The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: If you HAD to move Podkolzin....

for help on defence who would you target?  

Think there could be something to - again of course, if you’re being forced - work out around players like Provorov (would the Flyers even consider moving him?) or maybe Dobson?  

Our forward group is pretty strong, IF we could get a solid return on the back end it might be something to think about......

Edited by J-Dizzle

11 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Think there could be something to - again of course, if you’re being forced - work out around players like Provorov (would the Flyers even consider moving him?) or maybe Dobson?  

Our forward group is pretty strong, IF we could get a solid return on the back end it might be something to think about......

hes un touchable as is hoglander  we can draft dmen  if anyones getting traded for a dman it would be sutter, beagle,  eriksson, leivo, roussel and lastly pearson. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m with @Where's Wellwood. A young bonafide top 4 defenseman or forget about it. Podkolzin is gonna add another dimension to this team when he comes over, so the only way I’d even consider moving him is if we get someone who would make a similar impact. 

2 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

hes un touchable as is hoglander  we can draft dmen  if anyones getting traded for a dman it would be sutter, beagle,  eriksson, leivo, roussel and lastly pearson. 

And which of those guys would get someone better than what we currently have?

15 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

if anyones getting traded for a dman it would be sutter, beagle,  eriksson, leivo, roussel and lastly pearson. 

The only d-men you’re going to get for Eriksson is Lester Patrick who passed away some 50 years ago.:lol:  Pearson is the ONLY guy on that list that will get you anyone that will be better than our 3rd pairing guys.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

You’re not getting a top 4 dman for spare parts.  We have 3 legitimate options to solidify the back end (I think): Podkolzin, Boeser or Virtanen.  I’d really hate to move any of them but we do have a strong forward group.....

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd rather trade Boeser for a Dman than Podkolzin.  Podkolzin is a stud and made for the NHL and playoff hockey.  And we need a buddy for Tryamkin when he comes back.  The two big Russians will help us to win the Stanley Cup...

I hear what you’re saying BUT, Boeser has really impressed me this year.... again though, that’s probably the type of player you’re going to have to move to grab a top four d.... it’s gonna hurt if we were to do it lol. 

• Wat 1

49 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Mikhail Sergachev

• Like 2

I really want to see what we have in Tryamkin, Rafferty, Juolevi and Rathbone

No more of this just signing everything in sight, and hoping someone one will rise above the rest...…..

We are 2 years early, but by the end, we will arrive at the same time, at the top.....

If you really want to move Boeser, wait and find out what we have first...………….

If you look at out Defense, it is our own home grown talent, which are our best.....aka Edler, Tanev, Hughes, Stecher

Myers, Benn, Fantenberg, etc have all been what they were before they came

• Cheers 2

53 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

I hear what you’re saying BUT, Boeser has really impressed me this year.... again though, that’s probably the type of player you’re going to have to move to grab a top four d.... it’s gonna hurt if we were to do it lol. 

IF Toffoli gets re-signed then one of Boeser or Podkolzin will need to be moved.  It's a great problem to have but Toffoli is lights out with Miller and Petey so you'd have to think that Boeser would be the odd man out, especially considering Podkolzin would be on an ELC for 3 years while Boeser will be looking to get paid big dollars in 2 years, so you have to think about the cap implications as well.  We could get a top 4 Dman if we move Boeser, so that is the logical move.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

IF Toffoli gets re-signed then one of Boeser or Podkolzin will need to be moved.  It's a great problem to have but Toffoli is lights out with Miller and Petey so you'd have to think that Boeser would be the odd man out, especially considering Podkolzin would be on an ELC for 3 years while Boeser will be looking to get paid big dollars in 2 years, so you have to think about the cap implications as well.  We could get a top 4 Dman if we move Boeser, so that is the logical move.  

As said above, I think it is too early to be moving Boeser and I am still an advocate of signing Toffoli, so long term, we will have a log jam, but we need to establish some things first, so we don't actually create the same thing in another position...…...aka...at this moment our RHD looks weak, but "IF" Tryamkin or Rafferty or both comes in and plays lights out, it will change the depth on our RHD.....not to mention Woo, who will be coming in 2 or 3 years later.

The same can be said for the LHD, where "IF" Tryamkin was played there, which I don't think will happen, but if it did, we would have Hughes, Tryamkin, Juolevi and Rathbone, all competing for the same jobs...…….So, until our Defense is figured out in a year, then I think it is premature to be moving Boeser for a Defenseman. But I could see that our RW will be full down the line...…..Toffoli, Boeser, Podkolzin, Virtanen, McEwen and Lind...…...seems like a nice problem to have for now!...

I think we are a year away from making that decision. Maybe at next years TDL things happen, but Benning needs to know a few things before he makes any moves.....like is Tryamkin really coming? Is Rathbone signing with us?. They probably are, but one thing at a time...………….

It is funny that a year earlier, I thought we absolutely had the need for more RHD, but now, it may be LW.....Bennings drafting has really made some good problems....I don't mind suffering at all...……….people just need to be patient.....so does Benning and Aqualini.....

Dahlin, Makar, Josi, the list can go on forever.....

I'd rather see what Poldkozin brings before anything. Buy out / trade bad contracts, let them run out and resign else where..... we need to start worrying about our cap if we plan to be contenders for a long time. The way I see it is with our young core team we have a window of 13 to 18 years to win as many cups as possible. The best thing for us would be signing Petey + Hughes long term around the 8 to 10 mill mark and hoping the new tv deal gives us a lot more space in the future to come.

Boeser's contract will potentially be a problem to re-up depending on how the young wingers pan out to be able to utilize their ELC's.  It was structured to get him at a lower dollar amount now.  They need to qualify him at a minimum of $7.5 Million.  The same year they need to pay QH and EP.  By then at least they will they will now what they have in Podkolzin, Lind, Hoglander etc.  If they can re-sign Toffoli they may need to deal Boeser to get that top 4 D they really need.  I love Stecher and all but it is really showing they need an upgrade in the top 4 especially on the Right side.

image.thumb.png.6d064255e84ef1f17b0a8c995a1e8d71.png

44 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

IF Toffoli gets re-signed then one of Boeser or Podkolzin will need to be moved.  

Or Virtanen...Who plays a far more similar game to Podkolzin (ie: Podz is more likely to replace what he brings to the lineup in a couple years, on a cheap, ELC contract vs what Boeser brings).

Podkolzin will be here to start the 2021/22 season. If they sign Toffoli, they will have these forwards:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Toffoli

Pearson - Gaudette - Virtanen

Ferland - MacEwen - Lind

Podkolzin

Lockwood

And this is assuming Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Motte and Roussel are gone. Something's gotta give.