The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 04, 2020 | Series tied 1-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, mordekai said:

Rooster might be a viable option Thursday. We have a back to back though on Thurs/Fri, that might spice things up some.

Will Demmer get the start on Friday? Or will we ride Marky in the back to back? I assume Green lets marky decide if he's ready for it.

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Thankfully we got depth and an abundance of forwards

Abundance? If toffoli is still out next game Ferlund is out and rousell prolly out taking the shot to the head.. we are plugging in macqewan and lind.. hardly any nhl experience and 0 playoff experience 

Travis Green and the coaching staff might be deserving of the first start tonight.   The Canucks adjusted extremely well from the first game in terms of making MUCH faster decisions with the puck (passing or shooting).  The much faster decisions also lead to less predictability and it gave the Wild fits tonight.  Major props to the coaching staff for not having to resort to major line changes (like I had suggested) in order to change the tide.

Having said that, I still think we need to tighten up in our own end and do a better job with gap control.  Still too many Wild players getting good looks from the slot.    The Canucks also need to figure out their power play situation when the Wild attack our point men with their aggressive hybrid diamond/umbrella PK format.   The Canucks have all kinds of trouble in the PP when the Wild challenge our point men, because Minnesota knows that getting traffic in front of their net is not something that we do naturally.  

All in all, a decent game, but the Canucks will still have to be careful.  The next game is the “home” game for the Wild and so the favorable match-ups will go towards them.

• Upvote 3

Honestly, I thought Sutter looked on

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Everyone was calling for lineup changes after game 1. He didn't have a great game, so he got bumped out and hopefully learned something from the press box. He's been coaching the kid all year and this should be taken as another lessen. Who else would you have sat out instead?

Honestly, I thought Sutter looked really good on the third line, and LE surprised me with his game, he had some offensive chances and played good defense. I think Gaudette should feel fortunate if he gets back in.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

Rooster might be a viable option Thursday. We have a back to back though on Thurs/Fri, that might spice things up some.

Will Demmer get the start on Friday? Or will we ride Marky in the back to back? I assume Green lets marky decide if he's ready for it.

My bet is Marky. But it will be interesting to see for sure. It’s not your typical playoffs where you always get a day off between games. There’s been a few teams now that have played their second goalie. Most interestingly today was Carolina

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

The canes played Reimer in their back to back after Mrazek had the first 2 starts. Believe Thursdays game is at 11:30am PST followed by 7:30pm PST Friday? 

Or is Friday a second early day. If its a late game I can see Marky starting both without hesitation. 

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

The canes played Reimer in their back to back after Mrazek had the first 2 starts. Believe Thursdays game is at 11:30am PST followed by 7:30pm PST Friday? 

Or is Friday a second early day. If its a late game I can see Marky starting both without hesitation. 

NHL app says TBD on Friday

28 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

Wow want to be excited but we almost lost that game in my opinion due to bad goaltending.

Markstrom your done bud. Demko your turn.

The first Fiala goal, Edler gets knocked down before the pick arrives, technically should've been interference. From then, Horvat is drawn to Staal, so either Horvat shouldn't have been so aggressive (I believe it was 6 on 5 at that point) or Pearson should've came down and covered Fiala. Either way, Fiala had a wide look near the slot and took an almost perfect shot that most goalies would not be able to handle (there's a reason why he has like 17 goals in his last 20 games).

The second goal was another bang bang play and he shoots it post and in while Marky was being massively screened. We needed someone to clear the screen or not let someone like Fiala be so open to take those shots.

How you can pin those solely on Marky is beyond me. Marky played well.

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Abundance? If toffoli is still out next game Ferlund is out and rousell prolly out taking the shot to the head.. we are plugging in macqewan and lind.. hardly any nhl experience and 0 playoff experience 

You're right with guys like Mac/Gaud not having that ploff experience but compared to what kind of depth we've had in years past it's night and day.

Need I remind you of Chaput and Megna?

Simply put it could be worse, much much worse

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Petey should have had two helpers; he forced the TO and deflected the puck to Miller on his "unassisted" goal. That little tab to Brock for his goal was an underappreciated thing of beauty. The NHL TV guys said it was a deflection, but it was a perfect feed to an open Brock for the finish. I like Brock better on that like, when Toffoli gets back I'd like to see him on Bo's line.

Petey had a great game, he's getting a ton of dirty attention, I hope he can hold up over the course of the playoffs. Also, very disappointed in Jake, one good play backtracking to break up a scoring chance, but I expected him to play with some edge, like he had a chip on his shoulder and he gives us blech. Honestly, if JB can get somebody to take LE's contract and the sweetener is Jake, I'm all in on that.

He was flying out there and did play with some sort of edge as he won a few puck battles. And also, playing 8 minutes..hard to get super engaged and be noticed.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

NHL coaches don't often let goaltenders decide. They always say they want to play. 

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

The first Fiala goal, Edler gets knocked down before the pick arrives, technically should've been interference. From then, Horvat is drawn to Staal, so either Horvat shouldn't have been so aggressive (I believe it was 6 on 5 at that point) or Pearson should've came down and covered Fiala. Either way, Fiala had a wide look near the slot and took an almost perfect shot that most goalies would not be able to handle (there's a reason why he has like 17 goals in his last 20 games).

The second goal was another bang bang play and he shoots it post and in while Marky was being massively screened. We needed someone to clear the screen or not let someone like Fiala be so open to take those shots.

How you can pin those solely on Marky is beyond me. Marky played well.

meh markstrom have been OK at best i wouldn't say played well or played poorly. in the first game i dunno the 2 goals are questionable.. 1st one was bad.. 2nd one beats him 5 hole.. 2nd game.. first goal wasn't exactly the greatest either he was beat after getting set squared to the shooter

15 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

I love how no one has anything remotely constructive to say other than giving me down votes. 

Its like you hate the truth, those were 3 bad goals period. I want the TEAM to win what do you want 

to go to Disneyland and see Mickey Mouse?

Disneyland is closed :p  I know this because we were going to go there this week but we had to cancel the trip.