The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Just Dont Get It With Canuck Fans

Rate this topic

Zigmund.Palffy

Sometimes teams that are on course to get into the playoffs will trade picks and prospects for actual NHL players who will help them get5 in, and then who knows. The Canucks are now in this position, so we should all be happy. What is the alternative? Keep what they have and then watch them fall to the bottom of the standings again? Where's the fun in that? Heck no, I'd rather be a good team gearing up for the playoffs. They might not have that Cup winning team assembled just yet, there are players that need to move on before that happens. But at least they'll be compettive. If Toffoli has a good experience here over the next few months, I can see him re-signing. If Benning needs to move players out to make the Cap work, I think he'll do that as well. He's done whatever has been needed since he started here 6 years ago.     

Love the passion from the OP. 

I am super happy with the trade.

Madden was a good prospect, but we have to consider his ceiling here in Vancouver.  He was a middle 6 - 9 player at best playing behind Petey, Bo, and Gaudette who are all still super young and not even close to their prime years.

Toffoli is already a legit top 6 player who can play on the top line.  He has proven to be a heck of a playoff player.   Hes a complete winger with tenacity that can potentially pop in 25 - 30 a year for us and is still pretty young.   

Losing Madden isnt going to hurt us when all 3 of our centers are still very young.  We have wingers who are still young, and prospects in Podkolzin, Lind, Hoglander, McKewan, Gadjovich, who all have the potential to make an impact for us down the road. 

Benning is building the deepest team we have ever iced.  When everyone is healthy we have legit threats on each line.  How can anyone not be pleased by this?   

Edited by EddieVedder

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Benning's on 650 right now.

As for TT....feels we have 7 "up & coming/in the system" + 7 young players in the system now....so 25 and under players 2/3 of the team. Pool is deep enough to do this.

(Podz, Hog, Lind Juolevi, Woo, Rafferty, DiP?)

Podz, hog, woo, Jasek, Lind, Rafferty, OJ......Mac probably isn't lumped in with that group, nor would MD.

That's my guess 

19 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Love the passion from the OP. 

I am super happy with the trade.

Madden was a good prospect, but we have to consider his ceiling here in Vancouver.  He was a middle 6 - 9 player at best playing behind Petey, Bo, and Gaudette who are all still super young and not even close to their prime years.

Toffoli is already a legit top 6 player who can play on the top line.  He has proven to be a heck of a playoff player.   Hes a complete winger with tenacity that can potentially pop in 25 - 30 a year for us and is still pretty young.   

Losing Madden isnt going to hurt us when all 3 of our centers are still very young.  We have wingers who are still young, and prospects in Podkolzin, Lind, Hoglander, McKewan, Gadjovich, who all have the potential to make an impact for us down the road. 

Benning is building the deepest team we have ever iced.  When everyone is healthy we have legit threats on each line.  How can anyone not be pleased by this?   

He probably wasn't going to supplant Jasek either who has transformed his game since moving to a top 6 c position in Utica.  He plays PP, PK and against the opposition's top lines night in and night out.  IMO, they are grooming him as a bottom 6 shutdown cman in Van.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Exactly OP!!

In the end Madden cost us a 3rd round pick.  He could be a good pro in 2-3 years.  He maybe would be our 4th line center by then.  He has a better shot in LA and Tiffoli is a gamer.  

What player wouldn't want a shot at Petey's wing or Bo's for that matter.  LA was a sinking ship and now he is on one of the most exciting and upcoming teams in the NHL.  

I think this move happens with or without Brock hurt.  Ferland has more jam, but scoring depth is key.  Great move IMO and a ballsy one too.  

Benning should get some credit for keeping our long term injury woes under wraps until the deal was sealed.

Judging by the trades since he's kind of kicked the dam wide open too.

TDL be damned, always seems the early birds get the best deals.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

He probably wasn't going to supplant Jasek either who has transformed his game since moving to a top 6 c position in Utica.  He plays PP, PK and against the opposition's top lines night in and night out.  IMO, they are grooming him as a bottom 6 shutdown cman in Van.

ELC guy coming into replace Beags?

OMG WHERE THEY GONNA GET THE CAP FOR PETEY AND HUGHES?!? :frantic:

• Haha 1

Just now, xereau said:

ELC guy coming into replace Beags?

OMG WHERE THEY GONNA GET THE CAP FOR PETEY AND HUGHES?!? :frantic:

He's really been a revelation I think.  I'm pretty sure it was Sid who tracked him all through the Czech leagues and kept reminding us all he was going to surprise us.  He was challenged by Cull and has responded, in spades.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Podz, hog, woo, Jasek, Lind, Rafferty, OJ......Mac probably isn't lumped in with that group, nor would MD.

That's my guess 

Mac, with seasoning could be a hell of an effective player.  Not to Podz level, but he is smart, has really good size, can skate really well, and is tenacious in the offensive zone. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Torts said:

Some people play too many sim games where they win nothing but 1st ovr draft picks. 

This is real life. Petey is here Huggy bear is here we need to give them a team every single year. 

Why not us. 

or they listen to our local media...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

It's fine.

Once  Canucks miss this years playoffs..... Toffoli 's signs in the summer for next year back in LA...... , those people that cheered after watching him only play 20 games for our club this year........  those fans will jump back onto the bandwagon,  crying that we lost a future hall of famer in  Madden....

Fixed it for you....  

36 minutes ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

Hmm Madden hall of famer? 

Could we afford to have another undersized player in our already fragile roster? 

Something to think about. 

Madden will be a good NHLer. But just not a good fit for us. 

Future first line NHL player....

https://dobberprospects.com/player/tyler-madden/

Edited by kingofsurrey