The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks vs Jets, Bubble Hockey Edition (Exhibition), July 29th @ 7:30pm PST, Sportsnet

Rate this topic

watched the game a little later.  First was fantastic, except for the goal against, second wasn't good at all and the third was frustrating, mostly because of Hellybuck.  Marky was ok, none of the goals were his fault, but he looked rusty at times.  I have no worries about him, however. 

Petey looked strong and he'll be a handful for Minny, but Miller looked rusty, for sure.  TT was quiet, but that's his game........he had a couple of good chances and we know that he'll show up when the games matter.

Bo had a strong game at both ends of the ice, but his wingers need to start going to the net and stop being perimeter players.  I won't say much about Boes, as I don't want to start a flame war, but he was good on the attack last night, as he usually is.  I thought Pearson struggled a bit.

I thoguht Gaudette was flying out there last night, but he does struggle in his own end.  Still, Sutter looks like he's hurting and that might mean Gaud gets the call and they just do what they can to shelter him.  Ferland had a strong game and looks like he'll step right in and be the player they signed him to be.

Despite the goal, I thought Roussel was a prime candidate tobe watching from the pressbox and Mac, as much as I like him, is not ready for regular duty yet and will likely be borderline pressbox guy in his career.  He just doesn't have the wheels to be a truly effective bottom 6 player, imo.  I also didn't think Motte did anything noteworthy and could be a player that is in and out of the lineup.

Edler land Tanev looked like Edler and Tanev.........Myers looked solid.  Hughes had some good moments, but didn't have a strong game, overall.  I have no worries there though.  I'd say the brightest part of the game was the play of OJ.........maybe now people can finally lay off.  He was solid defensively and showed why he was a high pick.........he can move the puck out of the zone with one pass.  At this point I'd rather see OJ than Fanta or Benn I think.  

I won't comment on Virtanen, as people know where I stand, other than it was a pretty glaring element missing from the game.  Like him or not, Virtanen is a player that impacts games and the effect of his absence was clear last night.

IN the end, it was Winnipeg and we know how that song goes, so I wouldn't read too much into it.  They played two strong periods out of three and Hellybuck stole that game, imo. A (relatively) healthy Jets team is going to sneak up on a lot of opponents and I think they'll do away with Calgary quickly and make a deep run.

Edited by stawns

I have certain expectations for the Canucks. I look at the roster and I think they can go deep in the playoffs. The D game may be their only real hindrance at times. But then I got to thinking, if they can't beat the Jets, how will they ever get to the Cup? It's not the last 4 or 5 games. It's now 11 in a row I believe. That's dominance, year after year.

Are the Canucks ready to do anything? What's missing? Is it the lackluster D at times, or is it Green's coaching style? Are their stars too young?

I fell asleep for the 3rd, but I think the first 2 periods were the worst hockey I've ever seen Quinn Hughes play. completely ineffective, not using his skating. if the Canucks are going to have a prayer, that needs to change in a damn hurry. 

6 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I just see people making comments like “free Jake” and I can’t help but think that it’s not simply a matter of a coach not liking a player. It’s a player shooting himself in the foot. 

Sometimes it's not really shooting yourself in the foot, just simply the best team plays. Jake didn't cut it and the facts are both he and Eriksson have two days to make the coaches put them in the line-up. All the panty yanking and kool aid spilling is hilarious.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

The entire camp thing is blown out of proportion imo. 

Demko outplayed marky...

Beagle outplayed petey...

Remember when shirokov outplayed the entire team?

And Steve Kariya and Fedor Fedorov. Preseason beasts who didn’t get a sniff after the games got real. But yeah good old CDC freaking out after outplaying the Jets and losing to the Venzina winner this year.

a pre warm up game. The Jets shut down everything and the Canucks only had small opportunities but missed the net. 

Pluses +

-OMG Markys mask is awesome.

-OJ looks solid for next season and future.

Minuses -

-the whole team getting shut down by a better team.

i wanta see Jake at lest once in a playoff game just to see if he has the Playoff style game that i’ve Been telling myself he has so it justifies his being drafted so high.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Re-watching the game now. Really good first period. Need to bring this play against Minny.

Yea I was bummed with the lack of scoring but overall we can’t be too hard on them.

Hellebyuck is a Vezina finalist for a reason and showed that last night.

We keep getting opportunities like we had and the puck will go in.

That being said I would still take out Sutter and add Eriksson or Virtanen. Need more than Sutter brings on that 4th line.

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Re-watching the game now. Really good first period. Need to bring this play against Minny.

Played great until the kids started taking wild chances. Then we were down 3 in quick fashion. Hate to say it but Petey was one of the biggest culprits floating around during the errors.

52 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

IMO, Troy Stecher is the weakest link on D. He got caught up ice and out of position - again - and it cost them a goal. This happens too often. I know he works hard and really gives his all, but I think he's a liability. Markstrom needs and deserves better D in front of him. This is an area the Canucks need to improve (defensively) if they want to do anything in the playoffs. Quinn Hughes also gets out of position on occasion and may give up the puck once in a while, but Stecher is no Hughes, and Hughes has Tanev as a responsible D partner. 

Juolevi had a good game , i didn't see anything to complain about with him, i hope he stays with the team. Hughes is our best defenseman, no complaints about him,  Edler is Edler, and he is okay, Tanev and Hughes compliment each other I like Myers a lot even tho he makes some mistakes. On the whole our defense is not that bad, i have seen worse on other teams.

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I love the pumped in noise....it feels too weird without it.  It adds to the intensity of the broadcast for me and I feel they have it right. 

I expected it to be overkill, but it's not.  It's used pretty sparingly, which is a good thing.

To each his/her own I guess.

Come to think of it........I did not even notice it. That's a good thing I guess 

• Cheers 1