The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Tyler Toffoli trade is busting hard for us

Rate this topic

CanucksFan8353

1 hour ago, jovocop55 said:

Hope they can keep him....  probably have to trade Boeser to make room.. 

Was TT always this good defensively and along the wall? 

It seems like Brock has better numbers way earlier in their respective careers. If Brock can get better at winning pucks along the boards and is better defensively (which comes with experience). Isn't his ceiling much higher than TT? 

Yeah, we have to find a way to keep both. Maybe this is goodbye to Tanev? He is getting older, and looks to have lost half a step. Hughes could benefit from playing with somebody bigger and more physical than Tanman too. It's been a great ride for Chris and the Canucks, and its a shame to let him walk, but it may be time. Unless of course he takes a huge pay cut to stay.

3 hours ago, jovocop55 said:

Hope they can keep him....  probably have to trade Boeser to make room.. 

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Was TT always this good defensively and along the wall? 

It seems like Brock has better numbers way earlier in their respective careers. If Brock can get better at winning pucks along the boards and is better defensively (which comes with experience). Isn't his ceiling much higher than TT? 

1 hour ago, Nucks94forever said:

Yeah, we have to find a way to keep both. Maybe this is goodbye to Tanev? He is getting older, and looks to have lost half a step. Hughes could benefit from playing with somebody bigger and more physical than Tanman too. It's been a great ride for Chris and the Canucks, and its a shame to let him walk, but it may be time. Unless of course he takes a huge pay cut to stay.

Simply pay the price to get rid of Eriksson. Keep the good players.

Only way we say goodbye to Tanev IMO is if we sign Pietrangelo.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Except Burrows paid his dues (and then some) for the Canucks.  HUGE difference imho.

The Clutch thread didn't become a laughing stock until Burrows was moved up to the Sedin line and he took off producing. Prior to that the argument was Burrows was a waste of a spot despite a bargain basement salary, who killed penalties, blocked shots, aggressively forechecked and backchecked, consistently threw hits, and agitated the opposition into stupid penalties. The knock was his production, ignoring all the things he did extremely well. I thought he was full value to be on the team for all the things he did right regardless of production even in 06/07 (9 pts in 81 games). The real rub was linemates Kesler and Pyatt only had 6 more points than Burrows that previous season 07/08. None of the three were quality 2nd liners. Were that the argument I would have agreed. But to say Burrows didn't belong in the league at all was stupid from the get go. The thing about the Clutch thread is it wasn't original. There was a couple the two seasons before calling him a waste of a spot. The Clutch thread was both foolish to start with and poorly timed.

This thread failed miserably is declaring a player a bust after performing above expectations purely because he was injured. Something the GM has no control over at all. Would we have even been in playoff position without Toffoli while Boeser was out? Very different to the Burrows thread in the reasoning for declaring "bust" but this one was a fail from the get go just as Burrows thread was. Toffoli returning and immediately making an impact makes this OP's statement just as foolish as the Clutch thread. That's the comparison in this - a foolish opinion from the get go made completely laughable by the poor timing of the thread.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I agree with this. 

Why get rid of talented players when we have wasted cap space we can try to rid

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 8/31/2020 at 9:14 PM, aGENT said:

On 8/31/2020 at 9:51 PM, CanucksJay said:

I agree with this. 

Maybe I missed, but how did this get to 9 pages before Loui got a look in? I'm pretty sure if there is a way to get rid of that contract at a minimal cost he'll be gone, but what price freedom?

20 hours ago, warrchief said:

Heard we can split the costs between two years for cap stuff. Meaning half on cap recapture, buyouts and buried contracts split between two years instead of one.

That opens up a good chunk of cap space

Cap stuff makes my head hurt, but aren't we carrying quite a lot over to next year already? Being up against the cap and still in the playoffs has some downsides I guess.

I hope @Sean83 comes back, everything he says is comedy gold.

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Maybe I missed, but how did this get to 9 pages before Loui got a look in? I'm pretty sure if there is a way to get rid of that contract at a minimal cost he'll be gone, but what price freedom?

Cap stuff makes my head hurt, but aren't we carrying quite a lot over to next year already? Being up against the cap and still in the playoffs has some downsides I guess.

I hope @Sean83 comes back, everything he says is comedy gold.

I think we need to wait until playoffs are done to see how thigns shake out as so much can happen in the next few games.  (Boeser catches fire, Demko goes on a run, JV starts playing with edge and speed, etc.)

