The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Twitter reacts to Kevin Bieksa

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

No. Cherry never played a full season in the bigs, let alone thirteen years. 

Kevin has his own wealth of hockey experience, and a charisma I wouldn't personally say Cherry ever had. Juice is his own man. 

"His own man" indeed. That's why I figure he's asserting his way, early-on. They(corporate entity) offer a contract on HIS terms, not vice-versa. This is an interesting bloke(Dos Equis level!)..who won't stand being beholden to typical sports journo-limits. Why should they apply to such a unique bloke with hands-on experience in the bigs?!

It's toooo good for us Van fans. So figure it won't last :^(

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

yup, how many backhanded comments and snide remarks has this team recieved from the panel over the years. kev's the enforcer on the panel now and it stops. i could have sworn ron mclean said that he doesnt like alex burrows on the air because of the auger thing

Basically called him and the team liars.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Oh I have no problem with him calling out their poor play, that's just analysis which is the job. But the panel could've laughed about the Perry joke. But just dead faces. However the only thing where I think Bieksa went a bit too far was saying he's not a Flames fan. He could've just left it alone where he said if I was a Flames fan, there's still hope. I think that's the difference between when we get trolled by the panel. We know they're homers of other teams, but I don't think they've directly said anything that they're not fans of the Canucks. And I think that's what is riling people up the most (so if that was Bieksa's intention, then mission accomplished).

MacLean spent seven minutes criminally slandering Burrows...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

So honesty isn't welcome?

I like that he wears it like a badge of honour...there's history there and it's no secret.  So to say it out loud is wrong?  

He took a jab and that's ok.  I'd rather have his 2 second confession than an ongoing homer saga like that of Hrudey the Flame Fan.  Kevin put it out there.  It's good to be able to come from an angle that's never been 'allowed'...been taboo.  

Speak your truth, KB3.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Meh.  I think there's been countless incidents every bit as 'troll' as Bieksa saying he's not a fan.  Panel and beyond - CBC, SN, TSN...

McLean's infamous shots at Burrows.

Burke's Luongo rule - not a panel member at the time, but he took his axe to grind with the Aquilini's to the point it has damaged our present franchise. I love Burke - but he's also a Leaf and a Lame - and the bridge was burnt here, so...

Dreger's constant trolling, particularly around the Luongo trade (Dreger being a cousin to Dave Nonis - who was fired in favour of Gillis).

Ferraro's endless railing against Benning's incomprehensible rebuild approach.

Hrudey - does anything need to be said - he leaks everywhere at virtually all times.

PJ Stock....Kypreos... Healey....(not fans of the Canucks in very similar ways to Juice not being a Lames fan).  Never particularly subtle - any of them.

Endless waves of Leafs gazing and Leaf homers - almost too many to name.  #proper-rebuild.   Understandable catering to the center of the universe, but enough is enough.

Not sure I'm the least bit concerned about Bieksa having taken it any further than any of them.  If they wanted a more 'professional' approach - they probably should have righted their own ship long ago.

2 hours ago, Robert Long said:

do you remember at all the $&!# we had to eat during the 2011 run? what KB said was minimal in comparison. If thats the line then its been crossed 100x by others. 

Just want to be clear here, I loved what Bieksa said, thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated a Canuck on the panel.

All I'm pointing out is where I think the line that was crossed for the trolls on the other side are going to use to call for him to be fired. Had he not said that, then everything else was fair game.

I am well aware of all the garbage that we have had to hear over the years, but I don't remember once them openly saying they're not Canucks fans (even if it's as clear as day). The media is supposed to be "unbiased" and once it comes out that you're not, then it opens up a can of worms.

I hope that if Bieksa is okay with the possible repercussions, then I have no problem with him continuing to be himself. But you have to assume that SN will try to reign him in and I would to hate to finally have a representative for us only to be taken back off because he refuses to cross the line rather than dance around it.

To be fair though, I normally don't bother to listen to the intermission talk (mostly because I rarely watch a game live, so I'm constantly trying to catch up and the intermission stuff is usually garbage). However, with Bieksa on the panel, I may have to take more of it in.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Meh.  I think there's been countless incidents every bit as 'troll' as Bieksa saying he's not a fan.  Panel and beyond - CBC, SN, TSN...

McLean's infamous shots at Burrows.

Burke's Luongo rule - not a panel member at the time, but he took his axe to grind with the Aquilini's to the point it has damaged our present franchise. I love Burke - but he's also a Leaf and a Lame - and the bridge was burnt here, so...

Dreger's constant trolling, particularly around the Luongo trade (Dreger being a cousin to Dave Nonis - who was fired in favour of Gillis).

Ferraro's endless railing against Benning's incomprehensible rebuild approach.

Hrudey - does anything need to be said - he leaks everywhere at virtually all times.

PJ Stock....Kypreos... Healey....(not fans of the Canucks in very similar ways to Juice not being a Lames fan).  Never particularly subtle - any of them.

Endless waves of Leafs gazing and Leaf homers - almost too many to name.  #proper-rebuild.   Understandable catering to the center of the universe, but enough is enough.

Not sure I'm the least bit concerned about Bieksa having taken it any further than any of them.  If they wanted a more 'professional' approach - they probably should have righted their own ship long ago.

Always respect AV going to bat for Burr on After Hours that night, after Ron did that whole thing with Colin Campbell in the pre-game.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Always respect AV going to bat for Burr on After Hours that night, after Ron did that whole thing with Colin Campbell in the pre-game.

Thanks, being outa' country, don't recall viewing that. There's been so much bile & petty tripe, we can forget some of their antics that happened(keeps adding up).

I'm certain that KB3 was attentively keeping score!

:^)

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

"His own man" indeed. That's why I figure he's asserting his way, early-on. They(corporate entity) offer a contract on HIS terms, not vice-versa. This is an interesting bloke(Dos Equis level!)..who won't stand being beholden to typical sports journo-limits. Why should they apply to such a unique bloke with hands-on experience in the bigs?!

It's toooo good for us Van fans. So figure it won't last :^(

Brilliant way to put it.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Just want to be clear here, I loved what Bieksa said, thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated a Canuck on the panel.

All I'm pointing out is where I think the line that was crossed for the trolls on the other side are going to use to call for him to be fired. Had he not said that, then everything else was fair game.

I am well aware of all the garbage that we have had to hear over the years, but I don't remember once them openly saying they're not Canucks fans (even if it's as clear as day). The media is supposed to be "unbiased" and once it comes out that you're not, then it opens up a can of worms.

I hope that if Bieksa is okay with the possible repercussions, then I have no problem with him continuing to be himself. But you have to assume that SN will try to reign him in and I would to hate to finally have a representative for us only to be taken back off because he refuses to cross the line rather than dance around it.

To be fair though, I normally don't bother to listen to the intermission talk (mostly because I rarely watch a game live, so I'm constantly trying to catch up and the intermission stuff is usually garbage). However, with Bieksa on the panel, I may have to take more of it in.

I think you're playing by a rule book that hasn't been followed when it comes to comments about the Canucks. The high road hasn't exactly got us anywhere, so I personally love what he did.

53 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

That moment when you tell the world you are not a Calgary fan.

image.png

I've seen that look from my wife before.... that one is the scary one. He'd better send some chocolates Cassies way. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1