The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom Snubbed by NHL in Vezina Voting

Rate this topic

cuporbust

lol only in vancouver they think Markstrom is a top 3 goalie in the league this year. yes he is awesome this year. yes he carried the teams at times and have lots of high quality saves. but his stats doesn't reflect that. at the end of the day you can't expect every voters to watch every single game every goalie plays and then decide whether or not he should be considered.. he's 10th in shots against 10th in saves against 14th in save % if u take out the goalies with less than 20 games.. he's 24th in goals against if u take out the goalies with less than 20 games.. quick look at that.. that's hardly vezina worthy stat wise. that'll place him at around top 10ish that's it

I feel I'm one of his biggest supporters this year, but even I wouldn't have him top 3. If he finished somewhere like 8th or 9th then I'll feel he's been snubbed a bit, but if he finished around 5th, I'll be quite happy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I think that will be impossible to do.  The 1-2 guys for the Calder are no brainers.

It's quite the coincidence that the media, most of whom have no brains themselves, get to vote for the hardware!

Marky has come a long way to reach this point. He’s made a believer out of majority  of CDC and Canucks fan base. That’s worth more than a Vézina nomination imo. He’s given us a chance to win every night and goes about his business the right way. The Canucks way. What more can we ask for ?

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol only in vancouver they think Markstrom is a top 3 goalie in the league this year. yes he is awesome this year. yes he carried the teams at times and have lots of high quality saves. but his stats doesn't reflect that. at the end of the day you can't expect every voters to watch every single game every goalie plays and then decide whether or not he should be considered.. he's 10th in shots against 10th in saves against 14th in save % if u take out the goalies with less than 20 games.. he's 24th in goals against if u take out the goalies with less than 20 games.. quick look at that.. that's hardly vezina worthy stat wise. that'll place him at around top 10ish that's it

Most sites have him as an honourable mention for a Vezina finalist - some say he would have been without his injury and had he played at the same level throughout.    He’s number one in EXP goals # 2 in adjusted SP (which looks at quality of shots) and played in the 9th hardest environment.     Also his SP ranks a lot higher (4-5) once you get up there in games - 30 or so can’t remember.   He did have a chance of making a finalist and likely would have been if he made it through the season unhurt.    Rask and Vasilevskiy play infront of two of the best teams in the league - a deeper dive where things become more equal shows a very different story then the traditional stats your quoting above. 

This was one of the best seasons I’ve ever seen by a Canuck goalie not named Luongo ... on par with some of McLeans best.    Too bad he couldn’t finish it - for sure a top 5 performance this year by any NHL goalie.   

Edited by IBatch

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I feel I'm one of his biggest supporters this year, but even I wouldn't have him top 3. If he finishes somewhere like 8th or 9th then I'll feel he's been snubbed a bit, but if he finishes around 5th, I'll be quite happy.

This is where he belongs - that is in the top five.   Our team went on a slide once he was injured (and BB) .... and even TT couldnt stop it.    He’s also a top five Hart candidate...

16 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Knew this would be the case. Now they can focus on snubbing Hughes in Calder voting next...

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-goalie-jacob-markstrom-snubbed-by-nhl-gms-in-vezina-voting

He didn't have the numbers to be a Vezina candidate. He deserves it but you have to have a good save % and goals against and his are pretty average. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I feel I'm one of his biggest supporters this year, but even I wouldn't have him top 3. If he finishes somewhere like 8th or 9th then I'll feel he's been snubbed a bit, but if he finishes around 5th, I'll be quite happy.

There's a Burke interview on SN. He has him at #4 this season... I was surprised. 

• Like 1

As a guy that was pumping the Marky for Vezina train back in February, I don't see this as a snub necessarily. If our defense was better at playing defense, he'd for sure be in the running. Fact of the matter is this award will always follow the save percentage, GAA, wins stat lines. And sad thing is despite keeping this team alive his numbers don't quite match up to other goalies. Our team defense did our team no favors and made a lot of games harder than they needed to be. A lot of us were saying around December that this team allows way too many damn shots, quality shots too. Marky played unreal and deserves Vezina nods. But the main stats don't reflect just how good he was this season cause he got peppered with shots, peppered with odd man rushes. A lot of goals against weren't his fault. So his main stats suffered. 

Although I am curious how far behind Vasilevskiy he was. Marky had 2.75 GAA and Vasi had 2.56. But with the save percentages being nearly identical it's clear Marky faced more shots. Guess you could argue Marky over Vasi, but I don't think Marky had a real shot at beating Hellebuyck. Who had to deal with a blueline that was equally as bad as ours but still notched really good numbers. Rask played on the best team in the league, so his numbers are great. Again, just on numbers you can see why Marky isn't being talked about as one of the favourites despite all of us knowing he carried our team. Love it or hate it but this is an award where numbers matter. He had less wins, worse GAA and around the lowest save percentage among Vasi, Hellebuyck and Rask.

Edit: Just to clarify my stance, I have him number 4/5 in the league. Which is nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Vintage 2

On 7/17/2020 at 3:38 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

It's a single season award so his past seasons should be irrelevant.. even so he has played at a top tier level for the last 1.5 seasons.

That being said, I am fine with the finalists.

Bishop getting snubbed was the real tragedy