The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of the NHL.

Rate this topic

With the news of a new puck being announced it got me thinking what hockey might look like in another 20 or 30 years.  

I'm one of those fans that remember the broadstreet bullies and players like Gary Smith. 

So if your like me you notice the drastic changes in the game .....the puck, analytics, goalie equipment and the almost elimination of fighting etc 

So what can you speculate?

Robot coaches?  An app where you can disapprove of a particular player on your team.....if at any game 5000 fans hit the disapprove button of a particular player it stimulates his shock collar. (LE look out) Better play up to that contract or retire.  That app could generate alot of income. 

Two pucks going at the same time? Interesting.  

Players trained at both D and forward positions? 

Spring loaded blockers for the goalies where it rebounds the puck 30 ft

A device installed on CDC,ers phones that explodes if they start a dumb thread?

What are the possibilities .?  

Your thoughts. 

Edited by erkayloomeh

jet propelled skates

flaming while flying around the ice

laser guided puck shots

communication devices enabling direct communication with players

during games while they are on the ice

only available to the elite premium season ticket holders

be the player technology

where you can see and experience what a player does

again available to those in a certain price bracket season ticket holder

i'll think some more about other innovations

• Cheers 1

I suspect that analytics will become far more advanced with puck tracking. The all-star game skills comp will become a lot less interesting with the hardest shots being tracked in regular season games and top speeds probably also being tracked some day.

• Upvote 1

Female players will join the NHL (which will be all about speed and skill), bodychecking will be an illegal move (roughing), nets will be smaller and goalies (with super streamlined equipment) will be able to play the puck and act as a 6th skater. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

A device installed on CDC,ers phones that explodes if they start a dumb thread?

Can we start that one now?  ::D

My prediction:  Offsides, icing and the goal light all called by the electronic puck system.  Too many men called by the player tracking system.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Not sure how to break it to you but there are no longer officials in the NHL. There are only game managers now. 

managers sounds too directed or controlling, how about 'on-ice play facilitators'   

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Team doctors with lasers that will fix the players up and send them back out without missing a shift

50 years too late for Brock!

Oh, yeah and air bags on the boards that expand on illegal hits......

That's all I got! :goat:

10 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Can we start that one now?  ::D

My prediction:  Offsides, icing and the goal light all called by the electronic puck system.  Too many men called by the player tracking system.

Here is my idea

instead of water, a drink that replaces lost electrolytes and keeps you hydrated at the same time and tastes good. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, samurai said:

Here is my idea

instead of water, a drink that replaces lost electrolytes and keeps you hydrated at the same time and tastes good. 

That's one bold prediction.

Imagine if they could also use that beverage to dump over their coach's head in some sort of celebratory tradition?

1 minute ago, goalie13 said:

That's one bold prediction.

Imagine if they could also use that beverage to dump over their coach's head in some sort of celebratory tradition?

Sorry, I don't quite follow you.  Water yeah but cannot imagine dumping the drink I have in mind over a coach.  Strange idea nonetheless.   Nobody can see the future so who knows

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Female players will join the NHL (which will be all about speed and skill), bodychecking will be an illegal move (roughing), nets will be smaller and goalies (with super streamlined equipment) will be able to play the puck and act as a 6th skater. 

Female coaches and GM's? 

This is somewhat related - I'm a little confused about the rule change the NHL is contemplating with offsides, and considering that it could be onside if a player's second skate hasn't touched the ice yet (still in the air) when entering the zone.  I'm thinking that if they change that rule to allow for that flexibility, won't skaters entering the opposition end just come in on one skate, with the other still in the air, for a good 10-20 feet?

It'll be like flamingos entering the attacking zone. That's the future of the NHL.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Slegr said:

This is somewhat related - I'm a little confused about the rule change the NHL is contemplating with offsides, and considering that it could be onside if a player's second skate hasn't touched the ice yet (still in the air) when entering the zone.  I'm thinking that if they change that rule to allow for that flexibility, won't skaters entering the opposition end just come in on one skate, with the other still in the air, for a good 10-20 feet?

It'll be like flamingos entering the attacking zone. That's the future of the NHL.

Crossing the blue-line be like:

rs61624-044a4052lpr.thumb.jpg.3d91db6f88e700227453beb13c958a4b.jpg

• Haha 2

I assume in 30 years fans will still be complaining about everything....refs suck, league's a joke, why do we need 48 teams, everything's rigged, yada yada yada

Heck, in 30 years, I'll be willing to bet that some youngsters of the day will even refer to the Bettman era as the "good ol' days" of hockey.

8 hours ago, Slegr said:

Willy nylander approves