The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) fixing Toronto’s defence

1) Toronto sends Kerfoot+Ceci UFA rights to Buffalo for Montour+Simmonds UFA rights

> Leafs sacrifice secondary scoring forward for a 2nd pairing RHS dman. Sabres get younger. Simmonds won’t re-up in Buffalo who can be signed for cheap and give the Leafs grit upfront. Montour is an RFA who won’t command a ton of money either.

2) Toronto sends Dermott+Vegas 5th rounder to Calgary for either one of Hamonic’s or Brodie’s UFA rights

> Flames will only be able to re-sign one of them coming up against a cap crunch. Both are sound 2way RHS dmen capable of chewing up top pair minutes. Calgary gets a cheaper alternative in Dermott who will sign for cheap as an RFA + get a mid pick for giving up a players rights who they won’t be able to keep anyways.

Leafs defence before:

Rielly - Ceci

Muzzin - Barrie

Dermott - Holl

Leafs defence after:

Rielly - Brodie/Hamonic

Muzzin - Montour

Sandin - Holl

...Montour is a much more cost effective option than Barrie and offers similar production. Brodie/Hamonic are much more suited to anchor the top pair and help Rielly vs. Ceci who was played out of his depth. 

Not to mention Simmonds who’s a heart&soul guy that can be played anywhere from lines 1-3. A great veteran and modern day power forward who can throw his body around, stick up for teammates, and score regularly. Would be a huge plus for the Leafs especially after they gave away one of their only playoff warriors in Kadri !

Still not fixed enough.  Even with that, they need to trade one of their forwards for another defensively reliable guy and give Montour limited minutes instead of having both of their defensemen who are capable of actually playing defense babysitting pylons.  It's a start though.

I also don't see Hamonic signing anywhere but Winnipeg due to family reasons.

Edited by King Heffy

I think Toronto's problem is team defence, not just their defencemen although it is also of concern.

The 4 star forwards they have are similar type of players. When they had Kadri as 2C, I thought he complemented the top 6 rather well. Instead of Tavares, they should have just kept Kadri and add near selke level winger like Mark Stone or Loui Eriksson who is making Bo's line all that much defensively sound :bigblush: 

If I'm Kyle Dubas, I'd offer my 2021 1st rounder to Vancouver for Loui Eriksson. Put him on Tavares or Matthews RW and problem solved.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, khay said:

I think Toronto's problem is team defence, not just their defencemen although it is also of concern.

The 4 star forwards they have are similar type of players. When they had Kadri as 2C, I thought he complemented the top 6 rather well. Instead of Tavares, they should have just kept Kadri and add near selke level winger like Mark Stone or Loui Eriksson who is making Bo's line all that much defensively sound :bigblush: 

If I'm Kyle Dubas, I'd offer my 2021 1st rounder to Vancouver for Loui Eriksson. Put him on Tavares or Matthews RW and problem solved.

Loui's had his ups and downs in Vancouver, but I certainly wouldn't wish Toronto on him.. 

They'd need to add. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I think trading Kadri was a big mistake for them.  Kadri is actually the kind of player you need and want to win games in the playoffs.  Barrie was redundant when they already had Reilly.

they over reacted to the playoff suspension. 

There are very few moves Dubie can make that either 1) come close to contract value, and 2) have an actual trade partner. 

I would like to first disclose that the Toronto Maple Leafs are my most hated NHL team.

I feel like this off-season represents a very interesting turning point with their team and would love to remodel it. I unlike most feel they have a boatload of tradable assets.

I don't know the details but I would be trying to work with  Carolina, Columbus, or Minny.

I would try and do something like  Nylander to Minny for Carson Soucy.  Doubt it would work. I am sure there would be moving parts involved like picks etc.

Next up...Kapanen. Would love Jake Bean. Don't know if that's remotely possible.

Free agent signings I would then explore to name a few.

Buddy Robinson

Wayne Simmonds

Christopher Tanev aka tequila 

Cody Eakin

Joe Thorton

Brendon Dillon

Trevor Daily 

Joel Edmundson

Kevan Miller 

Ryan Miller

Carl Soderberg

Cam Talbot