The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Panthers set to retire Luongo's No. 1

Rate this topic

Rubik

https://www.nhl.com/news/roberto-luongo-honored-to-have-jersey-number-retired-by-florida/c-315935700

Luongo honored to have number retired by Panthers

Montreal native's No. 1 will be raised to rafters at BB&T Center before game against Canadiens

by Alain Poupart / NHL.com Independent Correspondent

March 6, 2020

SUNRISE, Fla. -- Roberto Luongo is No. 1 for the Florida Panthers in more ways than one.

When Luongo's No. 1 is retired by the Panthers before their game against the Montreal Canadiens at BB&T Center on Saturday (7 p.m. ET; CBC, SN, SN360, TVAS, FS-F, NHL.TV), he will become the first player in team history to receive that honor.

Luongo, who retired on June 26 after 20 NHL seasons, including 11 with the Panthers, is Florida's all-time leader in games played by a goalie (572), wins (230), shutouts (38) and saves (16,086). He represented Florida at the NHL All-Star Game three times (2004, 2015, 2016).

He also holds Panthers single-season records for wins (35, 2005-06, 2015-16), saves (2,303) and shutouts (tied-seven, 2003-04).

"It's great," said Luongo, who works as a special adviser to Panthers general manager Dale Tallon. "First player [to have his number retired] makes it extra special for me. I'm really honored that they made me the first player. Grateful for that. Florida is a special place for me. It's my home. It's where I'm going to be living for the rest of my life. To always have that here is going to be something that I cherish."

Luongo played his first NHL season with the New York Islanders in 1999-2000 after New York selected him No. 4 in the 1997 NHL Draft, then was traded to the Panthers with forward Olli Jokinen for forwards Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha on June 24, 2000.

He played five seasons for Florida before he was traded to the Vancouver Canucks with defenseman Lukas Krajicek and Florida's sixth-round pick in the 2006 NHL Draft for forward Todd Bertuzzi, defenseman Bryan Allen and goalie Alex Auld on June 23, 2006. He was traded back to Florida with forward Steven Anthony for goalie Jacob Markstrom and forward Shawn Matthias on March 4, 2014.

Luongo was 489-392-91 with 33 ties in 1,044 NHL games. He is second in NHL history in games played by a goalie, third in wins (489), ninth in shutouts (77), and is one of three goalies in NHL history to have played 1,000 games.

cut.jpg

The Montreal native said the significance of the honor started to sink in when he attended the ceremony to retire to the numbers of former Canucks teammates Henrik Sedin and Daniel Sedin on Feb. 12.

"It's not something you think about when you're a kid," he said. "You just want to play in the NHL and try to win a Stanley Cup. Almost feel like it really hasn't hit me yet. I think when I was at the Sedin retirement a few weeks ago, it kind of got real for me a little bit and I started having some butterflies. I think until I see that number up there it's not going to feel real."

The Panthers have retired two numbers: No. 93 in 2010 in honor of longtime executive Bill Torrey to recognize the team's first season in the NHL (1993-94), and No. 37 in 2018 in honor of original owner Wayne Huizenga, who was born in 1937.

"A true professional, competitor and gentleman, Roberto set the standard for players in this organization," Tallon said. "There was never a question in any of our minds that Roberto would be the first Panthers player to have his number retired by the franchise. One of the game's most iconic goaltenders, he gave his heart and soul to the Panthers and the South Florida community and carried himself with dignity, modesty and humor. Roberto is most deserving of this honor and we are thrilled for him and his family."

As part of the celebration, the Panthers will warm up in No. 1 Luongo jerseys and will wear special Luongo helmet decals for the game.

Several family members are flying in from Montreal for the ceremony.

With his No. 1 in the rafters, Luongo will return to his role as special adviser. He was hired by the Panthers on Nov. 13, less than four months after announcing his retirement on June 26.

"I love it so far," Luongo said. "Everything about it. It's like a big puzzle that you're trying to put together and make the best decisions possible for the hockey club. Obviously I'm learning right now, learning the ropes. Being in the day-to-day process is something that I really enjoy doing, and (I'm) looking forward to obviously having a bigger role in the years to come."

Edited by Rubik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Caboose said:

2nd in games

2nd in saves

1st in wins

1st in shutouts

Does Vancouver give him the same honour in this case?

nope, his heart is clearly in Florida. He was good for us, but all things considered things are good how they are. 

• Cheers 2

He could become a Hall of Famer.  If Vancouver does retire his number that would be quite the accomplishment, to have 2 teams retire your number plus be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.  Other than Gretzky who's number is retired league wide is there any other player who's number is retired by two different teams and is also in the Hall of Fame?  Off the top of my head I think Patrick Roy and Mark Messier.  There is probably more...

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He could become a Hall of Famer.  If Vancouver does retire his number that would be quite the accomplishment, to have 2 teams retire your number plus be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.  Other than Gretzky who's number is retired league wide is there any other player who's number is retired by two different teams and is also in the Hall of Fame?  Off the top of my head I think Patrick Roy and Mark Messier.  There is probably more...

Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Ray Bourque

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

A little insulted that they aren't retiring Luo's number when the Canucks are in town but I understand wanting to get it done this year.

I still believe Luo's number will be retired in Vancouver but it'll happen in a year or two after his number is lifted up into the stands of Florida.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

to have 2 teams retire your number plus be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

That's quite an honour for a player who's never won a Cup

I think VAN should win one of those before they even consider retiring anymore numbers

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's quite an honour for a player who's never won a Cup

I think VAN should win one of those before they even consider retiring anymore numbers

Yeah if he had won that Cup in 2011 and maybe another one with that great Canucks team he would be a slam dunk for the Hall of Fame and also getting his number retired by Vancouver.  I still think he gets into the HOF with 489 wins, but not sure the Canucks will retire his number, especially now that Florida did.

Well first of all that banners only going to hang for another few years and it will be in a dumpster somewhere with entire Florida Panthers organization  (I'm looking at you dale tallon) 

Luongo owes this city and the fans, not the other way around.

No he does not deserve to have his number retired anywhere except in the QMJHL.

• Wat 1