The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

31 Thoughts Podcast with Travis Green

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

Not exactly any hard hitting questions. How good is Petey how good is quinn how well do you and Jim get along how good is Marky. 

Always said Green is likeable.  But it's not a popularity contest.  Make the playoffs.  Drive the team  forward or get replaced by someone better. Same formula for the coach  as it is for the players. 

• Cheers 1

Really like his commitment to keep any kind of disagreement behind closed doors.  Makes for a boring interview but appreciate the professionalism.   Won't stop people whining about him not throwing guys under the bus after a tough loss even after he's said it's not his style.

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Really like his commitment to keep any kind of disagreement behind closed doors.  Makes for a boring interview but appreciate the professionalism.   Won't stop people whining about him not throwing guys under the bus after a tough loss even after he's said it's not his style.

I swear some people salivate over the idea of him throwing players under the bus in post game interviews and they get so upset when he doesn’t haha

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I agree with not publicly throwing individual players under the bus, but he threw the team under the bus with that timeout in Montreal. Not only was that public, but it was warranted.. He was pissed, and rightfully so. That's what he needs to do on a consistent basis.

I feel like Green would be such an interesting interviewee if he were more open, but I understand why he's not. Hopefully, he opens up sometime later when he's retired from coaching.

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sadly this will fall on deaf ears with the fire Green crowd, but that was a good interview. I don't agree with everything Green does but I'd be willing to hear him out on why respectfully, unlike J Pat. 

Dont be so quick to judge or you run the risk of sounding just as negative as the people wanting Green fired. I actually watched it and I feel like it bought him more time at the very least. It was refreshing to see that side of him.

I did not appreciate them saying Vancouver is the 2nd toughest market in Canada. How the hell does one even go about measuring something like that? Not saying we are angels but were do you come up with Montreal is the toughest market but Vancouver is definitely second, but certainly Toronto is not 2nd. How do you even measure something like this and come up with definitive rankings? Boggles the mind.

Edited by Shirotashi

13 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

I agree with not publicly throwing individual players under the bus, but he threw the team under the bus with that timeout in Montreal. Not only was that public, but it was warranted.. He was pissed, and rightfully so. That's what he needs to do on a consistent basis.

Until it wears off on the players and he’s losses the group? It was nice to see how the team came out after that I agree but I’m sure there’s a line and only Green would know where that line may be. You have to remember he’s been coached himself and he admits he wasn’t a coaches player in his younger years. He understands a lot more then you or I. We don’t have to argue about if Greens a good coach or a bad one. I don’t think everyone is perfect obviously but the man knows a few things 

26 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Pat Quinn himself said Vancouver was tougher than Toronto and that was discussed in that interview, he has more than enough experience with both markets to say as much. 

Im sorry I dont agree that alone qualifies the statement. Is it so hard do defend your own market? Yes you see 

your own negativity inside, you want to succumb to the dark side i feel it. Lol seriously tho when did Pat Quinn say

that? Was it taken out of context at all? Was he still miffed at being let go? 

I dont recall but would their be any coaches that would have an un unnecessarily negative point of view of Toronto

and its fanbase? You dont suppose that recency bias plays any part? Again though 1 statement from 1 coach does

not qualify the statement.

27 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Im sorry I dont agree that alone qualifies the statement. Is it so hard do defend your own market? Yes you see 

your own negativity inside, you want to succumb to the dark side i feel it. Lol seriously tho when did Pat Quinn say

that? Was it taken out of context at all? Was he still miffed at being let go? 

I dont recall but would their be any coaches that would have an un unnecessarily negative point of view of Toronto

and its fanbase? You dont suppose that recency bias plays any part? Again though 1 statement from 1 coach does

not qualify the statement.

If we r all good, mannered fans, I would agree with u. I would be furious. 

But I'm part of the fanbase and I've seen/ experienced things here. So I don't doubt that we r a tough market. 

I do agree tho that 1 statement from 1 coach does not qualify the statement

But at the same time, 1 statement from 1 fan doesn't exonerate the fanbase either. 

As for the fanbase here in Van being tougher than the one in Toronto, people can hold their opinions and I take it for what it is. 

Green knows he has a gun to his head. JB have him all the tools he needs to make the playoffs so he has no excuse this year. The players know this as well.

The question is, do the Canuck players want to win and do they want to keep Green?

It’s up to them right now. I’m sure Green has no secrets or strategies left to teach his players. This is all about the will and the heart of each player on this team.

No playoffs = Green being fired (maybe even JB as well). 

2 hours ago, LowerMainLander18 said:

If we r all good, mannered fans, I would agree with u. I would be furious. 

But I'm part of the fanbase and I've seen/ experienced things here. So I don't doubt that we r a tough market. 

I do agree tho that 1 statement from 1 coach does not qualify the statement

But at the same time, 1 statement from 1 fan doesn't exonerate the fanbase either. 

As for the fanbase here in Van being tougher than the one in Toronto, people can hold their opinions and I take it for what it is. 

I was not trying to exonerate the entire fanbase sir I was trying to establish that 2 hosts on a show dont 

know didly about where Vancouver stands in terms of ranks of tough cities. Listen I think they are all 

nasty when the team is under performing and all wonderful when the team is winning. Look at the 

Rangers market now THAT is deadly. So im not sure anyone is qualified to say distinctly where any

market stands enough to assign ranks. Its VERY subjective so it boils down to opinion and we all know 

about opinions.

• Cheers 1

Interesting to hear his perspective.  Our team has beauty, and this is blossoming.  The challenge is that our fans have greater aspirations. They have extremely high expectations and want to win now.  Let's be realistic.  This team has potential and can do something.  But, we may get pushed around in a seven game series, and that concerns many fans.  Hopefully we can just get in.

5 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Dont be so quick to judge or you run the risk of sounding just as negative as the people wanting Green fired. I actually watched it and I feel like it bought him more time at the very least. It was refreshing to see that side of him.

I did not appreciate them saying Vancouver is the 2nd toughest market in Canada. How the hell does one even go about measuring something like that? Not saying we are angels but were do you come up with Montreal is the toughest market but Vancouver is definitely second, but certainly Toronto is not 2nd. How do you even measure something like this and come up with definitive rankings? Boggles the mind.

Who cares about the rankings. Vancouver is a tough market to play in and it affects the players and the coaches. Listen to what Kesler in Bieksa said about this in their podcast, one of the first episodes. They believe it is one of the reasons that no Candian team has won a cup recently. If your confidence is down and you're not playing well, the last thing that you need is an entire city crapping on you. Teams like the Blues, Capitals and other American markets do not have that pressure. They can just keep working and concentrate on their performance on the ice.

• Cheers 2