The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Gentlemen put the tape measures away

To be clear, I'm not usually one to post my hockey "credentials".....however, when someone claims I've never played at all, I feel it's apropos to point out the error in that assumption.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As am I.

I played RW and Center, plus a lot of D once I started play Beer League....

So back to the original point .... there is always a hockey 101 primary responsibility is the forward to drop back as soon as he see the pinch. Absolute given 

the next line of D when that fails if for the remaining D man to get over to the middle quickly to seal off any breaks   

didn’t happen unfortunately 

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

So back to the original point .... there is always a hockey 101 primary responsibility is the forward to drop back as soon as he see the pinch. Absolute given 

the next line of D when that fails if for the remaining D man to get over to the middle quickly to seal off any breaks   

That assumes that the D man sees the breakdown and has time to respond....in this case, Stecher did try and cover the hole, but didn't have time to stop Schenn.

He would have had to know that the forward wasn't going to do his job in order to cover for that mistake. He did exactly as he was supposed to.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

HEY...chicks dig drummers.   At least they aren’t the Bass players ha ha 

I'm gonna have to fight you now. Bassist are the hockey equivalent of your 1D.

And I had way more groupies than any of the gargoyle drummers I ever played with.

Edited by luckylager
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I flooded my bathroom once, do I get a participation trophy too?

I worked with a guy who installed a new toilet without putting in a wax ring. When I asked him what he thought the old one was, he thought it was just gunk that somehow collected under there. :picard: He lived on the top floor of his building, and had a lot of angry neighbours. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

I know everyone gets caught up with trying to be right. Lots of people here have played hockey but we all see it differently. I have to agree with you on this one. When I'm playing I always try to have my head on a swivel and it's 100% necessary on my teams for one of the forwards to identify and cover for Hughes, and Stecher needs to be more aware of his defensive responsibilities as compared to trying to hold the puck in that zone. Especially in OT when it was so painfully obvious it was Hughes all by himself behind the net. I play defence first so philosophies differ from person to person.

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Bassist are the equivalent of the guy that rocks up to a rec game to drink to play and insists on getting on the ice all the time 

Says the guitarist who thinks he's good because he can kinda play stairway to heaven.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Wow.  One play didn’t work out.   It’s ok take a pill.   There were at least a dozen plays on either side that didn’t go well for either side and didn’t cost a goal.   Don’t make a mountain out of a mole hill.  The only play that bugs me in this series was Miller won the draw so cleanly - both Tanev and QHs were positioned where they should be off the draw - but Schwartz (one of the fastest skaters in the league) came flying out and passed them and beat Markstrom. 

Let’s not worry about losses like that one.  We were in the game the entire time.   Will say this again - what do you think our playoff run would like if we went up 3-0.  Vancouver might enter the next round without EP and QHs.   Maybe it’s time to stop criticizing the coach and all the plays that don’t go our way and just enjoy it?  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wow.  One play didn’t work out.   It’s ok take a pill.   There were at least a dozen plays on either side that didn’t go well for either side and didn’t cost a goal.   Don’t make a mountain out of a mole hill.  The only play that bugs me in this series was Miller won the draw so cleanly - both Tanev and QHs were positioned where they should be off the draw - but Schwartz (one of the fastest skaters in the league) came flying out and passed them and beat Markstrom. 

Let’s not worry about losses like that one.  We were in the game the entire time.   Will say this again - what do you think our playoff run would like if we went up 3-0.  Vancouver might enter the next round without EP and QHs.   Maybe it’s time to stop criticizing the coach and all the plays that don’t go our way and just enjoy it?  

I'm pretty proud of our group, they are pushing the defending champs to the point where they need mistakes to happen in OT in order to beat us. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know...B)

Hey - so Bass or drummer?  Cliff Burton was my favourite although Led Zeppelin with the keyboards close second (Bass)...  anesthesia was why I learned the bass as young lad.   Got pretty good at it.  Then switched to guitar so I could learn Pages Bron-yaur solo from Physical Graffitti (and of course a ton of other stuff)...once I could nail that in the dark with no lights I lost interest.   Still I could always play “More then Words” if I wanted to get layed - at some random house party (which BTW for mellinials and gen Z that’s what we used to do every weekend / no cell phones or Pokémon or internet) and it usually worked.    Now of course I’ve been married for a couple decades (thx to More then Words ... I &^@#!n hate that song!!)  and I’d rather watch hockey. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Incredible hockey game.

