The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] NHL Return To Play Thread (24 team play off, 15 team draft lottery)

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So... Of players tested in phase 2, we have about a 6% infection rate. This is WAY too high. If these players actually practiced with up to 6 teammates as per protocol, that looks like a really easy way to take up to 6 players out of a team for a couple weeks.

I don't know the extent of their measures, but there is just too much that can go wrong imo. Plus factor in the possibility of some players refusing to play?

This is all messed already.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, kloubek said:

So... Of players tested in phase 2, we have about a 6% infection rate. This is WAY too high. If these players actually practiced with up to 6 teammates as per protocol, that looks like a really easy way to take up to 6 players out of a team for a couple weeks.

I don't know the extent of their measures, but there is just too much that can go wrong imo. Plus factor in the possibility of some players refusing to play?

This is all messed already.

Players are tested 48 hours before being allowed into a team's training facilities - they can only join if their test is negative.  

This return to play hinges on players following protocol and not putting themselves at risk away from the rink.  According to Burnside several executives expressed concern privately about players being responsible throughout the return to play. 

The league recommended everyone to self-isolate when the season got suspended.  Players testing positive show that they haven't been keeping safe.  Some of those testing positive in phase 2 were asymptomatic or had just a light fever.  Had they not entered phase 2 they might have unknowingly continued putting others in the public at risk.

There's going to be continuous testing, but teams have no control over what players do outside of the practice facilities and whether they or their social circle are observing self-distancing measures.  They'll have more control once players enter the bubble of phase 4.  

There have been only some 250 players tested to date on the 750 or so that should attend training camp.   Phase 2 started on 8 June.  Many players made their own arrangements rather than join phase 2.  Phase 2 is so much more restrictive and there is mandatory regular testing.   

Vancouver just put up ice this week because there was limited interest to join phase 2 with most players not even in town and content with their own arrangements.  Canucks are apparently now encouraging players to join phase 2 and get a head start on testing.

There's likely going to be even more positive tests as players start to join phase 2 with the European based players also making their way back.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 3

Just let them play! Those are pro athletes, they are not affected at all by some virus..

I want to know how many of those positively tested players even have symptoms???

Look at the Charles de Gaulle (a French aircraft carrier) 1046 confirmed cases, ZERO

deaths!!! Those are soldiers so they are probably well trained (strong immune system) 

like NHL players. Difference is Soldiers can be 60+ years old while the NHL has almost

no players over 40 (is Jagr still playing :D ). I would be extremely surprised if any infected

NHL player would even need to go to hospital..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_on_Charles_de_Gaulle

Every year there is the flu season and numerous players on all teams play sick,

this is the reality. And no one cared at all! Not even a rule like "don't play when you're sick" 

like us normal people "don't go to work when you're sick".

The players were not scared to get sick from a teammate or opposing teams during a game.

They were not scared to spread it to family members and eventually to some old and/or weak

people who then may die from it. Whats happening now is pure insanity!

Stop testing and let them play asap! Isolate them from the rest of the world (which is part

of the plan already anyway) if you are scared they may spread it to the risk group. Then

just let them play and you will see nothing will happen, no one will miss a game due to

sickness and at the end of the playoffs we test them for antibodies and either it didn't 

spread or at least the NHL has a herd immunity and therefore doesn't need to be isolated

anymore..

Here is a chronological list with all studies and information about Corona available in 23

languages and all linked to the original articles. If you are still scared of the virus or if you

are questioning the official narrative and are sick of masks and lockdowns, then have a look.

If you want hockey back asap, then have a look. If you want fans back in the stadiums, have

a look. If you want your life back, have a look. If you want your job back, have a look.

Also before you start bashing me as a murderer or whatever, have a look, please:

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

There is no way to skip death but we are on the way to skip life..

• Wat 3

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

From what I’ve read, after recovering from Covid-19 it can leave behind permanent scarring on the lungs, which can effectively age your lungs by 20 years. I’m thinking that’s not in the best interests of a pro athlete. Especially in a high endurance sport like Hockey. 

It would be awesome if you could provide a link.. I remember hearing that too. But first: I have never heard about it again

and especially haven't heard that it's proven, which we definitively would have heard. And secondly as far as I remember it

was a veterinary doctor who made this assumption by looking at xray pictures.. So I don't think he is competent.. 

probably the reason I haven't heard about it ever again.

