The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 04, 2020 | Series tied 1-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, ruilin96 said:

I remember a game in December against the Penguins where Jake was flying out there hitting and making life frustrated for Malkin. Jake also scored a goal that game and Malkin was more focused on Jake then playing the game and the Canucks end up winning the game 4-1. That was one of the best game I've seen Jake play. If Jake can engage Fiala the way he did that game, it would be great.

Don't think it's a matchup Green wants.  Green likes to line match.  He had Virtanen out vs Fiala for only 15 seconds.  

So I heard Ferland blocked a shot and that’s why he left. anyone know if that’s true or saw it happen? Also I heard Toffoli is wearing a walking boot. Anyone know if that’s true? If so....does that mean broken or do people wear walking boots for other injuries that are hopefully short term.

Edited by HockeyHarry

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

So I heard Ferland blocked a shot and that’s why he left. Anywho know if that’s true or saw it happen? Also I heard Toffoli is wearing a walking boot. Anyone know if that’s true? If so....does that mean broken or do people where walking boots for other injuries that are hopefully short term.

There will never be 100% confirmation with this, everyone would just be "unfit" to play. I am hoping Ferland is out because of a blocked shot, I really hope it is not the C word again. I hope nothing too serious with Toffoli as I think we need more goal scorers down the road if we want to win this series and advance to play more. Uniting the lotto-line was great as they were dominating both the eye-test and also analytics as well. Bo was a faceoff beast, winning 71% of his draws. We need everyone to play at their peak and if we do that we can force Minnesota to chase the game and use our talent to beat them out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I remember a game in December against the Penguins where Jake was flying out there hitting and making life frustrated for Malkin. Jake also scored a goal that game and Malkin was more focused on Jake then playing the game and the Canucks end up winning the game 4-1. That was one of the best game I've seen Jake play. If Jake can engage Fiala the way he did that game, it would be great.

I think the difference is Malkin engages whereas Fiala likely doesn't. I think we played Fiala fine last game ad he was pretty much ineffective for 55 minutes of the game. Good players do find a way to breakthrough sometimes, so we do need to re-focus here, but I don't see a need for any more special treatment than last game. Keep in mind both of those goals were 6 on 5 and they likely had set plays to get him open which worked. Our coverage needs to be sharper. Our PK was solid last night, so we have to play the 6 on 5 similarly.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

So I heard Ferland blocked a shot and that’s why he left. Anywho know if that’s true or saw it happen? Also I heard Toffoli is wearing a walking boot. Anyone know if that’s true? If so....does that mean broken or do people where walking boots for other injuries that are hopefully short term.

TSN has Toffoli in a walking boot.

As for Ferland status seems unknown.  Johnston reviewed the shifts: 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

I'm quite concerned

I looked at hockey shift charts and found Ferland's last 2 shifts.

One with 5 min left in the 1st and second with 3 min left in the 1st. Both on PP2.

No contact ever made with him and he was skating completely fine. No shot blocks unless it happened on the other 3 shifts.

He looked perfectly normal so I don't know if he was feeling concussion symptoms or he broke something like a hand or foot and it was only in the intermission he took off his boot or got his hands checked?

edit

There was a sight push to the upper back on the last shift. I didnt even count that as contact initially because this happens all the time and doesn't even count as a hit. It happens in my non contact rec league and it's a non facor/issue.  If that caused a concussion, he's gotta quit hockey because his long term health is more important. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

There will never be 100% confirmation with this, everyone would just be "unfit" to play. I am hoping Ferland is out because of a blocked shot, I really hope it is not the C word again. I hope nothing too serious with Toffoli as I think we need more goal scorers down the road if we want to win this series and advance to play more. Uniting the lotto-line was great as they were dominating both the eye-test and also analytics as well. Bo was a faceoff beast, winning 71% of his draws. We need everyone to play at their peak and if we do that we can force Minnesota to chase the game and use our talent to beat them out.

i hate this "unfit to play", it is just dumb, at least upper body injury or lower body injury and coaches letting you know 1 one day, 1 week, etc they would be out, fans want to know! all we can do is hope they come back soon. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Ferland I really like. His interviews...he seems like a good person. I hope he’s ok.

i can’t believe he got in a fight. What was he thinking.

sorry to say this but Ferland has got to think of his own future health, his quality of life with his family.

we all know he’s a warrior he’s got nothing to prove. Plz Don’t get into fist fights Ferland. If it’s just an injury then that’s great he can come back and play his style. If he truly is C free.

Anywho I hope it’s not another C. For his families sake.

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

i hate this "unfit to play", it is just dumb, at least upper body injury or lower body injury and coaches letting you know 1 one day, 1 week, etc they would be out, fans want to know! all we can do is hope they come back soon. 

They don't want people to know whether or not they are out of the line up for Covid reasons. So if they announce all these upper and lower body injury for players who are injured and there is this one guy that didn't play and he is the only one undisclosed, people will speculate that he is Covid and it draws all unnecessary drama. I think as long as the team and the coaching staff knows what is going on, that is good enough.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Problem is, if they let "us" know, they let "them" know.   I don't need to know if it makes our opponent's job harder.  :)

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

After years of ridiculous subterfuge in the playoffs (upper/lower body injuries) NHL teams have finally found an actual reason (COVID/privacy laws) to justify their gamesmanship. We’d better get used to it.

5 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Toffoli walking boot. Anyone know how long sprains , deep bruises , or brakes take to heal so he can play again.

do they got those oxygen body thingys in the bubble for players to recover?

Depends on the severity it can be 1 week or up to 6. Good thing we have depth and will allow Toff the time needed to heal and hopefully be back late 2nd round ;)

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NucksIn50 said:

Depends on the severity it can be 1 week or up to 6. Good thing we have depth and will allow Toff the time needed to heal and hopefully be back late 2nd round ;)

Agreed.. thank God we got depth. So there is hope Toffoli can be back, by....perhaps end of the real playoff 1st round

Edited by HockeyHarry