Very proud of that group = toe to toe with the SCC, in desperation mode, hitting the top gear they could - and the team was blow for blow with them the entire way, in a last shot wins battle - can't really ask for more than that.

Fantenburg, Motte, Sutter - unreal performances imo.  Those last two minutes of regulation were next level outstanding efforts by Motte and Sutter - and Fantenburg brought it constantly - looked like a legit top 4 shutdown D the entire night.  Was really hoping one of those guys could pull off a game-winner after backboning the team through that game.

Was pleasantly surprised by Benn.  He had a few off moments - particularly after a minute long shift late in the 3rd where he finally had lots of time and space to clear the zone, and had a braincramp icing - but otherwise a solid effort with a handful of nice defensive plays.

I might go to Juolevi regardless, for fresh legs in the back-to-back and for the improved puck moving on the back-end, but hard to take issue with Benn's performance overall.

Anyhow - keep doing what they're doing and they give themselves a chance to win every night.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I'm pretty proud of our group, they are pushing the defending champs to the point where they need mistakes to happen in OT in order to beat us. 

Me too.  I’m super proud of this group and keep saying that.  Really I haven’t liked a team more since the Linden days.   I couldn’t get into the WCE teams.   Thought we’d win a cup in 2011 but hated that Boston beat TB (because I felt we’d have beat them easily)...and then slowly just got sick to my stomach. The Sedins were great players and I’m forever grateful for what they accomplished- they made us a powerhouse like we’ve never had.  But I still like the Linden teams a lot more.  This team has the same potential in it and for that I’m also grateful and really never expected.   Felt we were going to have to wait a lot longer. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Hey - so Bass or drummer?  Cliff Burton was my favourite although Led Zeppelin with the keyboards close second (Bass)...  anesthesia was why I learned the bass as young lad.   Got pretty good at it.  Then switched to guitar so I could learn Pages Bron-yaur solo from Physical Graffitti (and of course a ton of other stuff)...once I could nail that in the dark with no lights I lost interest.   Still I could always play “More then Words” if I wanted to get layed - at some random house party (which BTW for mellinials and gen Z that’s what we used to do every weekend / no cell phones or Pokémon or internet) and it usually worked.    Now of course I’ve been married for a couple decades (thx to More then Words ... I &^@#!n hate that song!!)  and I’d rather watch hockey. 

Drummer.

Toured Canada 6 times, US west coast 3 times, east cost once. Metal/Alt band, was signed with A&M records.

That was a lifetime ago. Would like to get into an old man cover band one day for fun. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hmmm.  From what I saw the 4th (real 3rd line) was again great last night all playing above their pay-grade and the third line was ok but not great - especially given who they played against (quality of competition).   JV had one golden opportunity and didn’t even hit the net ... and wasn’t nearly as physical as the real third line.   Those guys were great last night and definitely deserved the extra ice time. 

Edit:  This isn’t about bashing JV, he’s been ok.  It’s about how good Motte Beagle and McEwen have played more then anything.   I expect a better effort from the third line tonight but will also say TT couldn’t get better sooner, and with apologies to JV he’s the odd man out as far as RWs go in this series.  If he can’t play against the weak competition how do people expect him to replace LE (your not saying that but I have read that proposal).   If he was hitting everything that moved like Motte is or doing something other then skating around waiting for something then maybe it would be different.   At this point the team can’t afford to wait.   And McEwen has definitely outplayed him. 

Mac was not good last night, at all.  Motte had moments, but didn't have a good game overall.

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Drummer.

Toured Canada 6 times, US west coast 3 times, east cost once. Metal/Alt band, was signed with A&M records.

That was a lifetime ago. Would like to get into an old man cover band one day for fun. 

Ahhh.  You maniac.   You should do it!  

• Cheers 1