But this is exactly one of the problems we are facing: Media puts out horror news like "millions will die" or "corona may cause

your lungs to age 20 years" And this is what stays in our minds. It also doesn't really get corrected by the media or how often 

did you hear that they say now "yeah sorry millions of dead was super unrealistic but we locked down anyway" 

12 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

It would be awesome if you could provide a link.. I remember hearing that too. But first: I have never heard about it again

and especially haven't heard that it's proven, which we definitively would have heard. And secondly as far as I remember it

was a veterinary doctor who made this assumption by looking at xray pictures.. So I don't think he is competent.. 

But this is exactly one of the problems we are facing: Media puts out horror news like "millions will die" or "corona may cause

your lungs to age 20 years" And this is what stays in our minds. It also doesn't really get corrected by the media or how often 

did you hear that they say now "yeah sorry millions of dead was super unrealistic but we locked down anyway" 

I don’t have the link. I read it earlier this spring when this was all coming to light. Anyway, I don’t want to make this another Coronavirus thread. Let’s focus on the NHL Return To Play and keep the debating about Covid-19 itself inside the Coronavirus thread. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I don’t have the link. I read it earlier this spring when this was all coming to light. Anyway, I don’t want to make this another Coronavirus thread. Let’s focus on the NHL Return To Play and keep the debating about Covid-19 itself inside the Coronavirus thread. 

I think we heard the same thing then. Agree on going back to hockey talk!

But so far it's mostly blaming players for being "stupid" and" careless" or that they

will "f*** up" this great hygiene concept. We should stop that, who is really following

all the rules??? No one! So don't blame 20-40 year old athletes if they meet a friend

or something.. It's like one of my best friends, she is having tinder dates all the time 

and doesn't follow any of the rules but then she tells me to wear a mask in the subway..

Last thing about the lungs that age 20 years.. I would recommend everyone to check that 

again because for me this makes a HUUUUGE difference.. If it is not true then I don't care

about the virus at all, if it would be true I might get a full protective suit like the people in

high security virus laboratories :D As long as people are scared there won't be too much

hockey talk..

We will beat Minnesota in 5 games, its gonna be a pretty tight series with 2 or 3 games 

going to OT. The crowd will go crazy!

7 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

No one!

Don't speak for me, thanks.

8 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

As long as people are scared there won't be too much

hockey talk..

So, you want people not to be scared, because that is ruining hockey talk?  Priorities are different for different people.

Despite me posting, this really should be in the Corona thread, where there are multiple links to the  cooked lungs and organs stories. I also added one today about the hallucinations and delirium that can be caused by this virus.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Don't speak for me, thanks.

So, you want people not to be scared, because that is ruining hockey talk?  Priorities are different for different people.

Despite me posting, this really should be in the Corona thread, where there are multiple links to the  cooked lungs and organs stories. I also added one today about the hallucinations and delirium that can be caused by this virus.

Ok Im sure you never broke any rule, sorry. I should have said "almost no one" to be politically correct as we don't have other problems.

Yeah thats exactly what I am saying! Hockey is more important than life! You are awesome in getting the context!

Then all of this thread should be in the corona thread, my original post was about how I want the season to continue,

and look at the thread name.. seems to fit in here. So much "can" be caused by it yeah yeah we should never leave

our homes again..until.. until there is no more food and we all die (at least without the virus although starvation may also

cause hallucinations)

1 hour ago, Nathancanuck said:

Just let them play! Those are pro athletes, they are not affected at all by some virus..

I want to know how many of those positively tested players even have symptoms???

Look at the Charles de Gaulle (a French aircraft carrier) 1046 confirmed cases, ZERO

deaths!!! Those are soldiers so they are probably well trained (strong immune system) 

like NHL players. Difference is Soldiers can be 60+ years old while the NHL has almost

no players over 40 (is Jagr still playing :D ). I would be extremely surprised if any infected

NHL player would even need to go to hospital..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_on_Charles_de_Gaulle

Every year there is the flu season and numerous players on all teams play sick,

this is the reality. And no one cared at all! Not even a rule like "don't play when you're sick" 

like us normal people "don't go to work when you're sick".

The players were not scared to get sick from a teammate or opposing teams during a game.

