The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: If you HAD to move Podkolzin....

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Podkolzin will be here to start the 2021/22 season. If they sign Toffoli, they will have these forwards:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Toffoli

Pearson - Gaudette - Virtanen

Ferland - MacEwen - Lind

Podkolzin

Lockwood

And this is assuming Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Motte and Roussel are gone. Something's gotta give.

That is some crazy forward depth.

C: Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, MacEwen

RW: Boeser, Toffoli, Virtanen, Lind

LW: Miller, Pearson, Hoglander, Podkolzin

I assumed Ferland isn't coming back; unfortunately, it appears that he has a long road ahead of him to recovering.

I wonder if we will have the cap to fit all these guys though. If we can, then with that forward depth, your goaltending and defence has to be atrocious for you to not win a cup.

2 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

You’re not getting a top 4 dman for spare parts.  We have 3 legitimate options to solidify the back end (I think): Podkolzin, Boeser or Virtanen.  I’d really hate to move any of them but we do have a strong forward group.....

u can draft dmen we have tryamkin that we got in third round and rafferty that was a free ncaa signing and woo a second rounder and juolevi coming up. you can sign more college d and  draft more dmen. podz virtanen boeser horvat gaud petey hughes hoglander are going nowhere  and its likely toffoli and pearson are going nowhere as well

2 hours ago, Pears said:

I’m with @Where's Wellwood. A young bonafide top 4 defenseman or forget about it. Podkolzin is gonna add another dimension to this team when he comes over, so the only way I’d even consider moving him is if we get someone who would make a similar impact. 

And which of those guys would get someone better than what we currently have?

pearson 

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

u can draft dmen we have tryamkin that we got in third round and rafferty that was a free ncaa signing and woo a second rounder and juolevi coming up. you can sign more college d and  draft more dmen. podz virtanen boeser horvat gaud petey hughes hoglander are going nowhere  and its likely toffoli and pearson are going nowhere as well

I always say we need to be more into the free agent ncaa pool. The talent these days and entry level contracts without draft picks used is a plus

• Thanks 1

Not overly concerned with the D either. For the 2021/22 season:

Edler - Myers (I can see them re-signing Edler)

Hughes - Tanev

Tryamkin - Rafferty

Brisebois

Juolevi

Rathbone

Woo

Utunen

Maybe Stecher, Benn and Fantenberg are gone by then.

if were able to re-sign Toffoli, I dont really see the need right now of moving Boeser. Boeser current contract runs out the same time as the Luongo recapture penalty and combining those two current cap hit is just shy of 9M.

On Podkolzin, my feeling is he will start on LW due to the lack of depth on that wing, the fact that he is a left shot. Also he most likely takes Pearson spot since I dont think we can keep him while having to pay both Hughes and Pettersson in the same off season

35 minutes ago, khay said:

That is some crazy forward depth.

C: Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, MacEwen

RW: Boeser, Toffoli, Virtanen, Lind

LW: Miller, Pearson, Hoglander, Podkolzin

I assumed Ferland isn't coming back; unfortunately, it appears that he has a long road ahead of him to recovering.

I wonder if we will have the cap to fit all these guys though. If we can, then with that forward depth, your goaltending and defence has to be atrocious for you to not win a cup.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Dahlin, Makar, Josi, the list can go on forever.....

I'd rather see what Poldkozin brings before anything. Buy out / trade bad contracts, let them run out and resign else where..... we need to start worrying about our cap if we plan to be contenders for a long time. The way I see it is with our young core team we have a window of 13 to 18 years to win as many cups as possible. The best thing for us would be signing Petey + Hughes long term around the 8 to 10 mill mark and hoping the new tv deal gives us a lot more space in the future to come.

It’s ridiculous to suggest that Podkolzin could return any of those guys. Would you trade Hughes for Zegras? 

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

While I’m all for drafting well... and I’m still high on some of our prospects (especially OJ), our forward core is playoff ready even without one of our top six guys - and I really hate the idea of moving one of the three that I’ve previously mentioned - but I think our d-core is our weak spot.  

I would absolutely love if someone stepped in and solidified the top 4 BUT our window is opening over the next 1-2 years.... will one of those prospects be ready to fill a top 4 role - and do so well - in that timeline?  If I were to guess I’d say OJ might but leveraging our forward depth could help us not have to lean to heavily on ‘mights’. 

27 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I was hopeful until his most recent attempt to come back... but he had to take himself out of the very first game that he played for Utica. 

I hope for Ferland's sake that he doesn't work out too hard this year and maybe sit out even (most of) next season.

Crosby took a while. Willie Mitchell also needed quite a bit of time. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Or Virtanen...Who plays a far more similar game to Podkolzin (ie: Podz is more likely to replace what he brings to the lineup in a couple years, on a cheap, ELC contract vs what Boeser brings).

Virtanen would be on a much cheaper contract.  Boeser needs to be qualified at $7.5 million the same summer we need to re-sign Petey and Quinn.  So cap management will play a key role.  I see Podkolzin as a top 6 forward playing with Horvat.  Virtanen will most likely be on the 3rd line...

47 minutes ago, Foo202 said:

if were able to re-sign Toffoli, I dont really see the need right now of moving Boeser. Boeser current contract runs out the same time as the Luongo recapture penalty and combining those two current cap hit is just shy of 9M.

On Podkolzin, my feeling is he will start on LW due to the lack of depth on that wing, the fact that he is a left shot. Also he most likely takes Pearson spot since I dont think we can keep him while having to pay both Hughes and Pettersson in the same off season

Only reason to trade Boeser is whether JB can predict Brock's potential. So far, his play worries me this year. He went from being a play finisher to a play contributor.. he skipped past play maker on the downward. I think right now he has good value and a good contract. IMHO I don't think Boeser is the big star we project him to be. Nothing against the guy, just see something missing. If you can trade him while he is high on other teams list, it might be a good move.

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Oh good, I always love a good "How much does CDC overvalue our players" Proposal.

Especially when our player is an unproven Russian fella! Yeah, sorry guys, he isn't worth as much as you think......yet

A.)  (I think I've said this before but....) Nice Ram....Alaska or did you get the rare BC Dall?

B.)  I think a good value comparison might be Noah Dobson but it's hard to say.

5 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

A.)  (I think I've said this before but....) Nice Ram....Alaska or did you get the rare BC Dall?

B.)  I think a good value comparison might be Noah Dobson but it's hard to say.

Probably the most realistic suggestion of comparable value on the thread.  People suggesting established young stars are out to lunch.