team.  (Our centre depth is excellent)  That would mean he’d have to do this maturing physically in the AHL.  IMO, Madden would choose to develop in college.  He’d be able then to pick the team with his best chance to take a centre spot.  I think he’s extremely happy going to the Kings.  Now he can come out of college early, and do his maturing on an NHL club.  

I don't really think there's anything solid to base that on. I kind of see Madden as having a Gaudette-like mentality. Gaudette was more than willing to play wing., basically do anything to get into the league.

I'm sensing a lot of paranoia with college players here, and understandably so when you have players like Butcher, Fox, and Vesey just choosing what team they want to play for. However, keep in mind that's a small sample size of the overall number of NCAA prospects in the system. Nevertheless, I can't argue against thinking he might, but you also wouldn't be able to argue against me thinking he would sign here for the very same reason: we don't know. Period. lol

So I guess I'm of the mentality of why immediately think the negative about what would happen, despite the odds being against that?

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't really think there's anything solid to base that on. I kind of see Madden as having a Gaudette-like mentality. Gaudette was more than willing to play wing., basically do anything to get into the league.

I'm sensing a lot of paranoia with college players here, and understandably so when you have players like Butcher, Fox, and Vesey just choosing what team they want to play for. However, keep in mind that's a small sample size of the overall number of NCAA prospects in the system. Nevertheless, I can't argue against thinking he might, but you also wouldn't be able to argue against me thinking he would sign here for the very same reason: we don't know. Period. lol

So I guess I'm of the mentality of why immediately think the negative about what would happen, despite the odds being against that?

How bad is the Tofu trade (hurts us while helping a rival) if we don’t sign Tofu, and he’s just a rental?  

18 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

And then suffers a career ending injury and realizes he left 30 million dollars on the table?  

Fair argument but, as I said; He'd be betting on himself.

Right now, I see him in that 5- 5.5 range which seems to be a trend here. 

Before he came to Vancouver Tofu averaged just over 0.50 ppg. 

Though a small sample, he dramatically raised his ppg to 1. 

That is a big jump but hardly enough for him to go after a big contract that sees him to the end of his career. 

If he can come into next season and produce 70+ pnts, my clients value goes up by a huge margin. 

It could also add more term at the other end of his career and buy him another season at max pay out.

As his agent, my job is to maximize his value and get him as many years as I can.

At the very least, he still maintains his current value but still buys more time at the other end of his career.

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

Madden was on TSN after being traded.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

How bad is the Tofu trade (hurts us while helping a rival) if we don’t sign Tofu, and he’s just a rental?  

I tend to be of the mentality that you can't really base trades on what may or may not happen in the future. Obviously, value probably changes somewhat depending on what you think you can or cannot do on acquiring a player, but at least we have first dibs on trying to sign him if that's the goal. We at least know that if he wants to stay here then he can (provided it doesn't break the bank for us of course).

It's really a similar mentality I have with Madden. We can't say whether he would have signed with us or not and the accusations to say he wouldn't are completely unfounded unless if evidence is brought forward to support them. I don't get why we expect our prospects to be like that automatically with no rhyme or reason, but I guess people like to jump to conclusions rather than think logically about it.