The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Dylan DeMelo to Jets for 2020 3rd-round pick

I mean, if they think they can extend him (he won’t come expensive to re-up), then a 3rd is good for a responsible defenseman, who’s still young and reliable. But if he walks, seems like a trade that wasn’t needed, especially considering they’ll likely miss the playoffs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Monty said:

I mean, if they think they can extend him (he won’t come expensive to re-up), then a 3rd is good for a responsible defenseman, who’s still young and reliable. But if he walks, seems like a trade that wasn’t needed, especially considering they’ll likely miss the playoffs.

I think Winnipeg's odds of signing him go way up by bringing him in now. He gets used to the team and the city, and might be more willing to do something longer term.

Whereas a young player getting an offer in late June from Winnipeg, with only preconceived notions of what it's like to play there...the Jets would likely have to outbid others significantly.

• Cheers 1

Good for both clubs.  Gives the Jets more depth and at a far lesser $ value than Bogosian.  Senators need to continue selling and building around Tkachuk and Chabot.

I wonder if the Senators will trade Hainsey, Boroweicki or even Zaitsev.  I think they'll hold on to Zaitsev and possibly Hainsey, mostly to still keep some veterans around as they work in Brannstrom to the line-up again and maybe give Jaros and Lajoie another taste of the NHL.

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I think Winnipeg's odds of signing him go way up by bringing him in now. He gets used to the team and the city, and might be more willing to do something longer term.

Whereas a young player getting an offer in late June from Winnipeg, with only preconceived notions of what it's like to play there...the Jets would likely have to outbid others significantly.

Looking at his advanced stats, they’re “kinda meh.” However, all Senators currently have a pretty unimpressive Corsi. When he was on San Jose, albeit a better club, he had a positive Corsi. As a right shot defenseman, all depends on who’s he’s paired with, I guess.