The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Tyler Toffoli trade is busting hard for us

Rate this topic

CanucksFan8353

10 points in 10 games after the trade. Fit right in and had chemistry right away. Got injured in the playin, so don't really know what he brings in the playoffs.

I can see why you are seeing red (red flashing sarcasm detector)

• Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, Sean83 said:

I was initially a huge proponent of the trade but with him likely not being able to play in the playoffs for us this year, looks like GMJB made a big mistake.  We could have used the defensive depth that Tyler Madden would offer us down the road with the core being so strong.  Madden might have been that last bit to get our core to Cup Contenders down the line.  With Toffoli likely done like Ferland and Leivo though, it looks like the gamble GMJB made busted.  Goes to prove those of you who say "don't mortgage the future" right.  So frustrating! (And no, inserting an injured Toffoli into the series when we're down 3-0 or 3-1 ala us against Calgary in 2015 with the still busted Ryan Miller) doesn't count as good payback for the trade.  

Also makes me think of where we'd be if we had a healthy Toffoli, Ferland and Leivio in our roster this year, but, alas, Canucks luck. 

This trade is just really making me see red right now.  

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-toffoli-new-contract-bargain/

• Like 3

Just looked it up bud.  The standard recovery time per Google for a broken foot is 4 to 6 weeks (or longer). He was injured on August 2.  So that means we, at the earliest, would get him back the back-to-back on August 31/Sept 1 at the latest.

Also, anything more substantive to add, bud than "hard fail"?

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Xanlet said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/canucks-tyler-toffoli-wont-play-friday/

He has been skating and was "aiming to play a potential game 7 Sunday (today)". Where are you getting that he is likely not going to play any more in these playoffs?

I see your confusion.  It's a tweet from the GDT.  Toffoli not likely to play until at least Game 3 now and since it keeps getting pushed back (I saw the report he'd be back for Game 7 if needed also), what's to say it doesn't continually get pushed back? What I'm saying is we were told we were aiming for Game 7 tonight or even Friday's game was possible.  Now he won't be back until Thursday's game at the very earliest???

1 minute ago, Sean83 said:

Just looked it up bud.  The standard recovery time per Google for a broken foot is 4 to 6 weeks (or longer). He was injured on August 2.  So that means we, at the earliest, would get him back the back-to-back on August 31/Sept 1 at the latest.

Also, anything more substantive to add, bud than "hard fail"?

Why didn't you quote me directly or you don't know how to do that?. What is your point? I made no mention on when he would be back or if he even would be back, bud.

1 minute ago, Sean83 said:

I see your confusion.  It's a tweet from the GDT.  Toffoli not likely to play until at least Game 3 now and since it keeps getting pushed back (I saw the report he'd be back for Game 7 if needed also), what's to say it doesn't continually get pushed back? What I'm saying is we were told we were aiming for Game 7 tonight or even Friday's game was possible.  Now he won't be back until Thursday's game at the very earliest???

So because a guy gets injured, it's a bad trade? I see you are noob on here, perhaps you are a Vegas fan?

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This thread is foolish on so many levels:

1) Toffoli isn’t “done like Ferland”. If he definitely wasn’t going to be able to play at some point, he’d have left the bubble.

2) Without Toffoli for the short period in the regular season, we likely would have ended up behind Flames in points, and faced the Jets in the play-in round. We haven’t fared well against them, and may not have got past them.

3) Toffoli hurt his foot on a shot-block, right? So it stands to reason that if he wasn’t in the team, the injury could still have happened to whoever was in his place at the time. So we could have no Toffoli, AND be down another top-6 winger. Having TT gave us the depth to sustain an injury like his and still ice as good of a lineup.

4) Madden has some upside, but he’s from a surefire NHL-er, and even farther still from an impact player. And even if he does end up a roster player,  how effective can a guy his size truly be - especially in the playoffs?

Well I'll grant you, you raise some good points there especially with Toffoli providing the depth.  Would feel better about no Toffoli if Boesser was producing at the level he's supposed to also.  I'm just frustrated that if we were able to, for once, ice a healthy roster with Myers, Toffoli, Ferland and Leivio, I'd bet you we'd be storming to the Cup for sure right now.  Instead we're heavy underdogs against the sainted Golden Knights. 

9 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

So because a guy gets injured, it's a bad trade? I see you are noob on here, perhaps you are a Vegas fan?

It is a bad trade, yeah, because the truly exceptional players like Crosby, Jake G, Ovechkin, or Oshie don't go down when their teams are ready to make an extended cup run (not talking about Sid's concussion issues but when they were resolved for his cups in 2016/2017 and prior to the concussions in 2009).   Also sucks that he managed to stay healthy during LAK's 2 cup runs but couldn't for us.  History shows that you have to have players who know how to stay healthy to win the cup. 

The real reason I'm pissed though is because I truly believe a healthy Toffoli would go a long way towards winning us the series against VGK alone. 

Edited by Sean83
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1