The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks vs Jets, Bubble Hockey Edition (Exhibition), July 29th @ 7:30pm PST, Sportsnet

Rate this topic

Just now, DeNiro said:

Eriksson has earned a spot over Sutter if they decide they wanna have a vet there. 

Say what you will about his play and his contract but he has been quite professional through all this.

after watching the game last night I agree.  I love Suts and when he's healthy he's an important piece of the lineup, but he did not look healthy last night.

Ferland Gaud Virt

Eriksson Beagle Motte

Mac

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

after watching the game last night I agree.  I love Suts and when he's healthy he's an important piece of the lineup, but he did not look healthy last night.

Ferland Gaud Virt

Eriksson Beagle Motte

Mac

There's Roussel too.

1 minute ago, mll said:

There's Roussel too.

shoot, he was so invisible last night I forgot........he was better than Motte though

Eriksson Beagle Roussel

mac, motte

rotate those 4 wingers through, depending on who earns it.

6 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I don't think they will carry a 13th forward, expanded roster was only for the practice game.

I must be out to lunch, but I thought they could dress an extra skater for playoffs. Forward or D..

Just now, the grinder said:

umm Travis green has done nothing but been fair with Jake  , he has spent more time with Jake than any other player on the roster , Green worked with Jake for 2 years  in Utica and now in the nhl  , I wish jake would just figure it out but in 5 years of being a Pro , he still doesn't get it and that isn't on Green  that is on Jake.  Do you see Gaudette  having problems like Jake ?  no so I guess it isn't the coach then  unless you wanna rehash  loui's comments last summer

what hasn't he figured out?  He's progressed every single year, he gets some of the lowest mins of any regular forward, yet puts up some of the better numbers in multiple categories.  I'd argue Jake is one of the best value for the bang players in the lineup.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

The most expensive bottom 6 in the league press box need to contribute way more.  This "support" group needs to support our young stars way better against Minny.

Landing a few gems at the draft in the last few years (and then rewarding your amateur scouting director responsible by letting him go because you refuse to give him the power to hire and fire his own people) is all great n all, but the other side of the coin is how you fill up the rest of the roster.  A few talented kids on the top lines, even with a hot goalie, does not a team make. Where was all the new energy from being rested from these overpriced vets?   I thought Pearson had numerous gaffes and looked unconditioned. Sutter was ineffective and took a real dumb penalty, Beagle was invisible. Rousell got a goal, but for the most part also looked out of shape and behind the play. The longer the game went, the more they were hemmed in their own end.

I hope it was more a case of saving it for the real games,  but they better show more fight in the next series or we are done in a few games

FTFY    (hopefully ;) )

1 hour ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

If it was up to me, I'd put in Jake for the reasons you listed.  We already have good PKers in Beagle, Horvat, Miller, Pearson and Motte.

We need speed and physicality throughout the lineup to match Minny.    That's why i'd like to see Jake in over LE and Sutter.

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I watched the game again. It was on repeat on sportsnet again, just ended..

OJ needs a full training camp and then brought along slowly.. See how he does as 7D with favourable matchups next season and go from there 

He can't handle the speed of the game. Couple bad giveaways and doesn't feel comfortable enough to make a play with the puck.. just tries to clear it. Made one good outlet pass in the 1st period. 

On 1 shift he had 2 giveaways .. Jets came very close to scoring.   

Needs to get used to the pace of the NHL game. Not there yet. 

The was 1 shift in I think the 3rd where he had what looked like a giveaway but in then pearson appeared to have no stick? I wonder if pearson broke his stick on that one? I thought he looked ok. Didn't seem too keen to skate the puck,  but looked prettty strong on the boards and he blocked that 2 on 1 pass. 

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

Jake needs to learn to  stop taking shifts off ,  he needs to , be more of a pro than a bro  , I agree with you  jake has all the tools but his toolbox  needs some work, 

5th in goals

9th in assists

7th in points

4th in hits

4th in takeaways

8th in giveaways, but amongst the lowest of regular forwards and one of the few with more TA than GA

1st in game winning goals

4th in powerplay goals, but 15th for pp mins/game with under a minute of pp time per game

17th in average toi per 60 mins

The numbers simply do not back up those kinds of claims against him.  Name a player who doesn't take shifts off?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Green is not going to risk his employment to prove a point to Jake.  It's 100% on the player.  If he can't learn from the Sedins then I doubt he ever will. 

again, the numbers simply do not reinforce that criticism.  To leave a player with those stats out of a playoff lineup is not a hockey decision

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

again, the numbers simply do not reinforce that criticism.  To leave a player with those stats out of a playoff lineup is not a hockey decision

18goals and a minus 4 doesn't guarantee you a spot if you're not willing to show up in shape, simple as that.  It is a hockey decision and it's 100% on the player.  Petey, Gaudette, and Hughes don't have this problem and two of those players get primo minutes - so the numbers do support the criticism, it's just some the JV fans don't want to believe it.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

Ferland Gaud Virt

Eriksson Beagle Motte

Mac

I dont think they're going to break up that 3rd line of ...

Roussel Gaud Ferland

That line has everything a 3rd line needs. Sandpaper attitude and some offense.. looked good last night..

When Virt makes it into lineup it'll be on the 4th line to start and see how it goes from there...

55 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Sutter again looks out of shape to me his back check is laughable he looks gassed every shift love to see an energy guy in his spot 

I don't think its that, its the surgeries and injuries imo. If his cardio wasn't there, he'd still be a very good face off guy but they aren't using him for that much.... somethings not right with him. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1