The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Games In Empty Arena's, Would You Buy Pay per View?

Rate this topic

Lazurus

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I’d watch games all summer if I could - can still do those others things too - even at the same time ha ha.  Really if it came down to it I’d support hockey with some pay per view games if things get bad and that’s what they need to do to keep things going.  Sure these guys get paid which a lot of people don’t make in a lifetime in one year - that said owners can’t soak it up forever - and the players would be willing to work for peanuts compared to their normal salaries too I’d bet - better for them then trying to find a job in the markets to come...don’t see it that much different then supporting local business - the exchange is well worth the entertainment value right now. 

Lots of valid points but if the suns out the guns are out.... no tv

9 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

The problem is that everyone is so used to getting games for free (or somewhat free with the sports package)

Free?  You haven't seen my cable bill.  ::D

Rogers paid $5.2B for the rights to NHL games.  TSN has a couple of regional deals.  Out of market games are on NHL Live / Centre Ice.  There are no NHL games that aren't spoken for to support the OP's weird desire to spend more money to watch hockey.

Just now, goalie13 said:

Free?  You haven't seen my cable bill.  ::D

Rogers paid $5.2B for the rights to NHL games.  TSN has a couple of regional deals.  Out of market games are on NHL Live / Centre Ice.  There are no NHL games that aren't spoken for to support the OP's weird desire to spend more money to watch hockey.

I know.  Lucky I'm getting a special one year optik service free but it only includes the essentials.  Had to pay extra for TSN and Sportsnet.  Not sure how they are going to do this.  They probably got their marketing teams thinking about how to maximize the total revenues out of this.  The escrow will be huge.  

7 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I know.  Lucky I'm getting a special one year optik service free but it only includes the essentials.  Had to pay extra for TSN and Sportsnet.  Not sure how they are going to do this.  They probably got their marketing teams thinking about how to maximize the total revenues out of this.  The escrow will be huge.  

That's one thing I haven't heard much about.  What happens to those deals in the event of a hockey stoppage?  Do the networks get refunds on missed games?  Do they get an automatic pro-rated extension?  I know they are missing out on gate / popcorn / parking / beer revenue, but I wonder if they have to give back some of the TV money too?

31 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

The problem is that everyone is so used to getting games for free (or somewhat free with the sports package)

Problem?  What problem?  
And free?    20+$ a month for SNnow

or 60-100$ a month for cable with sports packages.  

NHL gets paid HUGE $$$ from TV deals.  

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Problem?  What problem?  
And free?    20+$ a month for SNnow

or 60-100$ a month for cable with sports packages.  

NHL gets paid HUGE $$$ from TV deals.  

I did clarify my remark with "Somewhat" free after paying for the sports package.  Unless you are using an antenna, TV isn't truly free.  There was a time when all we had was HNIC and a smattering of games on BCTV.  Now every game is televised.  The marketing geniuses figured we were paying for cable anyways, so TSN and Sportsnet were added as package options.  Its all about perceptions.  The perception of PPV for each game is very much different than an add on to your existing cable package to access all sports like Football, Basketball etc..

5 hours ago, goalie13 said:

All the major sports leagues already have TV deals.  There will not be any PPV.

This poster speaks truth. The broadcast rights are already owned, in Canada, by Sportsnet, who "sub-leases" Saturday nights to CBC, and a couple of regional deals with TSN. The NHL can't re-sell the rights they've already sold. Rogers paid huge dollars to land the broadcast rights.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The NHL entered into a binding agreement with Rogers Sportsnet for broadcast rights in Canada.

I subsequently entered into an agreement with my cable provider based on this existing agreement. 

NO WAY would I pay extra for PPV - in fact I would be asking my cable provider for a significant discount off my monthly bill if they did go this route. 

Not to mention the last time Sportsnet tried to broadcast Canucks games on PPV many years ago I distinctly remember it was a complete disaster in every respect. 

8 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

No.

I am a hardcore NHL fan. I can even watch Detroit vs Ottawa.

There's zero chance I am watching hockey after June 15th regardless of who is playing so heck no I ain't paying.

Summer is dedicated to the lake, setting suns, bbqs etc. My tv doesn't even turn on until Oct.1.

I'm right with you there...  my watching season is done.  I already disliked the fact that the playoff games were running into the summer.  No way I'm tuning in for August and September games. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm right with you there...  my watching season is done.  I already disliked the fact that the playoff games were running into the summer.  No way I'm tuning in for August and September games. 

Yea man like I just can't stomach it....."quick put down your fly rod and let's get inside to watch the game"...said no one in mid August.

I watch ZERO summer Olympics....let's leave the boat and watch track and field....no.

I LOVE winter hockey....good stew, cold day, dark, scotch. Let's rock n roll.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Like 1

Although I don’t think it would happen if push came to shove yes I’d pay, with a cool head I’d say $100 tops for all the playoffs but if the Canucks were in and it came down to the crunch I’d probably, unhappily cough up even more.