They were not scared to spread it to family members and eventually to some old and/or weak

people who then may die from it. Whats happening now is pure insanity!

Stop testing and let them play asap! Isolate them from the rest of the world (which is part

of the plan already anyway) if you are scared they may spread it to the risk group. Then

just let them play and you will see nothing will happen, no one will miss a game due to

sickness and at the end of the playoffs we test them for antibodies and either it didn't 

spread or at least the NHL has a herd immunity and therefore doesn't need to be isolated

anymore..

Here is a chronological list with all studies and information about Corona available in 23

languages and all linked to the original articles. If you are still scared of the virus or if you

are questioning the official narrative and are sick of masks and lockdowns, then have a look.

If you want hockey back asap, then have a look. If you want fans back in the stadiums, have

a look. If you want your life back, have a look. If you want your job back, have a look.

Also before you start bashing me as a murderer or whatever, have a look, please:

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

There is no way to skip death but we are on the way to skip life..

so what about a player who contracts it and has long lasting, life altering comlications and there goes their career?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nathancanuck said:

I don't have a link, but I do have 5 months worth of personal experience with lung damage stemming from a respiratory virus, the likes of which I've never experienced.  It's been 5 months now and if I exert myself physically, as I did yesterday on my farm, I'm down and out for at least two days, as I am today.  My lungs have phlegm in them everyday regardless of exertion and I am now getting worried about damage to heart.  

• Huggy Bear 2

22 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

I should have said "almost no one" to be politically correct as we don't have other problems.

Northing to do with "political" correctness; just being factual is enough.

23 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

So much "can" be caused by it yeah yeah we should never leave

our homes again..until.. until there is no more food and we all die (at least without the virus although starvation may also

cause hallucinations)

Just where did I say never leave your home?   

strawman.png.f101619af8b1c9879be3673fdeed6a9b.png

• Vintage 1

58 minutes ago, Nathancanuck said:

I think we heard the same thing then. Agree on going back to hockey talk!

But so far it's mostly blaming players for being "stupid" and" careless" or that they

will "f*** up" this great hygiene concept. We should stop that, who is really following

all the rules??? No one! So don't blame 20-40 year old athletes if they meet a friend

or something.. It's like one of my best friends, she is having tinder dates all the time 

and doesn't follow any of the rules but then she tells me to wear a mask in the subway..

Last thing about the lungs that age 20 years.. I would recommend everyone to check that 

again because for me this makes a HUUUUGE difference.. If it is not true then I don't care

about the virus at all, if it would be true I might get a full protective suit like the people in

high security virus laboratories :D As long as people are scared there won't be too much

hockey talk..

We will beat Minnesota in 5 games, its gonna be a pretty tight series with 2 or 3 games 

going to OT. The crowd will go crazy!

This is ridiculous and irresponsible.  I am following all the rules - my entire family is.  So if you and your crowd aren't, please don't suggest you speak for or represent the rest of us.

Your tinder friend's seemingly an idiot but the mask is to protect others so at least she's doing that part right.

"The crowd"?  Seems like some game playing/button pushing going on here.  Nice to throw in a hockey tie in though.  

I LOVE hockey...it's a huge part of my life but I only want to see this done if it's responsible and isn't putting people at risk.  It can wait in that case....

And the "don't blame 20-40 year old athletes" part?  It's not just about "them"...there's no I in team.  And players should be making sure there's no covid there, too.  Their big huge contracts probably mean there are some stipulations about "do/don't" if you want to participate and in relation to "other's" safety..not just self needs and wants.  Discipline is part of being a high paid athlete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

26 NHL players test positive?

United States turning into a bubbling mess.

I don't see how there will be a season this year. 

Just think how many more people they would have spread it to if the NHL didn't get them tested.

If done correctly, the players would be safer in the bubble rather than out and about in the general public.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Just think how many more people they would have spread it to if the NHL didn't get them tested.

Yeah, seems like there needs to be way more testing in general.

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

If done correctly, the players would be safer in the bubble rather than out and about in the general public.

I just can't see it happening. Word is the players aren't that stoked about returning. Still too many unknowns about covid and having to be away from family for 2 months. I also think the NHL bubble would be to difficult to maintain with so many personnel. 

• Cheers 1