The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It really wasnt on Stech though. 

He was along the boards at the blue like an RD should be. The reason why he is even on the screen is that he had the awafeness to look over and see that the other half of the ice was empty and started to back up. 

There isnt an athlete in the world that can make up that much ground that quickly. 

Well said, although I'll make one comment: Stech was actually a ways outside the blueline. (closer to the red line, actually) He had just put the brakes on, as there was a two on two battle in the corner and he had to respect the possibility of the Blues breaking out on his side of the ice. He had just turned, when the pass went to Schenn and there was no way to recover from a standing start.

IMO, the "blame" should go to the two guys who allowed the breakout pass....

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Motte

7 hits

4 blocked shots

16 D zone starts (1 ozone) - only Edler had more at 17.

24:17 of ice time.

"elite" young defensive forward.

I love Motte, one of my favourites and he got better later in the game, but he had a rough 1st and 2nd periods.  He had a lot of giveaways and made some terrible decisions.  His pk was as good as ever though and he got back to his game in the 3rd and OT

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Have to have your head on a swivel 

second Hughes breaks, look over .... forward dropping? If no get over ASAP 

if you look at the replay he did not start moving over until the pass was in motion 

As Hughes breaks, Miller jumps on the bench. As that happens Hughes is now at the left corner and heading behind the net. Stech sees the play funneling to the right corner and sees Bess positioned on the halfwall for support to double team the puck and natural instinct from years of training is to slide over to the right point to keep the puck in. 

At no point in time is it reasonable to expect during game speed for Stech to look over and see who jumps off the bench for Miller and see if that player is hanging back to cover the blue line while he is doing his job of sliding over and covering the right point. Also, unreasonable is to think a player could swipe the puck off Hughes' stick in one motion and send a perfect tape to tape pass up the middle of the ice. 9/10 times we see the puck funneled in the corner and then mucked along the boards before something happens with the puck (bank pass off the boards to Stecher) or ROR chipping it off the boards and out. Even if ROR just stopped to gain control of the puck before sending it to Schenn, Stech would have been there. Im curious who jumped on for Miller amd where was he on the ice because I dont see him at all. Even if he was near the middle of the ice, he could have intercepted ROR pass and would have been all alone in the slot. This was an extremely lucky / fortuitous play by St Louis and not something that should be coached. 

Saying all this, Stecher looks over and sees no one covering for Hughes and starts to back up but its too late. 

Only wish I had would be for Stech to at least dive and try to poke the puck off Schenn's stick and contest / distract Schenn. 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

As Hughes breaks, Miller jumps on the bench. As that happens Hughes is now at the left corner and heading behind the net. Stech sees the play funneling to the right corner and sees Bess positioned on the halfwall for support to double team the puck and natural instinct from years of training is to slide over to the right point to keep the puck in. 

At no point in time is it reasonable to expect during game speed for Stech to look over and see who jumps off the bench for Miller and see if that player is hanging back to cover the blue line while he is doing his job of sliding over and covering the right point. Also, unreasonable is to think a player could swipe the puck off Hughes' stick in one motion and send a perfect tape to tape pass up the middle of the ice. 9/10 times we see the puck funneled in the corner and then mucked along the boards before something happens with the puck (bank pass off the boards to Stecher) or ROR chipping it off the boards and out. Even if ROR just stopped to gain control of the puck before sending it to Schenn, Stech would have been there. Im curious who jumped on for Miller amd where was he on the ice because I dont see him at all. Even if he was near the middle of the ice, he could have intercepted ROR pass and would have been all alone in the slot. This was an extremely lucky / fortuitous play by St Louis and not something that should be coached. 

Saying all this, Stecher looks over and sees no one covering for Hughes and starts to back up but its too late. 

Only wish I had would be for Stech to at least dive and try to poke the puck off Schenn's stick and contest / distract Schenn. 

Was Bo or Pearson based in the shift stats. 

Way behind you all as work has meant only just watched the game on NHL.tv and the wife watching at home again in the UK...…..gutted by the result but in general I thought we played a good game. They did to us in OT what we did to them and only criticism would be Stech should have covered the forward but with the way he played the game it was one poor positional play......the disappointment is at Stanley cup level it only takes one error for the chance and goal. On reflection I would take a 2 1 lead after 3 games. We just have to go again tonight and keep pushing the 5 on 5 play and keep converting the PP.

Work tomorrow means another day of stay of social media and watch again tomorrow night. My two UK Canuck buddies give them a cheer from me and the wife. Go Canucks!

11 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Good and fair summary 

9 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Yeah Fanta is he is cheap I think stays, depends though they might take the option to bring up all three and make the space. Means there might be the option to sign Tryamkin before the cutoff (whenever that would be) and then slot him in after the KHl season. 

Honestly, if the KHL season derails there's a good chance we might see him next season. That's assuming we have the NHL operating at all. Everything beyond the playoffs and how it'll work is still up in the air. 

8 hours ago, wloutet said:

Guess you should stop saying or thinking those things!!

its a double edged sword... they didn't get scored on on either penalty,

so maybe I have a magic horseshoe or something.

i didn't lose us the game, just prolonged it for 4 minutes

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

you're fired.

tbh I have said the same thing many times this season... my record is not good

now you see why I am so negative all the time... 

positivity is neither natural not rewarded

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Honestly, if the KHL season derails there's a good chance we might see him next season. That's assuming we have the NHL operating at all. Everything beyond the playoffs and how it'll work is still up in the air. 

You don't think that JB had no problem with him in the KHL for another season? I do, with him signed there, he doesn't have to be protected in the Seattle draft and if they try and get him out of some clause then I hope they fall on their kraken! Hard! 

We need that guy! Super rare to have a guy that big who can skate that well AND destroy players like a freight train and drop the gloves or thrown them around like a ragdoll if someone messes with Marky or Demmer

Edited by iceman64

20 hours ago, KeslerWho? said:

Bleh. We'll get em tomorrow

Thanks for an interesting night CDC! Not gunna stick around for all the complaints haha

Wait, we're not perfect??? Ok get rid of everyone and start another "retool" 

MAYBE keep Alien, out of a bunch of bums he's the least bum we have... he never scored 4 goals last game? WTF is wrong with him?

We should have traded up.... 

Wait, we should just sell the team to Seattle and give up... This team is doing nowhere...

Edited by iceman64

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

we should see Tryamkin and Podkolzon next season anyway the way the schedules are going. NHL won't start until sometime in December, so the KHL season should be well over by the time our season is. 

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

20 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Yes fair points. I get what your saying. I guess I was looking for mistakes and couldn’t recall but you’re right we should expect more from him. Kinda like what Sutter has been bringing to the table. Different roles but Sutter is delivering on what he was brought in for 

Well  now, we talk about and a fight first period........thatis what we are looking for..........aggression

Not necessarily the fight.....but that is more what he needs to do.......he is in the game...

Clobbered the guy too! LOL

• Like 1