The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #29

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #29  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #29 Canuck of All-Time?

• P. Sundstrom
    • G. Adams
    • B. Horvat
    • P. Skriko
    • G. Odjick
    • D. Babych
    • G. Courtnall
    • C. Tanev
    • G. Butcher
    • O. Kurtenbach

This poll is closed to new votes

Jovocop gets in as the 28th Greatest Canuck without too much competition, though both Sundstrom and Adams saw noteworthy spikes in support last round.

Kurtenbach and Hansen tied with seven nominations each. The random number generator was used again and this time, Kurtenbach came out on top, so he was added as a voting option.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

#25 - C. Ronning

#26 - D. Lever

#27 - D. Kearns

#28 - E. Jovanovski

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

I'm voting for Patrik Sundstrom again. He should have a good chance of getting in this time.

Nominating Darcy Rota. He's finally starting to get some support in the nominations, which is good to see.

I have Hansen and Kurtenbach very close together, but I actually have Hansen a few spots ahead of our first captain. Still, I wouldn't have him on the list of options before a lot of other guys like Rota, Ververgaert, McCarthy, and Smith.

• Cheers 2

Vote Sundstrom.  Nominate Tiger Williams.

Congratulations Orland.  At least that's one of the old dogs that needs to be on the ballot.  Tiger, Rota, Gary Smith, Ververgaert, Chris Oddleifson, Kevin McCarthy hang in there we're coming for you...

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Voting Sundstrom and nominating Hansen again

I'm actually a bit discouraged at this point because it feels like I've been pushing him forever, but I'll keep posting this til he's at least a voting option

Hansen is 20th in games played amongst Canucks, ahead of a few guys who've made it in

He's also 32nd in total points amongst Canucks, impressive given he played mostly a bottom 6/top 9 role 

He was one of the few players we've had over the last decade that you could count on to give his all game in and game out, he didn't take games off

Seriously, Burrows gets a lot of love but Hansen was right there with him as a heart and soul player 

Don't sleep on the honey badger!

image.png.9ee2fb03fb9e051ae3fb5bb97130157a.png

image.thumb.png.6d37f8abe8efbd8e18c939f20b6fea0a.png

GIF: Jannik Hansen trolls Dion Phaneuf for turtling – Canucksarmy

AffectionateFabulousCicada-size_restrict

Vancouver canucks raffi torres jannik hansen GIF - Find on GIFER

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Voting Sundstrom and nominating Hansen again

I'm actually a bit discouraged at this point because it feels like I've been pushing him forever, but I'll keep posting this til he's at least a voting option

Hansen is 20th in games played amongst Canucks, ahead of a few guys who've made it in

He's also 32nd in total points amongst Canucks, impressive given he played mostly a bottom 6/top 9 role 

He was one of the few players we've had over the last decade that you could count on to give his all game in and game out, he didn't take games off

Seriously, Burrows gets a lot of love but Hansen was right there with him as a heart and soul player 

Don't sleep on the honey badger!

image.png.9ee2fb03fb9e051ae3fb5bb97130157a.png

image.thumb.png.6d37f8abe8efbd8e18c939f20b6fea0a.png

GIF: Jannik Hansen trolls Dion Phaneuf for turtling – Canucksarmy

AffectionateFabulousCicada-size_restrict

Vancouver canucks raffi torres jannik hansen GIF - Find on GIFER

Don't get discouraged.

After the decades of Canucks hockey I've seen, I can't make myself rank him quite as highly as you do.  But I respect your passion for his body of work and your support for him, and he is in my top 50.  It's still quite early to me but the time is coming not all that far down the road where I would nominate him myself.

He definitely has longevity and being a loyal soldier on his side, and a Stanley Cup Final.  But the 1982 and 1994 teams had their Jannik Hansens as well:  probably Lars Molin / Ivan Hlinka / Gary Lupul in 1982, and Sergio Momesso / Murray Craven / Martin Gelinas in 1994.  And none of those six guys have had their names come up...including even by me, which means I am giving Hansen more credit for his long and faithful service than any of his rough counterparts on championship caliber teams.  Including Gelinas who was actually Canucks MVP one year, and Ivan Hlinka who held our rookie scoring record and is a bona fide international legend.

So, that's just to say that though I haven't nominated Hansen yet, I am giving him a lot of credit.

I have little interest in making arguments against Hansen, but I can always make cases for the other players I have in the rankings.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 3

Voted Kurtenbach and nominating Gary Smith.  You gotta remember that players like this actually carried the Canucks for periods of time in the early years.  Some of the players being voted in now were good to very good, but would never be seen to have carried the team at any point.

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
wording
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Voted Kurtenbach and nominating Gary Smith.  You gotta remember that players like this actually carried the Canucks for periods of time in the early years.  Some of the players being voted in now were good to very good, but would never be seen to having carried the team at any point.

I'm almost at Gary myself.  I don't know if people go to the games and actually look up at the rafters and what's hanging there.  But there is a 1974-75 division championship banner that was the only thing the team had to hang at all for its first 12 years.  And it is there almost entirely because of Gary Smith, who was 3rd for goalie of the year and 6th for Hart Trophy voting that season.  And that's with a much heavier eastern bias in the voting back then.

• Thanks 1