The main cap relief will be seen in

1)Ferland LTIR

2) Ridding Erikkson's contract

3) Demko possibly takign the starter role

1 is most likely

#2 might need to be packaged with a draft pick or someone like JV

#3 We will see next game? but I honestly dont see why Demko couldn't take starter role. Has a great pedigree. Looks calm and confident and was lights out in his first game which is pressure packed elimination situation.

That's liek a 12m cap swing for all 3 and possibly more.

If Tanev takes a hometown discount and Tofu re-signs at a decent cap hit, would we have enough to go after another player?

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 1:51 PM, CanucksJay said:

I agree with this. 

100%.  Our cap situation is blown way out of proportion, as is the salary expectation for players with a flat cap for the foreseeable future.

-Retain 25% on Sutter and you will move him pretty easily, just don't expect a huge return.  That clears 3.3 Million.

-Add Virtanen to Baertschi and you get 2.3 back. ( I hate this move though)

-Ferland likely goes LTIR

-Move  Benn for a late pick opens up 2

-Sign Marstrom 4 or 5 years x 6

-Sign Tanev 4 years x 5

-Sign Toffoli 4 years x 5.5

After the season before the ex draft, deal Demko and Louie for as much as you can get.

Brock, EP, Miller 12.1

Toffoli, Horvat, Pearson 14.8

Leivo , Gaudette, MacEwan 6 million (all signed at about 2x2)

Rousel, Beagle, Motte 8

LE 6

Hughes, Tanev 6

Meyers, Edler 12

Stecher,  Joulevi/Rathone/Rafferty 4.5

Markstrom 6

Demko 1

Dead weight and bonuses 7.2

Total 83.7 Million

Nothing to me here seems too outlandish and sets us up to be 1 or 2 minor moves from being cap compliant

We would be positioned well for the following year where we need to extend EP and Hughes, with likely have a few of Lind, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rafferty, Rathbone, Hughes, DiPietro.  We would not lose a key piece in the Expansion draft either, Myers would be my best guess, but we will have used the best 2 years of his deal by then.

17 minutes ago, BCNate said:

100%.  Our cap situation is blown way out of proportion, as is the salary expectation for players with a flat cap for the foreseeable future.

-Retain 25% on Sutter and you will move him pretty easily, just don't expect a huge return.  That clears 3.3 Million.

-Add Virtanen to Baertschi and you get 2.3 back. ( I hate this move though)

-Ferland likely goes LTIR

-Move  Benn for a late pick opens up 2

-Sign Marstrom 4 or 5 years x 6

-Sign Tanev 4 years x 5

-Sign Toffoli 4 years x 5.5

After the season before the ex draft, deal Demko and Louie for as much as you can get.

Brock, EP, Miller 12.1

Toffoli, Horvat, Pearson 14.8

Leivo , Gaudette, MacEwan 6 million (all signed at about 2x2)

Rousel, Beagle, Motte 8

LE 6

Hughes, Tanev 6

Meyers, Edler 12

Stecher,  Joulevi/Rathone/Rafferty 4.5

Markstrom 6

Demko 1

Dead weight and bonuses 7.2

Total 83.7 Million

Nothing to me here seems too outlandish and sets us up to be 1 or 2 minor moves from being cap compliant

We would be positioned well for the following year where we need to extend EP and Hughes, with likely have a few of Lind, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rafferty, Rathbone, Hughes, DiPietro.  We would not lose a key piece in the Expansion draft either, Myers would be my best guess, but we will have used the best 2 years of his deal by then.

I would go further and deal Erikkson with a draftpick or JV and persuade Baer to retire due to concussions...

That clears up another 6 + JV's salary or draft pick

I would also strongly consider Demko to be the starter which clears another 6m which will go to Marky

I would go after Pietrangelo while keeping Tanev as well.

I think we become at least a WCF calibre team.

also I am ok at this point in emptying the cupboards of draftpicks.

We have Pod, Hogs, Rafferty Juolevi, Rathbone, Lind all waiting.  One bad draft year wont kill us as we have enough young guys waiting.

This however gves us the potential to unload Erikkson and any other dead weights  and clear up space to go after 1 or even 2 premier talents to load up our already young / developing roster that is playoff calibre

Would nuge take a hometon discount?

If we got rid of

Erikkson, Baer, Ferland, Markstrom

Couldnt we effectively replace that with Piterangelo AND Nuge or even Taylor Hall?

The beauty is that our super young guys Petey and Hughes are ae performing at UFA calibre.

I feel like this is when we need to load up on superstar talent.

Edited by CanucksJay